BTA not not "bubbling"?

hallzy

I have a bubble tip anemone, and when I bought it, it actually had the bubble tips. Since it has been in my tank, it has not had the bubble tips, it kind of looks like a regular long tenecal anemone. It has been in my tank for about 6 months now and seems to be perfectly healthy. I assuming it is because I didn't have very strong lighting. I have a 29 gallon tank and all I had for lighting was a 20 watt 50/50 bulb. I just received my 96 watt T5 lighting and installed it today. I could just wait and let time answer my question, but i'm anxious to know.... Do you think it will regain its "bubble tip" shape now that I have proper lighting for it?

meowzer

Mine doesn't bubble all the time either, and I have metal halides......I think that's normal
are you acclimating your lights??????

hunt

mine never bubble, occasionally they will get little lumps but thats about it. I have a 65w pc light

hallzy

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3294101
Mine doesn't bubble all the time either, and I have metal halides......I think that's normal
are you acclimating your lights??????
I wasn't, no. I didn't know i needed to do anything like that! How do you acclimate lights?! I've only had mine on for about 2 hours now, so i will turn them off until i hear back!

meowzer

When you go to more intense lighting....you can actually cause harm to your anemone, corals and such by not acclimating
You can cover the top of your tank with some screen (an example)....a couple of layers.....in a few days remove one layer....in a few more remove another layer....also you may want to run it for shorter times at first too
If you don't have screen (or another covering) You can raise the lights us ....ohhhh...maybe 9"....then after a few days lower to 6.....then aafter a few more lower to 3 (the feet height)
those are some examples of things you can do

hallzy

http:///forum/post/3294151
When you go to more intense lighting....you can actually cause harm to your anemone, corals and such by not acclimating
You can cover the top of your tank with some screen (an example)....a couple of layers.....in a few days remove one layer....in a few more remove another layer....also you may want to run it for shorter times at first too
If you don't have screen (or another covering) You can raise the lights us ....ohhhh...maybe 9"....then after a few days lower to 6.....then aafter a few more lower to 3 (the feet height)
those are some examples of things you can do
What kind of screen do you mean? I dont really have any kind of screen, and the legs on my lights cant adjust by height (as far as I know).
I only ran my new lights for about 2 hours today, and tomorrow i have to work at 5:30 so I will be gone until I come home for lunch at 11:30. My timer is set up to turn on at 10am. Should I maybe just let the timer turn them on at 10, then I can turn them off at 11:30 when I get home, and then back on at 3 when I get home, then back off again at say 6ish and be done for the night, and do this for 2 or 3 days?
Or I have the option of just turning on the 2 blues or the 2 daylights? Running one or the other would cut it down to 48 watts instead of 96. Would this maybe be a better option for the 1st few days? Whats your opinion?

meowzer

WOW.....LOL....IDK....Can you put a piece of wood (??) on the edge of the tank to raise the light legs....or find something to use
You can also run one blue and one day (take the others out) do that for a week, and then add...a blue...wat a week and add the other white

when I got my new bulbs for my T5 light...I left the old ones in...and changed the new ones one at a time....each after a week
I hope I'm not confusing you more....LOL...

hallzy

http:///forum/post/3294225
WOW.....LOL....IDK....Can you put a piece of wood (??) on the edge of the tank to raise the light legs....or find something to use
You can also run one blue and one day (take the others out) do that for a week, and then add...a blue...wat a week and add the other white

when I got my new bulbs for my T5 light...I left the old ones in...and changed the new ones one at a time....each after a week
I hope I'm not confusing you more....LOL...
I actually did go cut peices of wood! So at least were on the same page here! I will just run them for less time and keep them on the wood for a few days, then run them normal. I only have one anemone, and no corals yet, so even though I dont want anythign to happen to it, it wont be devistating if something does happen....

meowzer

Originally Posted by hallzy
http:///forum/post/3294236
I actually did go cut peices of wood! So at least were on the same page here! I will just run them for less time and keep them on the wood for a few days, then run them normal. I only have one anemone, and no corals yet, so even though I dont want anythign to happen to it, it wont be devistating if something does happen....
LOL....I was scared that I was beginning to ramble....I do that well

you'll be fine doing it that way
When you get a chance, I'd like to see a pic

hallzy

http:///forum/post/3294240
LOL....I was scared that I was beginning to ramble....I do that well

you'll be fine doing it that way
When you get a chance, I'd like to see a pic
Well you dont want ot see it right now. I actually had to order another light, because I was stupid and ended up ordering the wrong size! My old light fixture took a 24 inch bulb, so I ordered a 24 inch light. Come to find out, my tank is 30 inches, and my old fixture just has 3 inches of nothing on each end of the bulb! So that is why my bulb is up on wood, because Its not long enough to cover!
I ordered the light online though, and i would have lost out on alot of money, plus I would have had to wait for him to get the old light back before he sent the new light, and I just didn't wanna wait! I dont think it should be hard to see this light myself anyways. I put it in the paper, and if it doesn;t sell there, I will just put it back on ----!
My new light is scheduled to arrive friday, so I will get some pics up then! Hopefully i can start building my sump this weekend too, and I will have a thread with pictures of that project too!
And thanks again meowzer, you really are like the mom of SWF! lol I really look forward to getting responses from you, you have taught me a TON since I've joined this forum last year!

