Breeding Clownfish

bang guy

Originally Posted by oceana
i chose the limewood becasue i read that the fry can get cought in large bubbles?? do you find this to be wrong??
No, I don't. I just use bigger bubbles, I don't know which is better.
For waterflow I use an el-cheapo sponge filter on the bottom.

neoreef

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
How long were they in the bag?
I've had best luck placing the eggs right at the water surface in the hatching tank and then having the airstone situated so that the water flows over top of the eggs but the air bubbles don't.
So is the tile placed horizintally, with the airstone beneath it so the bubbles flow around the tile and draw water over the eggs? Or some other way?
I thought I was being clever my first time hatching eggs by using an airbar at the base of the tile, tilted against a side wall, nearly vertical. I read that I should not be shy about using lots of air, and I was not. 99% of my hatchlings died immediatly after hatching.....i think they were damaged by too much flow of air. There was even a pile of dead larva on the edge of the tile, on top, driven there, no doubt by the bubbles.
I am waiting for the second spawn from my friend's clownfish, and I wonder if you could help me with this egg/air situation.
Thanks in advance,
Kathy

oceana

hey bang i'm picking up the next set of eggs today
the plan will be to take home enough of the host tank water to fill my rearing tank.
i will be using two air stone in the tank with time one on each side. the eggs will never leave water and they will be kept in the same water,same temp.
any last suggestions.

bang guy

I use a sponge filter and clean it once in a while by just squeezing the gunk off.
It sounds like you're on your way now.
Keep in mind also that the eggs are very sensitive to light. Don't change their lighting schedule even by a few minutes when moving tanks.

oceana

ahh ok. what about the intensity?? the tank they are going in only has stock NO bulb.
and the tank they are coming form i think has PC

oceana

hey Bang
well this batch seems to be doing much better, the eggs are very bright silver right now. and i'm not sure why but when looking into the tank i think I can see little fry. I can find about 4 of them and the rest are still unhatched. what I dont understand is the lights are still on.
why would they hatch ?? it almost looks like they are stuck in the egg. half in half out.
I see two little eyes. then a large orange ish bulg which i think is the yolk. then a skinny little tail that flips around alot. i'm sure they are moving but i'm not sure what they should look like. should i through in rotifers now?? or wait till morning??

oceana

well they did not hatch last night. not sure why. but the 4 or five i saw last night are still swimming around. should i feed them alone or wait till they all hatch. all the eggs are still see through and VERY silver looking. not sure why they did not hatch. i looked in with a flashlight late last night to check on them and from what i have read even a quick flash of light after lights out can delay the hatch for the night. do you find this to be true??

bang guy

Originally Posted by oceana
i have read even a quick flash of light after lights out can delay the hatch for the night. do you find this to be true??
Yes, I have found that to be true.
You should probably start feeding the hatched Clownfish larvae.

bang guy

Originally Posted by vi3tb0i
post some pics oceana
Clownfish larvae are very difficult to photograph.

oceana

like bang just said its tuff to get a pick but since you asked here ya go.
see that little speck in the middle thats a clown fish lol
best i could do for ya sorry
Attachment 184997

oceana

nope. i dont understand. they are still clear and very silver. yet no hatching. from what i read they will soon use all there sack and then die in the egg.

oceana

i have lots of roifer. mater a fact i have them coming out me A## lol why? i happen to live very close to florida aqua farms so its easy for me. i'm thinking about growing and selling them meyself. its so easy to keep them going.
as for the fry they hatched. well atleast alot of them did anyhow. there are still lots unhatched that are still very clean and look good but there is also an uncountable amount in the tank that did hatch. the ones that hatch 2 days ago are swimming around surprisingly well IMO. Some are really zipping around and i can see a few of them eating already. i have the rotifer concentration very high so they cant move more then 2 body lengthes without running into one. its very entertaining to watch the new ones trying to catch the rotifers. must be frustrating lol. wich i could help em haha. today i will be taking an airline and cleaning the tank and doing a small water change. i wonder if the others will hatch tonight
below are a few new picks for vi3tb0i.
the first is the best close up so far of a 2 day old clownfish fry. like said befor its very tuff.
if you notice all the very tiny specs all around them those are rotifers.
Attachment 184998
the rest are just pics of the set up
Attachment 184999Attachment 185000Attachment 185001Attachment 185002Attachment 185003