Brine shrimp

kinkfish

Does anybody out their raise their own ghost shrimp or brine shrimp for food for their tank livestock?if so please explain,I would like to have some type of hatchery of some sort for my fish

bang guy

Kinda.
I have a 32 gallon Rotifer culture going that I feed Instant Algae. Some of the algae settles and must be removed every couple/few days from the culture vessel to keep the water clean. I siphon this algae from the bottom and dump it in another 32 gallon container (these are Roughneck trash cans) that has a culture of Brine shrimp going. Every once in a while I scoop out some brine shrimp to give the fish a nutritious snack.
I just need to say that in general Brine shrimp are not nutritious but getting them filled up with a nutritious algae makes them a good snack.
I mention this because I see people culturing Brine Shrimp on yeast & other things that keep the shrimp alive but are useless for marine fish.

kinkfish

Thanks for the info but were do you get the brine eggs what type of temp salinity and water movement would you recomend to keep brine and ghost shrimp

bang guy

I've not tried Ghost Shrimp. Artemia eggs are in just about every fish store or can be ordered online.
I don't topoff the water so the Salinity is about 60 - 70ppt. This is off the scale of the swing-arm hydrometers. They do just fine anywhere from 30ppt - 100ppt in my experience.
Idon't heat the container so it swings from 65F in the winter to probably 75 in the summer. I think their ideal temp is around 75F.
I just have a single airstone at the bottom of the container to give the water a slow roll. Artemia are incompatible with powerheads.