Brown Live Rock

Hey all...it's me again...SCsaltywater. Things are going fine. I've only lost one fish...a Powder Blue Tang. I have another question about live rock. Is live rock suppose to turn brown before it turns green and purple? What are the stages of color for the live rock? I'm using Purple Up everyday.
Thanks again to all of you whom have help me out so much.

Originally Posted by WHO DEY
got a pic of ur brown??

No..but it was white, now it's starting to turn deep tan color. Does that help? It's cured rock from the LFS.

Could it be because I leave the overhead flourscent light on too long? I leave it on for about 8 hours a day. I have 2 corals...a Pink Tip Haitian Anemone and a leather toadstool.

Originally Posted by garnet13aj
Could it be diatoms or is the actual rock brown?
The rock is actually turning from white to a brownish color. I don't know if this is part of the process to getting it "green-purple."

prob diatoms. how old is ur tank and what are ur water parameters?
What are diatoms? Are they part of the process? If not, will they go away?
My tank is fairly new. Remember, I'm the one who ordered a lot of fish, and cancelled as much as possible.
The salty is 1.024
Nitrite is .5
Alkalinity is 180
Ph level is 7.8
Nitrate is 40

Originally Posted by ROYAL GANG
pH!!!!! 8.1-8.3

Would that be causing it? I have some stuff to increase the pH. What are diatoms? Do they go away? Is is part of the process? Please help.

who dey

Originally Posted by ROYAL GANG
pH!!!!! 8.1-8.3
i see no problem with that ph leve. It's your nitrates that are a concern. Nitrates should very seldome excede .20 and if so, it's time to change water

kayak385

Originally Posted by SCsaltywater
Would that be causing it? I have some stuff to increase the pH. What are diatoms? Do they go away? Is is part of the process? Please help.
Coming from a chemical engineering background... I would suggest a buffer
before a pH increase/decrease substance.

i see no problem with that ph leve. It's your nitrates that are a concern. Nitrates should very seldome excede .20 and if so, it's time to change water

It's actually a little less than .20...but it wasn't quite at 0. Somewhere in between there.

when you say ur tank is new, can u be more specific?

It has been up and running salt water for 12 days. BUT it was recently a fresh water aquarium for over 4 years. I kept the same wet/dry filters and bio-filter to help with the process. I have a lot of fish, due to my error buying to many at once. But once again, I have only lost one, and the rest seem to be doing fine. I used Bio-sphere to help with the cycling process, and it seemed to work somewhat because my parms are not off the charts.
My only concern is that my white rock is turning a brownish color. Is this normal? Is this part of the continuous curing of the rock to get it to the purple-green color looking rock? I use Purple Up everyday.

who dey

wow you have a big problem on ur hands. Immediately i would take all those fish to a LFS for a credit when ur tank is ready for animals. Your tank isn't even close to cycling yet. Are u familiar with the cycling process (i hope)

wow you have a big problem on ur hands. Immediately i would take all those fish to a LFS for a credit when ur tank is ready for animals. Your tank isn't even close to cycling yet. Are u familiar with the cycling process (i hope)

Yes, and I think everyone on this website remembers that I made a mistake by rushing this process. But I need to know what could be causing the white rock to brown? I'm hoping it's part of the "aging of the rock process." Is it?
Btw...i bought all the fish from this site, and cancelled as much as possible. I placed several orders, and was able to cancel them all except for one.

who dey

ur diatoms are part of the cycling process. Don't rush coraline growth you are lightyears away from it. Stop using purple up it will screw up ur ph. Saltwater unlike fresh is a very slow, patient, hobby. Add slow and things will grow. Do you have LR in ur tank?? or just dead rock

ur diatoms are part of the cycling process. Don't rush coraline growth you are lightyears away from it. Stop using purple up it will screw up ur ph. Saltwater unlike fresh is a very slow, patient, hobby. Add slow and things will grow. Do you have LR in ur tank?? or just dead rock

I have LR also. Is dead rock the white rock? I'm still learning, and I appreciate your help!!!!!

who dey

Originally Posted by SCsaltywater
I have LR also. Is dead rock the white rock? I'm still learning, and I appreciate your help!!!!!

yes the white rock is dead rock. Can you post pics of ur setup? It would really help me out. Are you going for a reef tank or a fish only tank. Your system will be alot more stable with some live rock in there