thelameball2

WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BANG GUY
1. HE IS A DIRTY ROTTON HOBO
2. HE IS ACTUALLY A SHE
3. NEVER MIND SHE IS AN IT
4. HE IS A LONER
5. HE IS GOING TO TAKE OVER THE GOVERNMENT
6. HE LOVES BETH TO DEATH
7. HE THINKS SCSINET IS A RETARD
8. THE LIST GOES ON
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BETH
SHE LIVES IN A DUMP
SHE IS A DUMP
SHE WORKS AT A DUMP
SHE LOVES THE DUMP
SHE IS A 4 HEADED ALIEN FROM THE PLANET ZORCOCK
SHE LOVES BANG GUY
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT SCSInet
HE IS A NUB
HE HAS ANGER ISSUES
HE THINKS HE IS ALL THAT GREAT
HE LIVES ON THE STREETS
SCSINET'S LIFE STORY:
SCSINET WAS BORN ON AUGUST 23, 78BC. HE LIVED IN A CAVE AS A CHILD AND GREW UP TO BE A SASQUATCH. THERE HE ROAMED THE CANADIAN FOREST AS A LONER. LATER HE LEARNED TO SHAVE (FINALLY) AND LIVE AMONG THE RETARD POPULATION. HE SOON LOST HIS TEETH AND HIS IQ DROPPED TO 0.05. SCSINET CURRENTLY LIVES ON THE STREETS OF DC BEGGING FOR MONEY. EVERYBODY HATES HIM!
2. HE IS ACTUALLY A SHE
4. HE IS A LONER
8. THE LIST GOES ON
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BETH
SHE LIVES IN A DUMP
SHE IS A DUMP
SHE WORKS AT A DUMP
SHE LOVES THE DUMP
SHE LOVES BANG GUY
HE IS A NUB
HE HAS ANGER ISSUES
HE LIVES ON THE STREETS
SCSINET'S LIFE STORY:
SCSINET WAS BORN ON AUGUST 23, 78BC. HE LIVED IN A CAVE AS A CHILD AND GREW UP TO BE A SASQUATCH. THERE HE ROAMED THE CANADIAN FOREST AS A LONER. LATER HE LEARNED TO SHAVE (FINALLY) AND LIVE AMONG THE RETARD POPULATION. HE SOON LOST HIS TEETH AND HIS IQ DROPPED TO 0.05. SCSINET CURRENTLY LIVES ON THE STREETS OF DC BEGGING FOR MONEY. EVERYBODY HATES HIM!
2. HE IS ACTUALLY A SHE
4. HE IS A LONER
8. THE LIST GOES ON
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BETH
SHE LIVES IN A DUMP
SHE IS A DUMP
SHE WORKS AT A DUMP
SHE LOVES THE DUMP
SHE LOVES BANG GUY
HE IS A NUB
HE HAS ANGER ISSUES
HE LIVES ON THE STREETS
SCSINET'S LIFE STORY:
2. HE IS ACTUALLY A SHE
4. HE IS A LONER
8. THE LIST GOES ON
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BETH
SHE LIVES IN A DUMP
SHE IS A DUMP
SHE WORKS AT A DUMP
SHE LOVES THE DUMP
SHE LOVES BANG GUY
HE IS A NUB
HE HAS ANGER ISSUES
HE LIVES ON THE STREETS
SCSINET'S LIFE STORY:
2. HE IS ACTUALLY A SHE
4. HE IS A LONER
8. THE LIST GOES ON
WHAT I LIKE ABOUT BETH
SHE LIVES IN A DUMP
SHE IS A DUMP
SHE WORKS AT A DUMP
SHE LOVES THE DUMP
SHE LOVES BANG GUY
HE IS A NUB
HE HAS ANGER ISSUES
HE LIVES ON THE STREETS
SCSINET'S LIFE STORY:

T

tizzo

Nobody knows why they bubble however I have my own theories and it has nothing to do with light... Mine was bubbled at the LFS when I got it 2 years ago, completely lost the bubbles while I have owned it, but recently it has regained them... Right this minute, they are indeed bubbled. And the only common denominator is current. Right now it is in a very stagnant part of my tank. Hardly no currant at all, and it has it's bubbles... Where as when there is currant around it, it's tenticles go longer and flow with the water.
Anyway, may be true, may not, but so far, it's my theory...

wangotango

I've had the same GBTA for a few years, and its split a few times. Some of the clones bubble and others don't. Anemones are just bags of water, so it's really nothing to be concerned about.
If it was light related the anemone would usually react by moving to a brighter or shadier spot.

S

smartorl

I agree with Tizzo, I have thought the same thing. If there is strong current, they seem to want to "use" it. I noticed when we had the hurricanes and were running on generators so my tanks were combined, the flow in each decreased to circulating. My bubble tips got short and fat and while still inflated, lost their bubbles. As soon as heavy flow was re-established, they returned to their former glory.

I think the exception to the rule is when the quality of the water slips, then they seem to shrink away from the flow as well.

Just my .02 cents.