Bug of the Week - Peppermint Shrimp

bang guy

This week's critter will be very familiar to most of you, the Peppermint Shrimp. Peppermint shrimp are members of the Hippolytid Shrimp family and are all considered "Cleaners". Cleaner Shrimp have the interesting habit of jumping on fish (or hands) and use their tiny pinchers to quickly scour the skin, gills, and even teeth looking for parasites. They are fairly hearty except they have a very very low tolerance for Copper and osmotic shock.
The common name of "Peppermint Shrimp" has been applied to several Shrimp species. This comes as a surprise to most people. I'll briefly discuss the three Shrimps commonly found in the aquarium trade. I'm excluding the Camelback Shrimp Rhynchocinetes uritai as they are neither Lysmata nor are they cleaners nor are they reef safe (this IS the Reef Tanks Forum ;) ). All of the Peppermint Shrimps are nocturnal by nature but can easily be trained to stay out during the day by feeding. Feeding them by hand will insure that they will be happy to see you.
Lysmata californica - California
Lysmata prima - Japan
Lysmata wurdemanni - Caribbean
Lysmata californica from the Eastern Pacific has reddish-brown legs and body with subtle White stripes running the length of the Carapace. When these are sold to hobbyists it is usually a mistake as they are not tropical animals and won't live long at reef temperatures.
Lysmata prima is smaller than the other two and can usually be identified by its yellow legs and Antenna. This is a smaller Shrimp and is happiest in groups of at least two. This shrimp is commonly sold on the West Coast and are strikingly beautiful in my opinion.
Lysmata wurdemanni is the most common Shrimp sold as Peppermint Shrimp. As the picture above shows they are red all over with subtly darker red streaks crosshatched across the carapace.
L. wurdemanni are also the only Peppermint Shrimp known to eat the dreaded Aiptasia sp.
anemone. I have personally witnessed this event on many occasions and find their method of disposal ingenious. They will first poke at the Anemone with their pinchers and thoroughly irritate it. The Anemone will respond by excreting it's mesenterial filaments and the Shrimp will retreat to avoid becoming a meal. After a few minutes the dangerous threads will all be pointing down-current and the Shrimp will go to the opposite side of the Anemone and feast until the entire Anemone has been consumed. There does appear to be a limit to the size of Anemone that the Peppermint can handle though. I have a single large Aiptasia I keep that has, so far, been untouched by any Shrimp.
All three of these Shrimp are not easy to tell apart in the store regardless of the coloration differences. They have very similar body shapes and tend to lose most of their color when stressed thereby looking nearly identical.
The question of Iodine supplements always comes up as a requirement to "help" these shrimp molt. I believe this is strictly mythology. All Shrimp require trace amounts of Iodine in their diet as most animals do. There is absolutely no evidence that Shrimp gain any benefit from Iodine in the water column. There is evidence that greater than Natural Sea Water levels will cause them to molt excessively and eventually die. I do not suggest dosing Iodine in any form other than food for these Shrimp.
A not-so-common parasite sometimes found inside Cleaner Shrimp is the Epicaridean isopod
. This is a death sentence for the Shrimp but will not spread to other Shrimp in the aquarium. These Isopods do not reproduce well in a closed environment.
r />
Cleaner Shrimp in general do not have a lot of requirements for vast amounts of space. Densities as great as 1 per 5 gallons is perfectly acceptable and mixing species doesn't seem to present a lot of problems either. They WILL eat some sand bed critters though. So, if you have a DSB as your filtration system is may not be in the best interest of your aquarium to densely stock these Shrimp. Keeping them well fed will cut down on their foraging for live critters. Feeding is very simple. They are scavengers and will eat any type of fish food.
The Lysmata wurdemanni has been successfully propagated by hobbyists and tank bred specimens can be purchased. It's very easy to breed them but quite difficult to raise the larvae after they hatch. All of the Lysmata's are hermaphrodites so having two will almost guarantee they will breed. Fertilized eggs appear under the tail and are initially bright green if they are fertilized. They will turn orange a couple of days before being released.
Here's a picture showing a newly hatched L. wurdemanni next to a 4 week old. Sorry for the picture quality, we can't all be a Ryebread ;)

