Breeding Clownfish

C

cesar

OMG your thread is awesome. I followed the whole thread. What dedication you must have to do something like this. I wish I had the patience to do it too. It's too bad you wont mail or else I would get like 4.

silversurf

Wow, after seeing this from NR.com i had to join this post is most impressive! well done!
How big are parents?
-Marty

gmbrown234

I have Percula's that lay eggs every two weeks. They are on their 4th batch of eggs, but I do not have Rotifer's and I believe this is why they are not growing. I have yet to see the eggs hatch but after they go through their stages the eggs disappear, so I can only believe that they have hatched.
Do the larva go to the top of the tank when they hatch? I have these weird things that are on the top of the water that move very fast (They almost look like bugs). I used a flashlight when the lights went out and they all scurried to the light. I am thinking these may be the hatched fish?
Any help on what I should be looking for would be wonderful!

oceana

they hatch about an hour after the lights go out and you use a flashlight and a bowl to collect them- you should really get "clownfishes" by joyce wilkerson, it will tell you everything you need to know. If you do not remove them and place them in their own tank AND supply them with rotifers, they will not survive.

C

cesar

Oh jeez all this talk is very interesting. I have to get the Clownfish book ASAP. Sounds like a good read. :thinking:

fishieness

omg they are so freakin cute.
why wont my ocellarus' breed! They have only been in the tank for like 3-4 months, but still! lol
im trying. Im even going for a HOB overflow instead of taking it down and drilling it and making them get used to everythign again.

jake15

very nice...if you ever decide to ship them i would love two of them and promise a very nice home for them. I have several zoo rocks you would enjoy, clam, or money if you are interested. I really want two of those clowns because clowns around here are all nasty with ick and i dont want that in my reef.

gmbrown234

Percs are still breeding, and I can not find the Clownfishes book anywhere! Can anyone describe what the fish look like after they hatch? I have these weird, what look like bugs on the top of the tank right after the eggs hatch... they move 1000 miles an hour, but they do respond to the flashlight trick. Does anyone think these are the fish?

oceana

Originally Posted by gmbrown234
... they move 1000 miles an hour

I think the percs are only travel around 400mph

oceana

Percs are still breeding, and I can not find the Clownfishes book anywhere! Can anyone describe what the fish look like after they hatch? I have these weird, what look like bugs on the top of the tank right after the eggs hatch... they move 1000 miles an hour, but they do respond to the flashlight trick. Does anyone think these are the fish?
BTW if you wish i can sell you my copy of clownfishes for 20.00

gmbrown234

Yeah these things on the top of the water don't really look like those? I just find it very strange that they appear right after the eggs hatch! My sister went on a field trip and they had eggs that had just hatched, different species, but she says these unidentifieds are definitely the fish? Oceana do you think there is an easier way for me to raise rotifers? I want to raise at least one batch of clowns, just to say I did... I am sure I would be hooked as soon as I started, but I don't want to do all the set up that you went through. I do have an extra tank that I can use to raise the babies... Any ideas?

oceana

Yeah these things on the top of the water don't really look like those? I just find it very strange that they appear right after the eggs hatch! My sister went on a field trip and they had eggs that had just hatched, different species, but she says these unidentifieds are definitely the fish? Oceana do you think there is an easier way for me to raise rotifers? I want to raise at least one batch of clowns, just to say I did... I am sure I would be hooked as soon as I started, but I don't want to do all the set up that you went through. I do have an extra tank that I can use to raise the babies... Any ideas?

there are some LFs that carry rotifers (you just have to call around and find one) you can just use roti rich or one of the algae pastes to maintain them (it costs a little more - I think but is less involved than making green water yourself)
You could also try the local forums/message boards- maybe someone in your area already raises them.
You can also search for "live rotifers" online, there are places that have "instant live rotifers" I have never tried them but If you need them right away, it may work for you.

halo_frk03

Originally Posted by oceana
since they've been in the prop tank that we work in with our hands alot, they've lost all fear-I'll be moving pieces around or putting frag cups in and they swim right into the cup or come up and give me a nibble on the hand
wow ur my hero.. i want to do thata!