Breeding Bangaii: Information

howardj

I have become Very intrigued with the thought of breeding Bangaii Cardinalfish, and would really like to proceed in doing so.
I have two books that have information about breeding in general, and a little on Bangaii's. As well as using the internet, I have learned a Lot of things about Bangaii Cardinalfish, and raising the brood, But I am stumped:
How in the WORLD do you start the feeding process?? (AKA - Live Artema)
Bang Guy, I could use your help
As well as anyone else that has breed or has a wealth of knowledge in the category.
Looking for your Stories, Knowledge, Wisdom, and Help
!

fishygurl

if i had the time and patience i would definantly think about breeding this fish you can type in breeding bangaii in the search button and find a bunch of good threads with people that have a lot of knowledge on the subject along with seeing what they did, if you havnt already

bang guy

Freshly hatched Artemia Nauplii (baby brine shrimp) are easy to feed in that baby Banggai will always notice the movement and eat them up greedily. The problem is that they are not a good source of nutrition long term.
Do you have the Banggai fry in a seperate grow-out tank? I need some more specifics on your question I think.

howardj

No, no, no. I don't even have Bangaii's yet.
I would like to get them,
1) I like how they look
2) I would really like to try breeding Salt Water Fish..
I'm just confused about the growing of Live Artemia.
Also have questions about where the babies should go when/if I ever get some.
Should I start a brood tank?
or just have them in a breeding net? (like azfish)

bang guy

I can tell you how I do things.
I don't use Artemia, I use Prawn eggs, pulverized Cyclop-eeze and the smaller particles from when I mince fish foor for the Banggai.
For the Artemia take a 2 liter bottle and add a small amount of Artemia eggs & a cup of tap water, shake & let it sit 2 hours. Then add 1 liter of tank water (saltwater) and an airline set on low to stir up the eggs. 24 hours later enough will have hatched to start feeding them. If you stop the bubbling and place a light on one side of the bottle the hatched artemia will swim over to the lighted side and are easy to siphon out. Avoid the egg shells as best you can and remember that the younger the Artemia the more nutrition.

howardj

I was looking at a book I have. It says use a 32 oz. bottle..
correct me if I am wrong.. Artemia shells float to the top?
Also.. what brand should I order for Artemia?
I think Petsmart has a tube of the San Francisco Bay kind

fmarini

if youd like to do a websearch for my last name and artemia you'll find a number of articles on brine shrimp and other microfood cultures (you'll also notice a number of article on breeding banngais).
Brine shrimp is pretty straight forward, just remember that you will have to enrich the brine shrimp nauplii w/ HUFA enrichments agents prior to feeding.
Guys (bang guy) food mixture takes care of HUFAs by the addition of prawn roe which is loaded w/ HUFAs. A few recent reports also suggest that some banggai fry will hit on frozen nauplii, so try that as well

fmarini

i used to purchase from BSD (brine shrimp direct), i'd buy a large container and spilt into a few aliquots and keep them dry and cold (the eggs oxidze over time)
Over the years Sally brand has done very well. Lastly, you might want to seek decapsulation of BBS, as this is a nice way to use brine nauplii, but not causing problems