Bristle worms good or bad?

adairable

So I am getting mixed reviews on the bristleworms that reside in my tank
Are they good or bad?
There are more than a few and I recently saw one trying to eat the same food pellet that my peppermint shrimp was chowing down on
and having a hard time keeping to himself....just to give you a scale of the "Big Pappa Bristle" as I have named him!

The others are quite small and don't bother me, but Pappa is SCARY! :scared:
So what do you think?

nigerbang

When in check they can be great to have...Sand sifters and all that jazz....But when outta control they can be a real pest...

adairable

Originally Posted by NigerBang
When in check they can be great to have...Sand sifters and all that jazz....But when outta control they can be a real pest...
What do they do that is pesty? :thinking:

nygel

i voted bad cuz i've had luck getting 1+foot ones in my tank on 3 occasions, one was over 2 feet in a TEN GALLON! and the other was about a foot in my 29g, i have a unknown length one in their now that is about a half an inch wide, so i believe its pretty big. but in general, they are good, kill them when they get big though.

adairable

Originally Posted by nYgel
i voted bad cuz i've had luck getting 1+foot ones in my tank on 3 occasions, one was over 2 feet in a TEN GALLON! and the other was about a foot in my 29g, i have a unknown length one in their now that is about a half an inch wide, so i believe its pretty big. but in general, they are good, kill them when they get big though.
:scared: OMG it was 2feet! That is like a snake! I hope mine don't get that big :thinking: but if they do how did you get rid of yours???? Did you ever get hurt by it????

bang guy

In my opinion large Bristleworms are just as beneficial as small ones, perhaps even more beneficial.
There are a few species that are not reef friendly, the other 10,000 species are beneficial, attractive, or neutral.

nygel

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
In my opinion large Bristleworms are just as beneficial as small ones, perhaps even more beneficial.
There are a few species that are not reef friendly, the other 10,000 species are beneficial, attractive, or neutral.
I saw mine kill things :( it was like a normal bristle worm just EXTREMELY red.
the first one i got out drip method style
second ....tweezers :)

adairable

Would you mind telling me the names of those two so I can make sure I don't have them?!?!?!!!

adairable

Originally Posted by nYgel
I saw mine kill things :( it was like a normal bristle worm just EXTREMELY red.
the first one i got out drip method style
second ....tweezers :)
HAHAHA tweezers....and I thought they were just for my eyebrows...

bang guy

Originally Posted by Adairable
Would you mind telling me the names of those two so I can make sure I don't have them?!?!?!!!
Hermodice carunculata is one of the prettier ones.
Eunice aphroditois is one of the more terrifying ones.
I currently have a Schistomeringos nigridentata that is munching on a Finger Leather at night. So far the Leather is reacting in a desireable way so I'm leaving the worm in place.
Some of the good Bristleworms include Hair Worms, Spaghetti Worms, Feather Dusters, common Fireworms, etc.

adairable

Hermodice carunculata is one of the prettier ones.
Eunice aphroditois is one of the more terrifying ones.
I currently have a Schistomeringos nigridentata that is munching on a Finger Leather at night. So far the Leather is reacting in a desireable way so I'm leaving the worm in place.
Some of the good Bristleworms include Hair Worms, Spaghetti Worms, Feather Dusters, common Fireworms, etc.
i think i just have the common ones...kinda two toned and def not as scary as the eunice aphroditois! What's with the ugly one have Aphrodite in its name?! Thats ironic

bang guy

i think i just have the common ones...kinda two toned and def not as scary as the eunice aphroditois! What's with the ugly one have Aphrodite in its name?! Thats ironic

The common name is the Bobbit Worm (named after John Bobbit...).

adairable

The common name is the Bobbit Worm (named after John Bobbit...).
the one i have is called a Bobbit worm?! oh thats great!

good alex

wow i dident kno bristle worms could be good, i got some one time and they ate my cleaner shrimp!! Guess i got the bad kind

alyssia

Originally Posted by Good Alex
wow i dident kno bristle worms could be good, i got some one time and they ate my cleaner shrimp!! Guess i got the bad kind

Yes, they are actually desirable scavengers.

bs21

i have two pretty cool lookin ones that i have seen and are a real bright red color and they are only a couple inches. so far they haven't bothered anything but time will tell

joojoo

the one i have is called a Bobbit worm?! oh thats great!
O goodness no, Google "bobbit worm" ... that's scary movie material.

adairable

Originally Posted by joojoo
O goodness no, Google "bobbit worm" ... that's scary movie material.
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH! :scared:

So i googled Bobbit worm andnow I am going to have nightmares for weeks!
Def scary movie worthy!
I am so glad I don't have one residing in my tank.....just my dreams! :scared: !!!!

adairable

Originally Posted by bs21
i have two pretty cool lookin ones that i have seen and are a real bright red color and they are only a couple inches. so far they haven't bothered anything but time will tell
the guy above had that same description and his was eating things! check it out and make sure it isn't one of the few bad ones!

bang guy

Originally Posted by Good Alex
I don't know of any that would or even could eat a live Cleaner Shrimp. Are you sure the Shrimp was alive?