bristleworm?!

daisy

I've had my tank up and running for two years. It's a 55 gallon. The first thing I ever put in it were about 20 pounds of LR and 12 damsels. I was so excited because the LR (though it was mostly dead, but I was such a novice that I didn't know what I was buying) had one live thing on it. It was a very small worm. Most of its body was pink, though the middle region was dark colored. There were white hairs on each side of the body going down the sides every millimeter or so. I thought it was cute.
I have been told since then that these are bristleworms. My cc is FULL of them at this point. I find them when I do water changes. I find them crawling on the rocks. They're mostly out of sight, but I know they are there.
So two questions -- are these definitely bristleworms, because they do not look like the bristleworms in the pictures in the books, but then, they do not look like any other worms in the books. And are they awful / do I need to try to get rid of them?
Thanks for your advice!

carrie1429

They sound like bristle worms to me. They can be different colors so thats why they don't look the same in the book. Leave them in (unless you have too many) they are very benificial to your tank and a good part of the clean up crew. Although there have been myths that they don't do well in reef tanks due to eating corals but most of the time they are wanted in most tanks. Just don't touch them they can hurt pretty bad if their bristles get you.

daisy

I know that they are moving the CC around, so they are aerating it. I also know that they must be eating stuff that would otherwise be detritus, and that is good, as well. Are there any animals they would disturb other than corals? Would it be safe for me to get a fish like a goby that spends lots of time on the substrate, or would the worms attack it when it is "sleeping?"

carrie1429

It is very good that they are eating the detritus. I have had some of the larger worms eat my snails, but that could of been bcause there was something wrong with the snail. And no I don't think bristle worms will eat fish.

kens

if you feel that the bristle worms are too numerous and becoming a problem you can get an arrow crab, they will eat them

daisy

I would love to get an arrow crab, but I read that they also eat any crustaceans. Do you have any idea if they are hazardous to other stuff in my tank? I have some snails with featherdusters on them, and some stationary featherdusters. I'm planning on getting more snails, some shrimp and another two or three small fish.

derrickt

Isn't this hobby confusing, Daisy? Hehe, but Bristle worms are a good problem to have. Just remember to wear gloves when trying to remove by hand.

carrie1429

Arrow crabs do sometimes eat fish if they can catch them and if the crab is large enough, And if there is enough space you could have an arrow crab with shrimp. I have successfully kept two arrow crabs with many shrimp and they all got along ina an 84ga. I also read that arrow crabs will somtimes eat feather dusters but I never had a problem with mine eating them, but these crabs are fun to have. Sometimes they can have pretty funny personalities

jodeman

bristle worms are a good thing! I have many of them in my tank, and have only had 1 that caused a problem. Got up one morning and found 1 eating a shroom. He was fully exposed while eating the shroom, so I removed him with my plastic tongs. I removed that one because he was causing a problem, but would not even consider removing a bristle worm unless it was causing a known problem. They're great for removing poop.

daisy

jodeman, how big was this worm? I saw a bristleworm in the bahamas snorkling a few months ago that was easily a foot long and three inches wide. The biggest worm I have ever seen in my tank was about an inch long and as wide as a ball-point pen ink cartridge. I just want a comparison to go by.

saltyrich

Typically they are excellent. Arrow crabs will eat them if they are not too big. Current research suggests that they will eat primarily dead organisms, but will consume living things that are definately on the way down and dying. They are probably the best member of a cleanup crew you could have. IMO

daisy

jodeman, How old is your set-up? How long did it take these worms to get that big? Are my bristleworms going to get that big, or do you think there are different species and maybe mine won't become killers?

bang guy

Originally posted by daisy:
<strong>or do you think there are different species and maybe mine won't become killers?</strong><hr></blockquote>
There are thousands of different species of Bristleworms, possibly tens of thousands. Out of those thousands there are a dozen or so of species that will eat coral. Most of the coral munchers can only eat Gorgonians.
If you haven't seen any evidence of problems yet you probably never will. I'd leave them and be thankfull I have such an efficient cleanup crew.
Guy

beth

Administrator
Staff member
The bristleworm [fireworm] that you describe is the most common species in a tank containing LR. They are very beneficial to your aquaria ecosystem, particularly the substrate; and, unless a hobbyist has encountered one that has grown to several inches, at which point this species might become predatory, then I would leave them alone and be very happy that you have them.
If you see this type bristleworm eating a snail, or anything else, you can bet that the snail was already dead, and the worm is just doing its duty as a detritivore. I have seen these worms crawling all over my coral, mushrooms, and even my snails during feeding time, with no ill-effects. If you add a bristleworm predator, then you might wipe the population out to such an extend that your substrate is not getting the free cleaning service you are currently enjoying. I'd say, if it works, don't fix it.
They get a bum rap, just like snakes do.
:D

daisy

Thanks, Beth. They really do get a bum rap. The books don't even talk about the possible benefits your tank gets from them -- only that they are to be avoided at all costs. Ridiculous. Thanks everybody. I'm satisfied. Arrow crabs are not for me. :)