Brttle star issues

turningtim

Is it possible for a large green brittle (8-10" arm to arm) take down fish? I have lost to of my smaller fish in a week. First was my Flame angel and unfortunately I wasn't here to see what happened. Then my Scissor tail red Anthais.
Its a mixed reef and water param's are well in line with normal.
Nothing has changed and both these fish have been in the tank for months.
Could it be my bitchy GSM getting to big for her britches?
thanks
Tim

larryndana

Originally Posted by TurningTim
Is it possible for a large green brittle (8-10" arm to arm) take down fish? I have lost to of my smaller fish in a week. First was my Flame angel and unfortunately I wasn't here to see what happened. Then my Scissor tail red Anthais.
Its a mixed reef and water param's are well in line with normal.
Nothing has changed and both these fish have been in the tank for months.
Could it be my bitchy GSM getting to big for her britches?
thanks
Tim
green brittles are very predatory, i'd say thats what ate your fish.

turningtim

Darn it! thats what I thought. Does it get them while they're sleeping at lights out. Now I have to get the stupid thing out........
Thanks LnD
Tim

miaheatlvr

Darn it! thats what I thought. Does it get them while they're sleeping at lights out. Now I have to get the stupid thing out........
Thanks LnD
Tim
Yes, trade them in for the browns, the browns are so helpful to me and a valuable part of my clean-up crew.

larryndana

probably does most of its hunting at night, so thats probably how it happened.
yeah i'd get the brittle out if you want to safely keep fish. Do you have another tank you could put him in? I'm sure your lfs didn't tell you about that type of brittle either.

turningtim

I'll look into that. I know they do a great job but that star just cost me $150 so its gone......
Any easy ways to catch it? Or am I just faced with ripping the tank apart?
Thanks
Tim

miaheatlvr

I'll look into that. I know they do a great job but that star just cost me $150 so its gone......
Any easy ways to catch it? Or am I just faced with ripping the tank apart?
Thanks
Tim
Doesnt it come out during feeding?

turningtim

Originally Posted by larryndana
probably does most of its hunting at night, so thats probably how it happened.
yeah i'd get the brittle out if you want to safely keep fish. Do you have another tank you could put him in? I'm sure your lfs didn't tell you about that type of brittle either.
Actually its kinda funny. I bought a used tank with some equipment for next to nothing. It was really nasty when I got it. The guy drained the water down to the substrait and I drove it an hour home. Got home and started to clean the tank and rid myself of the CC and there it was in the bottom of the tank. I scooped it up and dripped him and it was still alive so I put him in. that was over a year ago and its been great.
Maybe he just got to big and decide to go Hannibal on me.....
Here I go Star fishing......

turningtim

Originally Posted by MiaHeatLvr
Doesnt it come out during feeding?
I can always see its arms coming out and around the LR but rarly ever see the body. I just have to track it down.
The kids will be bummed, they love to watch the food go down its arms and disapear
Oh Well
Thanks all!
Tim

larryndana

well if hes hungry it should come out with some food, like a shrimp or mussel. put it close enough and if hes hungry he'll come out for it. then just be gentle, don't let the frustrations of losing fish get to you when you catch him, lol.

sooz

My mom has a big Green Brittle star in her 125 reef tank. She had fish disappearing and we became convinced it was the star. We had a heck of a time catching it - lured it with food and picked it up with bare hands, eventually, but it took us about a week trying an hour or so each day - we moved it to a 55 gallon and guess what? Fish kept disappearing in the 125 but were fine in the 55!
So it was not the brittle. Turned out it was a hawkfish that was hunting and killing the other fish - he ended up back at LFS and the brittle went back in the 125 where he is still happily muching formula 2.
All I am saying is - if your GBS has been non-predatory thus far, and you are target feeding him enough, please don't assume he is the murderer!

larryndana

well the fact still remains that green brittles are predatory. there is no if and or buts....which doesn't mean you will have problems, but if not fed it will hunt for food.

sooz

Originally Posted by larryndana
sooz how long have your mom had the green brittle?
At least 2 years

sooz

The thing that was nutty was: I had googled the green brittle star and found all kinds of articles about "green death" and such, but the guy who services our tanks kept saying "it's not the brittle star - it is something else!" and he ended up being correct, after all.
I know I am in the minority on the boards, but I don't think every member of a species is doomed to behave like the typical description of the species. Just like not all pit bulls are vicious killers and not all cats are aloof. Animal behavior depends a lot on the environment and most animals, even fish imo, can be trained to some degree. My mom also has two damsels who are not at all agressive, and a diamond head goby who cleans crushed coral just as if it were sand.

Anyhow, not trying to get on my high horse or anything, I do believe in researching and being smart, but I just don't think it is always so black & white. Every tank is different!

turningtim

I hear ya sooz but I can't think of anything else. I haven't added anything for a long time that would be able or willings to take out fish this size. Both were several inches in length and happy and healthy. The scissor tail was there at lights out Mon night and bones the next night.
My GSM clown has been in there for almost 4 years and shes a little bitchy at first but I have never seen her harm another tank mate.
It just makes sense to me that the star has gone off the deep end b/c it has happened at night both times. I know its not my water b/c I have a lot of other stuff that would die before any fish.
I'm going to take him to a buddies place (LFS) and see what happens.
Thanks for the input
Tim

sooz

In keeping with my theory on not type casting creatures, it is certainly possible that brittle is your killer! ;)
Anyhow, best of luck! I hope you catch him without having to break down the tank!!