Bristle Worms

aftrhrs

What fish is good to clean out bristle worms? I was looking at my tank last night and they are starting to get big. Is there any benefit to letting them stay in my tank?
thanks

sal t. nutz

My understanding, and I could be wrong, is that they are a good thing as they keep your sandbed turned over and clean. I don't have any and I was actually considering buying some and adding them to my tank.

aftrhrs

Thanks for the information. I wasn't sure if that would start killing my snails and crabs or if they would just be peaceful.

broncofish

Originally posted by compliance
....... at least 1 that the wife reported as being a foot long. (thankfully she's got a warped concept of length;) ) They don't bother anything.

First off that was funny, second keep them, I have one that is at least 7". I think like one in 10 thousand is a bad specie. Odds of getting it is darn low.

I think bristle worms get a bad rap...I have one in my tank somewhere, I dont see him very often. 2" long maybe. The many scavengers and detrivores, but usually they are labelled as pests.
In Nick Dakin's book they are listed as pests and it even shows a picture of bristle worms attacking a goby. This I feel is a gross injustice. The goby was probably on its last limb and the bristles were just doing what they do, scavenging. Its like seeing a vulture eating roadkill and blaming the vulture for the death of the animal, when more likely it was a fast moving Chevy!!(or whatever vehicle you want to sub in)
IMO, they are OK. Great for sand beds.
MCF

shels

I have a bunch in my overflow, I have never seen any in the tank. They are not hurting anything as far as I can tell, I was thinking of cleaning out the overflow to get rid of them, but everyone here said they are fine where they are. Acutally my tank is doing extremly well, no problems for the past year. (Watch, now something is going to happen, since I said that) LOL
Shel

Shels....
LOLOLOL I agree.. I am "knocking on wood" for ya!!!
I actually took some out when I moved my LR around.. Geesh!!!!!!!! I still have one that i keep seeing.. so If hes good.. He stays..LOL
Kim

bang guy

The vast majority of Bristle worms are harmless regardless of their size. I do keep an eye on the Eunicid sp. type of Bristle Worm though. Most of them are fine but the odds of getting a predator increase with this type of worm.

angelofish

I saw my Cleaner Shrimp eat a smaller one the other day. He spit out the last bit of it a couple of times before finishing it.

leviwin

Almost everything I've read says that they are pretty good.
They are alot like earthworms in your grass. One or two types are bad, but the chances of them being this type are pretty low. If you want to get rid of them or try to keep them under control you can get a Coral Banded shrimp or a Neon Dottyback. I used to have a couple of Bristle worm that were 2-3 inches long, but my Peppermint shrimp made a quick meal out of them. It was pretty cool to watch. Just before going to bed i watched it pull the worm out of my live rock.