Please share your Shrimp stories and any pictures you have of your Peppermint.

sggavin

here is "Pinkey" my pepperment shrimp, he will always coming up to the glass and just rocking back and forth :), out of all my shrimp he has the best personality. Most of the time he will be hiding in rocks, only coming out during feeding time, but he is starting to get used to coming out during lights on. Great Shrimp!

bang guy

Originally posted by goldrush
Pinkey looks like a skunk cleaner to me.

I think Pinkey is the Peppermint in the center of the pic.

barracuda

Camelbacks can feed on some sort of corals/polyps and that's why cannot be trusted as 100% reef safe.

T

thomas712

Originally posted by Bang Guy
A not-so-common parasite sometimes found inside Cleaner Shrimp is the Epicaridean isopod
. This is a death sentence for the Shrimp but will not spread to other Shrimp in the aquarium. These Isopods do not reproduce well in a closed environment.

Guy - This is what catches my attention. Is this Epicaridean isopod, of which there seem to be many families in about 4 major groups, the cause of the black spot that is found in some cleaner and peppermint shrimp? If so, or even if not, could you also tell us what signs to look for when choosing cleaner or peppermint shrimp at an LFS?
Thomas

bang guy

Yes, the parasite often show up as a black spot or an irregularly formed mass in the abdominal cavity. When buying Peppermints your best bet will be captive bred specimens. They are still fairly rare unfortunately. When buying a Peppermint all you can do is buy the smallest shrimp and look very carefully for anything unusual. They're not really that common but if you look at a lot of Shrimp you will probably find a couple.

bang guy

Here's a picture of one that is ready to settle. This is the 6 - 8 week point. Once they settle they no longer need to be fed from the water column and are very easy to raise from that point on. Raising them from larvae is time consuming and often frustrating.

T

thomas712

One Idea is to cover the BTA with something like a strawberry basket if possable while it feeds, or a net to cover it. Maybe cover the shrimp with the basket or net while the BTA eats.
Thomas

reef dude

This shocked me quite a bit the other night when i peered into the tank with a flashlight and I caught sight of my peppermint shrimp with a cluster(1-3) of button polyps in its grasp. I just bought a brand new Button Polyp rock with a lot on it, and now theres a chunk missing. Has anyone ever heard of this behavior??
***Also my cleaner shrimp are walking all over my new open brain coral, could this keep it from opening up. It looks really shriveled up and unhappy....
-dave

dazed1

Here's my peppermint. Saw it pick on my linkia last evening and I got scared. It almost "lifted" it. I've also seen it go fumble with my frogspawn.

bang guy

Originally posted by reef dude
This shocked me quite a bit the other night when i peered into the tank with a flashlight and I caught sight of my peppermint shrimp with a cluster(1-3) of button polyps in its grasp. I just bought a brand new Button Polyp rock with a lot on it, and now theres a chunk missing. Has anyone ever heard of this behavior??

This is possible. But, are you 100% sure you don't have a Camel Shrimp?

clarkiiboi

I had peppermint shrimp(s) on my list of things to get b/c its easier for me to find than the actual cleaner (skunk). Then, with all the reading here the last year, I saw a post a few months ago that made me scratch that off and go for the skunk. That post was from a very familiar member (to me) and was verified by others, (also familiar to me) that said they (peppermints) had a tendency to eat corals.......I know each have their own personalities, but is it not as common as I thought? I still haven't bought either or, getting ready to order here in a few days. What are your thoughts? Now the wheels are turning in the ol' head here. Thanks, sorry so long.

I have a question about the hand feeding. What do you hand feed them and how? Sounds pretty cool to have a shrimp eat out of your hand and would love to try it.
Thanks,
NewBe