Bristle worms good or bad?

smork81

How many is too many? I have a 55g reef set-up. Just recently i started looking at night with a flashlight and notice up to 25+ comming out of the rocks. I can not tell the length of any cause they arent completly out all the way. Is that too many? I haven't noticed any damage to any corals, only concern i have with that is around some of my palys there is a black and white striped worm that i do not know what it is..looks like its munching on them and around them. Anyway, How many are too many is my question??
-nika

adairable

Dearest chinpokomon,
I am actually going to print out your advice/instructions and keep it with the rest of my tank literature. And yes, I am a big nerd! But, I will know exactly how to eradicate those little buggers when I decide they are outta hand! Thanks for your input

trainfever

If you are really concerned about Bristleworms, get a Banded Coral Shrimp, it will eat the Bristleworms.

adairable

Originally Posted by 1knight164
As hideous as they look, I voted yes. As mentioned before, the best way to control them is to make sure you're not overfeeding.

yea so I didn't feed ghost face killa(thats my peppermint shrimp) last night...i hope he's not starvin'

adairable

Originally Posted by trainfever
Try feeding your tank every other day, you dont have to feed every day.
sounds good to me....plus all I have is ghost face killa(peppermint shrimp) some hermits, turbos and the WORMS!

chinpokomon

Originally Posted by Smork81
How many is too many? I have a 55g reef set-up. Just recently i started looking at night with a flashlight and notice up to 25+ comming out of the rocks. I can not tell the length of any cause they arent completly out all the way. Is that too many? I haven't noticed any damage to any corals, only concern i have with that is around some of my palys there is a black and white striped worm that i do not know what it is..looks like its munching on them and around them. Anyway, How many are too many is my question??
-nika
I think the question of how many is too many is determined by the life forms you are keeping and what type of worms you are hosting. In an all fish tank with crabs, snails and starfish I would have no concerns about their type or stocking levels. As stated before in this thread fireworm population will mostly be determined by the amount you over feed the tank this is probably the easiest control method . As for full reef tanks based mainly on soft and hard corals more concern is necessary due to the fact that some (not all) bristleworms can damage or eat them. If you suspect bristleworm damage check for them at night and look closely for bristles shed on or near the victim. I think a tank devoid of fireworms is wishful thinking but steady effort with a worm trap over the course of a week or two can deplete their number to a “safe” level. As for this magic number there isn’t one, as long as a few exist you’ll have more soon enough. But in my opinion the lower their number the less a chance their population will exhaust their detritus supply and move on to your corals and Anemones. I think without evidence of them doing damage their population level is a matter of your comfort level. Remember if you have a lot of them this indicates overfeeding moving them won’t stop the overfeeding it will only remove your clean up crew.
As for the black and white worms preying on your palys I would google fireworm trap and try it on them. If it doesn’t work then you may need to manually catch or kill them to protect your lifeforms. If you do get a trap one thing I forgot to mention is that the trap must be completely filled will water to work properly. You may need to shake the trap underwater to remove all the air in it before you place it.

1knight164

Originally Posted by trainfever
If you are really concerned about Bristleworms, get a Banded Coral Shrimp, it will eat the Bristleworms.
I bought one just for that reason, but I got a dud. It ignores the bristleworms and seems more interested in terrorizing my cleaner and peppermints. Bad combination, I know.