bristle worms

new

i have what i think is a rather large bristle worm on my LR. it is at least 1 1/2" long and looks like an elephants trunk. i believe it to be responsible for the death of an emerald crab and what looked like a stone crab hitcher. will a baster full of hot FW work on them or do they move around alot?

Just pick it out of the tank with a pair of tweesers. Don't endanger the other tank inhabitants kill once it is out of the tank and despose of it.
Adam

new

beth that size is just what i have seen of it. like i said looks like a elephants trunk with coloration very close to that of a coral banded shrimp. the diameter of what i have seen is in the neighboorhood of 1/4". i am not sure that it killed either of the crabs but the emerald was last seen where he is as was an empty shell, thought it molted but havent seen it in about a week and got buble algea all over. the other crab was a hitcher and his empty shell was found at the same spot but could also be a molt.

bang guy

1.5" is just a baby. I'm 99.9% positive that your Bristle Worm is incapable of eating any live crab. Just let it be to do its job :)

hunterdaddy

Bristle worms can eat shrimp. Dont know about live crabs. That one is just a baby I have seen them 7-8 inches long.

megadon

I have rather large one in my tank and plan to yank him out when I see him again, I've seen it stretched out about 8", my Shrimp and Emerald crabs have survived it so far.

jonthefb

1.5 inches is rather small, can you be a little more specific about the coloration? Common bristle worms are half pink, and half purple with tiny white packets of bristles at each segment of the worm. Not sure if this is what you see in your tank or not!
good luck
jon

bang guy

Originally posted by sgt__york
don't bristle worms also eat clams, snails and some soft corals?

No. They will eat a dead clam and that puts them at the scene of the crime. There are a few coral eating bristle worms but they're pretty rare. Not unheard of, just rare.

new

it seems the consenses here is that its probably not a bristle worm and that its just a coincidence that the shells were near his home so i will leave him be:) thats why i come here before i do these things:). elephant trunk is really about the best discription i can think of for him:) has i think 4 small anttenna on the end and he is nocturnal. the coloring is a white band then a band of a shimmery pink/purple color and it does appear to have small tufts of hair running the length of his body. not the best description and i will try to get a pic if i can but might be hard as it really dosent like the light at all. only get a glimpse with a flashlight before he retreats.

bang guy

If it's a bristle worm it should have 5 antenna. It's probably gathering the shells to help build its cave.
Here's a couple pics of one of mine. This particular species is completely harmless and can grow to 6 feet.

shawnsghost

Bang Guy... That is the without a doubt best b-worm pic I've seen. What did you use to take it?
I have a large number of these worms with sizes from 1 inch to six. I have personaly seen one get hold of a small damsel. The fish tore the worm up!!! With the great defenance your crabs have I dont belive its a worm whos the culprit. I would almost bet that if there are no improper conditions in your tank that your crabs just molted and are hiding in the rock-work. I've had crabs dissapear for 6-7 weeks and was sure they were gone and presto... There Back...
Good luck I hope they turn up.
SG

bang guy

Originally posted by Shawnsghost
Bang Guy... That is the without a doubt best b-worm pic I've seen. What did you use to take it?

Hey! Thank you SG :) I use a Kodak DC290.