"Bug" on Clownfish.

fishtails

I noticed that my female clownfish has a "bug" attached to her tail. Its been on there for 3 days now. It looks like a pod, but is more grayish. I read in my book that it could be a sea louse, but since it had no picture I'm not sure. The fish is doing fine. It swims and eats fine, but the "bug" is on its tail. All water perimeters test excellent. I'll try and get a picture ASAP, but all help is greatly appreciated.

bang guy

If you can net the fish the bug will probably fall off. Catch it and destroy it. If it doesn't fall off then a fresh water dip will kill the bug and leave the fish OK.

fishtails

Thanks Bang,
So just net fish and see if it falls off? IF not how would I do freshwater dip? You make it seem so easy Bang.... LOL....
Well I'll try that and see what happens, just hope the damn thing doesn't get onto me....:eek:
Could you please help me so I'll feel more incouraged to do so...;)

bang guy

A perfect fresh water dip will have the same temp and PH as your tank water. This isn't that easy to do. You absolutely must match the temp. In this case the fish will only need to be in fresh water for a few seconds. Most Cirolanids are very sensitive to salinity changed while fish are not. If it doesn't fall right off then put the fish back in a saltwater container and you'll have to buffer the fresh water to try to match the PH so you can keep the fish in there longer. Limewater is a good way IMO to get the PH of fresh water up to 8.2 or whatever your tank is.

fishtails

Bang,
Should I be very concerned as I have no PH buffer or limewater right now. OR is there any other way to raise PH? If you don't mind would you please explain the process.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Can you get that pic up?? I'd like to see it. How long have you had this fish?? What type of tank do you have set up? FO, reef?
What are your water readings??

fishtails

Beth, as of today the parasite is gone. Now my clownfish and royal gramma seem to have ICH though. How can I eradicate the problem? It will be very hard to ccatch the RG, so anything else that I could attempt? I did a water change last night and this morning I noticed small white specs on the two fish. After seeing this I tested water and here are results:Ammonia 0,Nitrite 0,Nitrate 2.5 ppm,Phosphate 0.1ppm.....
I could really use the help right now as I'm depressed. :(