Brittle Star/Serpent Star

mombostic

I'm looking into getting one of these stars for my tank. I think they are pretty interesting, and my tank is sort of invert-less right at the moment. I have a cleaner shrimp and a handful each of snails and hermits.
I was wondering what the differences are between these two kinds of stars? Is one more suitable than the other? I do NOT want a predator in the tank, if I can help it. I'm also interested in detrius clean-up, and I read that some of these are good for that. There are several to chose from, and I know to stay away from the green brittle star (I think), but apart from that I can't find a whole lot about the different kinds. Here's a rundown of the tank situation.
75 gallon, a few simple corals, not really a REEF.
300 watt MH
Penguin Bio Wheel Filter
Aqua C Remora Skimmer
4 powerheads (the big penguins, I can't remember the GPH right off)
250W heater
80-90 lbs of live rock
sand substrate
Lyretail Anthias
2 Percula Clowns
Royal Gramma
Sixline Wrasse
Coral Beauty
1 BTA
My parameters are:
temp--78
PH. 8.0
Alk. 3.5
Salinity--35
Amm-0
Nitrites-0
Nitrates-<10
Thanks!

reefkprz

There really isnt a difference they are both brittle stars. just the way the spines lay are different believe it or not a species of brittle may be closer related to a serpent than another brittle that looks almost Identicle. Only in this hobby do we seperate them as serpent and brittle.

joojoo

While reefkprZ statement may be true, I have both, as we know them, Serpent and Brittle star. The Brittle is always hiding under rocks sticking his arms out, but the Serpent is usually out in view, either sitting out in the open or only half under rocks. So if you want something you'll be able to see, go with the Serpent... plus if you're lucky, you can find some red, purple, and pink colormorphs.

tutak

I just bought a brittle star and it's pretty cool. It's fun to feed it because it eats really fast before your eyes. They do though seem pretty reclusive and you wont see them the most. Go crazy and get both.

mombostic

I'm not sure my tank will support two of them. Are all of them considered detrius eaters or just certain ones? Are any more delicate than others? Just basically I was wondering if there was a "best" choice.

reefkprz

they are all pretty much the same except the green is more predatory in nature than the rest. A 75g could easily support 5 brittles IMO my friend has a 55g reef with no fish, just corals and 15brittlestars of variing color and style. he feeds them of course.

I got a green brittle star as one of my first critters. I was hoping he would help clean the tank. He did for the first few weeks. Now, he just sits in his cave and waits for me to give hime a shimp! He's lazy, but when his disk is all deflated I kinda feel bad. I tried to wait him out and not feed him, and his legs started to look bad. Since he's been getting his shrimp dinners, he's looking good....still lazy tho.

joojoo

Originally Posted by Neptunes ghost
I got a green brittle star as one of my first critters. I was hoping he would help clean the tank. He did for the first few weeks. Now, he just sits in his cave and waits for me to give hime a shimp! He's lazy, but when his disk is all deflated I kinda feel bad. I tried to wait him out and not feed him, and his legs started to look bad. Since he's been getting his shrimp dinners, he's looking good....still lazy tho.
Lol exactly. I don't think I even have a clean up crew anymore. I'm like "Aww little nassarious snail looks hungry" and I give everyone a piece of food...

30-xtra high

it'll probably eat your shrimp.. my brittle is bout 2 feet tip to tip, and it eats a couple silversides a day, my friend (the former owner) fed him/her krill, and thats about the size of a cleaner..

mombostic

They will eat cleaner shrimp?!?!!? This is a big no-no as far as I'm concerned! I don't push it on anyone else, but I think a cleaner is an absolute necessity in this hobby. That's just my opinion, so I don't really want to get into it with anyone or anything like that, but I DO NOT want anything in my tank that will eat my shrimp. The shrimp is of average size, maybe three inches from head to tail.

reefkprz

Originally Posted by 30-xtra high
it'll probably eat your shrimp.. my brittle is bout 2 feet tip to tip, and it eats a couple silversides a day, my friend (the former owner) fed him/her krill, and thats about the size of a cleaner..
Brittle stars are not going to eat their cleaner (with the exception of the green) they are non predatory detritivores. an excellent addition to a peacful reef. there is a difference between a star eating dead shrimp and preying on living healthy shrimp. that was a very unnescesary and misleading comment.

mombostic

Don't scare me like that. My heart can't take that kind of shock--ha, ha.
I think they're great looking. I was a little creeped out by them at first. I saw a striped one in a dealer tank and it was pretty fascinating to watch. I'd like to have one, I just want to be sure.
Also, when you talk about silversides, is that something that you buy in the "human food" section of the supermarket?

mombostic

Really? I don't remember every seeing them. Hmmm....I'll have to ask someone. So far I've been doing chopped shrimp and squid for the BTA, but I read that they do better with some fish tissue, so I thought I'd try it. Thanks for all of the replies!

reefkprz

you can get whitefish or haddock or squid or clam or shrimp at your grocers, just dont use salmon or tuna its very fatty/oily and can crap up your water fast. make sure whatever meaty food you use is raw.

mombostic

It definately needs to be a saltwater fish, right? That's a good tip about the tuna and/or salmon. I assume all of these tips apply for the brittle/serpent stars, too? They can eat all of that stuff? (I did know they had to be raw.)

reefkprz

thats right it has to be marine based meat, FW meat just isnt nutritious enough.
they can eat all that and more, they even eat fish waste. they consume shrimps shed exo skeletons I have pictures of one of my deceased ones doing just that.

mombostic

Can you "overfeed" them? If I only have one or even two, will they get enough by eating the waste and food that falls to the bottom and all of that? Or is it still necessary to feed them? How often?

reefkprz

I dont spot feed mine. its pretty rare that you have to spot feed them. if they are constantly out and moving around while the lights are on its a good sign that they are very hungry and searching for something to eat (sometimes they come out anyways) but they can sense light and it makes them feel exposed they will usually hide and you'll only see them once in a while. I had one I didn't see for 6 months. usually you'll see an arm or two reach out from under a rock and pick up food. or they will come out at feeding time when they can "smell" the food. If your lucky they will pick a cave you can see into as a hiding spot.

ophiura

As mentioned, there is NO biological distinction between brittle and serpentstars. This is a distinction made in the trade only, and not even consistently at that. But there is no real difference.
There is no behavioral difference between these that can be made as a general rule. I have aggressive brittles, and passive...I have aggressive "serpents" and passive.
I do not recommend the green brittlestar Ophiarachna incrassata, a KNOWN predator.
Not all brittlestars will get as large as this one does. Not all are likely to be predatory. However, know that ANYTHING is possible. Like many other common inverts, such as crabs, hermits, shrimp, anemones - they MAY cause trouble. There is no way to know absolutes.
It is not likely in most cases, but nearly every species has been implicated in some way in some death, and probably nearly always in error.