Brooklynella Treatment

gmidd

I just lost a Gramma and will lose a Goby by morning since the stores are closed. I still have a clown that I hope I can save.
Do you move the fish to a QT or just get them from the DT to do the bath? Can Brooklynella only host on a fish or should I treat my Tank somehow?

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Gmidd
I just lost a Gramma and will lose a Goby by morning since the stores are closed. I still have a clown that I hope I can save.
Do you move the fish to a QT or just get them from the DT to do the bath? Can Brooklynella only host on a fish or should I treat my Tank somehow?
Are you sure they all have brooklynella? You can treat from either the qt or the display but the baths need to be done in a bucket. Look in Beth's Common Treatments FAQ. She gives detailed instructions on how to give the baths.

gmidd

I'm most certain its Brooklynella. As the fish are showing all the signs and much like the pictures of the disease. Loss of appatite, lathargic, gasping for air at the surface, grey-white mucus and tattered fins. It was very aggresive with both the Royal Gramma (which was the host), who died within 12 hours after showing very little signs of mucus. The Goby, barely alive ATM, also showed no signs, then within 6 hours was covered in mucus.
Unfortunately I can't find Formalin 3 for the bucket treatment. According to one store they said its banned in the USA by the FDA due to the strenth of the medacine.
I did get a product called QuICK Cure with Formalin and Malachite Green. Its the only product I could find that treats Protozoan Parasites. 1 drop per gallon in the QT tank.
I lowered the Salinity to 1.010 and added 10 drops of the QuICK Cure.The Goby is taking very shallow breaths with a large gulp every 5 minutes or so. The Clown seems to be fine, just a little freaked being in the QT.

gmidd

I added this pic. He's only sitting up because I propped him up. You can't really see the mucus with this pic, you can see it on the fins and how they are a bit tattered. The Gobies fins aren't near as bad as the Gramma's was.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
I really don't see brooklynella in that picture. Those symptoms can be a bacterial infection. If the fish is in an established QT, begin treatment with Maracyn Two for SW fish.

gmidd

Originally Posted by Beth
I really don't see brooklynella in that picture. Those symptoms can be a bacterial infection. If the fish is in an established QT, begin treatment with Maracyn Two for SW fish.
Maybe the pic isn't doing justice and what is it your looking for? You can't see the mucus well... the pics you post of Brooklynella is exactly how both fish looked. the Clown is showing signs of the early stages of Brooklynella, minus the mucus and tattered fins. As far as the Bacterial Infection the Goby nor the Gramma have the red bloches.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Was a new addition in the same tank with infected clownfish (even at LFS)? Notice peeling?

gmidd

I believe the Gramma was infected since all this started days after I added him. I only QT'd him 7 days since he looked very healthy (the last time I'll make this mistake). A few days after I added him I did notice what looked like a little mucus, which I thought was just dirt from hiding in one spot for hours. 3 days later the Gramma was dead. Mucus and tattered fins appeared over the middle of the night. I thought maybe the Goby and him got in a fight because it did find a home in one of the Gobies burrows the night before. Then the Goby stayed in hiding for a full day only to reappear with blotches of grey-white mucus yesterday. The Clown, as stated above, started acting out of the norm a day before the Gramma's death. This morning the Clown was very lethargic and hovering just above the sand. Today I added the Goby and the Clown in the medicated QT as stated above also. Since I work 3rd shift I just woke up to discover the Goby died. the Clown seems to be doing fine, in the back of the tank swimming up and down.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Notice any peeling, rapid gilling. Look with a magnifying glass to see what the gills look like. Mucus is common in bacterial infections as well. And many infections do not result in redness. However, that this is happening to all fish is odd. Brooklynella will have the mucus but then the pealing as well, rapid gilling, and death is usually rather rapid. And it is more so a clownfish disease.

gmidd

There was, what looked like, peeling on the Goby. I tossed the fish before you posted so I wasn't able to look at the gills. As for gilling, are you refering to shallow rapid breathing? This disease was very rapid IMO and could have been a few hours on each fish. As soon as the Gramma died the Goby was infected within 12 hours, likely because the shared the same burrow.
At this point I'm at a loss how to treat the Clown. Saddly I had to work early so I can't keep an eye on him tonight. If the pattern continues, Nemo only has a day left. If it is Brooklynella, I do have him in QT with a 1.010 salinity and medicated but I'm not confident in the med itself. If its not Brooklynella I'm at a total loss

sepulatian

Quick cure will not treat brooklynella. It is about 3-4% foramalin. Formalin is NOT banned in the US. Check this site to see if they sell it or google it. I am sorry you lost the other two, but it is unlikely that they had brook. Can you post your water parameters for us for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph, kh, sg, and temp? How long had you had these other fish? Are you certain it wasn't bacterial?

