Brttle star issues

larryndana

but like with pitbulls it can happen in an instance, better safe than sorry.
one day things can be great and the next they aren't.

turningtim

The flame was floating and the scissor was bones but it was the other remaining fish that were picking at the bones.
There is just nothing else in there that I feel could do what was done. Its coming out.........

gatorwpb

I took mine out of my tank and now it is happy in the skimmer section of my fuge. Been there about 7 months and I feed it my homemade fish food every other day. It seems very happy.

nigerbang

If you are finding pieces...Not the brittle...could be anything...Might be the starfish though, might not be though. As far as catching goes I can drop some random pellet food in the tank and it comes blazing out of the rock work..So I guess its well fed..It eats when the fish eat..If your will do that just reach in a grab it (gently).
I figured I would add a pic of mine...( Sorry..I am kinda bored...)

turningtim

It doesn't come out. It will grab the food with its arms and drag it in under the rock. I tried to grab it (gently) but got away. I have to move rock.
Here are the choices.
GSM clown small 3"+
2 small chromis 1.5"
mandrin (don't think so)
hermits, snails,other small inverts and corals (softies,lps,sps)
Water params
0 across the board, 1ppm nitrate, CA 450, alk 8.5, mag 1350, ph 8.4, temp 80, sg 1.025, Tropic marin salt, all salifert kits

reefkprz

I'm stumped. I was going to suggest mayeb water quality but it doesnt look like that from the parameters you have posted.

turningtim

You're telling me Z, I go on vaca and come home to a dead flame. I tested everything that night thinking my water got out of whack. But my fish sitter did a great job! Those are what I tested after 9 days w/o a WC. My tank has been like this for years now. the My son looks for his fish a couple days later and finds the others playing with bones (not good). Tested again same result.
(in a good way)
I'm committed now! I started moving stuff so everyone is in a snit. Guess its time for a long cleaning and frag session.

I just don't know, I feel I have to do something before I but another $100 meal in there for whatever it is......

turningtim

Ophiura, are you around? I would like your input. I took out the star and he's in fish jail right now (QT).......
Thanks
Tim

ophiura

Originally Posted by TurningTim
Is it possible for a large green brittle (8-10" arm to arm) take down fish? I have lost to of my smaller fish in a week. First was my Flame angel and unfortunately I wasn't here to see what happened. Then my Scissor tail red Anthais.
Its a mixed reef and water param's are well in line with normal.
Nothing has changed and both these fish have been in the tank for months.
Could it be my bitchy GSM getting to big for her britches?
thanks
Tim
It can be a brittle but DON"T be quick to judge...because more commonly it is something else and the brittlestar takes the blame. The star would be HUGE in the disk if it ate a flame angel...ditto with an anthias. What are your parameters and how long have you had these fish? If they are new fish, I definitely would not blame the brittlestar. What and how often do you feed this star?
I find it very difficult to believe it would have eaten these two fish in a short span. Possible, but IMO, unlikely to suddenly start doing this if this is a long established tank.
I have 3 very large green brittlestars (and many other forms) in a 45g with a sixline wrasse. I had a lawnmower blenny and a clown goby go missing within 24 hours of introduction - so they may well have died. A cleaner shrimp also went missing...was it a molt problem, predation? I don't know.
This species is a KNOWN predator but so are many things we keep in tanks. I would not be quick to assume it was the brittlestar without a thorough review of the tank history, parameters, inhabitants, etc

nigerbang

Originally Posted by TurningTim
You're telling me Z, I go on vaca and come home to a dead flame. I tested everything that night thinking my water got out of whack. But my fish sitter did a great job! Those are what I tested after 9 days w/o a WC. My tank has been like this for years now. the My son looks for his fish a couple days later and finds the others playing with bones (not good). Tested again same result.
(in a good way)
I'm committed now! I started moving stuff so everyone is in a snit. Guess its time for a long cleaning and frag session.

I just don't know, I feel I have to do something before I but another $100 meal in there for whatever it is......

I just figured it out....You went on vacation....Duh...j/k Everytime I go on vacation something terrible happens while I am gone..

ophiura

Yes, vacation can be an issue. I would not expect you to find a floating body if the brittlestar did it, personally.

turningtim

Well time will tell. It has a very nice home at the LFS and hopefully will find a great new place to live.
It was much bigger than I thought, a good 12"-14" and center of about a half dollar. I meant to take a pic but the kids where just killin' me today. Took everything I had just to get out the door.....
Wasn't to bad, between it and a bunch of frags a Derssa clam followed me home.
Thanks for all the info. I will never go on Vaca again. My wife will be thrilled. Will let you guys know if something else turns up missing.
What a mystery

Thanks O for taking time
Tim

larryndana

Originally Posted by sk8shorty01
If there are bones I would say it is not the star because I know my star never leaves a trace of anything LOL.
my red general starfish didn't eat but half of a blue green chormis, so this isn't true in all cases. but there is a difference with a brittle.

turningtim

Well, in the last couple days I have been paying close attention to my tank. I feel that the GSM clown has gotten a bit to aggressive for my taste (and the other fish) and could possibly be the cause of the deaths.
I have no proof of either the GSM or the star but trading them in and staying on the safe side I feel this is a good move.
Just wanted to update......
Tim