Bulb Replacement

the_bandit

I am going to be replacing my 250w MH with a Odyssea 36" 156W (4x 39W) T5 HO Light Fixture. I would like to replace the bulbs so they aren't stock bulbs. Can someone please recommend a good brand and a light spectrum that I can use for this new fixture?

the_bandit

Anyone?
I have decided on ATI bulbs. I dont want anything too blue. Im looking for a nice natural look. Similar to a 14k MH bulb.
I was thinking about 2x 39W Blue Plus T5 HO Fluorescent. 1x 39W Pro Color T5 HO Fluorescent, and 1x 39W 12000K Aquablue Special T5 HO Fluorescent.
Good or too blue?

gio28

IMO it won't be too blue at all. Maybe instead of the pro color try a KZ figi purple bulb instead. I have 3 blue plus and a Fiji on my tank and i don't think that is too blue at all. If you PM me I can give you a link to a great T5 bulb combo thread on another forum with a bunch of pics to help give you ideas. The combo u have listed seems great though. :)

nikesb

i think you would be better off doing a 2 blue+, and 2 uvl super actinics. your corals will use the 420 nm peak, and will appreciate you for it.

the_bandit

Isn't that all blue lighting? I was trying to avoid doing that. Unless I don't understand the color of the lights mentioned

nikesb

the 2 uvl super actinics will give off the same hue as one fiji purple. the uvl super actinics are alot more purple than blue also, so it wont be adding blue like you're thinking. the color will be slightly noticable once your halides are on. nothing thats going to over power it blue.

the_bandit

Oh Im sorry I wasnt clear. I am removing the Metal Halide all together and just using a 4 bulb T5HO fixture.

nikesb

OO sorry! well in that case, I would run 2 blue+, 1 fiji purple, 1 aquascience duo 17500k or 15000k. this would be whiter than gio's suggestion which is personally one of my favorite combos.