gmidd

This is from a related thread so I copied it here.
Sg 1.025
Ammonia 0
Nitrites 0
Nitrate 0-5
Ph 8.0
Temp 78
Kh ? (just have the basic test kit.
I thought it was Brook, so at this point I'm not certain of anything. All the the signs point to Brooklynella according to the symptoms and pics Beth posted. But both of you are very experienced and feel it may be bacterial, and if it is why is it so aggressive? I'm talking about hours between first signs of symptoms and death. What ever it is, it all started with the Gramma.
As for the Formulin 3 I couldn't find it anywhere and the one store manager told me of the ban. But he was pretty uneducated on treatment so I'm not shocked he was wrong.

sepulatian

That is very strange that it killed so quickly. I assume you observe your fish quite frequently. When did you get these fish that died? When did you get the clown?

sepulatian

Heres a link when this all started, it has alot of info. Thanks for the help...
https://forums.saltwaterfish.com/t/265793/help-somethings-not-right
Its looking like I may not know what happened and just cut my losses and DEFIANTLY Qt for 14 to 30 days, not 7 and "oh he looks fine". I'll keep an eye on Nemo and let the DT stay fishless for at least 4 weeks to play it safe.
No, Gmidd, you need to qt for AT LEAST 3 weeks, 4 is better. By that time any disease will have shown itself and you can get the fish eating without competition from other fish. I am glad that you now see the reason to qt a fish. My last fish was qt'd for over a month. I never saw a spot on him, he readily accepted frozen foods when I got him. He was held at the lfs for a few weeks, I saw him snatch food out of the persons hand, the fish he was in with looked excellent. I still qt'd him for over a month. You work hard to keep your display beautifull, don't waste all of that by adding a fish too soon. Patients is a virtue, espcially in this hobby! You want your experience to be geat? QT everything.

sepulatian

Sign me up for the QT Choir.
LOL it sounds like it is a great big pain, but trust me, it is not. You will have piece of mind knowing that you are not introducing contaminated fish into your display, the fish will eat better for you without competition for food. You will begin to be anal about what goes into your system. That is a very good thing!!!! There are many successfull and experienced hobbiests on here that will not allow ANYTHNG to enter their tank without being quarantined. Trust me, you will enjoy this hobby a whole lot more when you have a disease free system. You will see what I mean about becoming overly cautious. Think of your system as a steril environment that you work hard to keep that way. Do you want to contaminate it because of lack of patients? Ok, all of that being said, do you have more fish still in your display?

gmidd

The only fish left is the Clown which is in QT. I did put 10 drops of the QuICK Cure in the QT in the morning when I transfered the Clown and the Goby, the clown was doing fine when I left for work at 6pm. He was kinda sitting on the bottom corner then would swim up and about then head be for the corner. Like I said I'll keep my eye on him and will keep my DT fishfree for 6 weeks.
I did express order the Formulin 3. Should I try and treat him as if its Bacteria and see how he does?

sepulatian

The only fish left is the Clown which is in QT. I did put 10 drops of the QuICK Cure in the QT in the morning when I transfered the Clown and the Goby, the clown was doing fine when I left for work at 6pm. He was kinda sitting on the bottom corner then would swim up and about then head be for the corner. Like I said I'll keep my eye on him and will keep my DT fishfree for 6 weeks.
I did express order the Formulin 3. Should I try and treat him as if its Bacteria and see how he does?
Stop using the quick cure. That stuff is very harsh and there is not enough formalin in it to help anyway. I wouldn't use that stuff on cichlids which can handle almost anything. There is more malechite in it than anything. What are you feeding? Are you using vitamines? The only one I can see getting brook is the clown. Have you looked at Beth's FAQ on Brooklynella? Clownfish have a thicker mucas coat than most fish so they can go into anemones without getting stung. It is that extra layer that brook seems to infect. This is why I doubt the other two had it. They don't have the extra layer that brook seems to infect. I am not saying that they can't get it, but there is a reason this is called "clown disease" How is the clown looking tonight?

gmidd

I won't be home until 7am so I hope he's fine. I'm feeding him Pellets but he didn't eat today. No vitamins.
I did read up on Beth's Brook and even went to outside sources, thats why I'm still leaning toward Brook was the cause. Its the only thing I've read that similar to what the fish experienced. While it is common with clowns it had been known to show up on other fish.
My reading on Brooklynella is the Parasite attaches to the hosts gills and spreads from there. One of the first symptoms is swimming to the top of the tank gulping at the surface due to the gills be infested with the fast producing parasites, lost interest in feeding, lathargic, then the twitching, scratching, and then the mucus forming. All but the mucus my clown had shown signs of.
I'll do a 50% water change. Should I keep the SG at 1.010? And treat for Bacteria?