Bulk live rock project log

thegrog

Well, this weekend I took the plunge and decided to start making my own bulk live rock. I took the liberty of recording the events for all to see and hear about.
I used Portland cement mix, crushed oyster shells, water, and playsand for the molds.
I used 4 cups of crushed shells per every cup of cement mix and 1-1/8 cups of water. I'll adjust the ratios based on the results of this batch.
I mixed them in a bucket by simply rotating the bucket around then stirring it with a peice of scrap wood.
I'll post step-by-step pics here:

thegrog

Here are the crushed oyster shells that I used. Got the bag for $4.50 at a local farm feed store.

thegrog

Here is the Cement mix. $7 at Lowes. I could not find the type I/II so the type I will have to do.

thegrog

This is the sand that I found at Walmart for $3 a bag. Got a total of 3 bags (only needed 2 for the first batch).

thegrog

I poured the sand into a rubbermaid and dampened it with a little water. Then formed the molds in the sand.

thegrog

I mixed the concrete, shells and water in a bucket. I rolled the bucket on it's edge to mix and then mixed a little more with a peice of wood scrap. Pretty much had the consistency of cottage cheese.

thegrog

Poured the mix into the molds using a small cup.
I think I will use a little more water next time as it was still a little thick.
After I poured the mix in, I covered it with sand.
Here is the rubbermaid with some already poured and covered and some uncovered.
After all were covered, I put the lid on the rubbermaid for 2 days, then left it open for 2 more (was out of town).

thegrog

Here are the finished products. I brushed the sand off with a paintbrush and then hosed the rest off.

thegrog

Here is a closeup of one from the first batch. It is hollow inside with several little entrances. My girlfriend calls it a little hut on stilts. I probably shoudl have made the "legs" thicker. Hopefully it will be strong enough to hold up.
All in all this batch made me about 20 pounds of base rock. I will be making a hundred or so more pounds and then curing them all in a large plastic trash bin that I will be fitting with a drain on the bottom for easy water changes.
I'll post more pics of my next batch when they are done.
You get a better idea of how the concrete will set and how it works after you make a small batch (I do now) so future peices will look better and look more creative.

A

andretti

Looks good; I do the same. You should check out "Scott 9311" thread on "Equipment & DIY" section of SWF.com. His stuff is great!
:D

A

andretti

I think it's so cool that so many people are doing this; first of all, it's saving our oceans big time, and second, it's saving us some seroius $$$$$. Before i started doing it, I spent well over $800 on pieces of frickin' rock!:mad: Now, I make so much of it, I actually trade it for store credit from my favorite lfs. I currently have about $110 left, at one time I had over $220 of credit. So I take about 15-20 pieces to him per week; he can't keep it in stock:D I sell it to him for about $7 for the small pieces, $10 for the medium ones and $12 for the large ones. He turns around and sells the sm for $15, med for $20-$22 and the lg. for $30-35. If they were real L/R they would cost from $ 30-$60. So we all win. :cheer: You should try it, all they can say is "No"

thegrog

Originally posted by AndrewMack
How is that LIVE ROCK?

It's not "live" yet, it is simply base rock that I will be seeding with live rock. Give it a few months and it will be live.

thegrog

Originally posted by Andretti
Looks good; I do the same. You should check out "Scott 9311" thread on "Equipment & DIY" section of SWF.com. His stuff is great!
:D

I have and I have been following it for a while. Mice looking stuff. Gave me a lot of ideas on what to do. Like I said in earlier, it is easier to create when you know how the concrete will set up and how to work with it.

thegrog

Originally posted by shiby1510
well done!!
does it not matter if it is the yucky sand with silicate and all that harmful stuff?? :notsure:

Thanks
It shouldn't matter as there is tons of silicate in the concrete mix. That is another reason for curing in fresh water....to bind up all the silicates. Plus, the sand was only on the surface so it either washes off or gets bound up by the concrete.
If one is still worried about it, you could use aragonite or crushed coral for the molds.

A

andretti

Hey Grog, Andretti here. I hate to bear bad news but that quickrete stuff is bad to use for two reasons; first, it begins to flake off after a few months in saltwater; second, it leaches excess sodium carbonates and bi-carbonates which will raise you pH. It happened to me and I've read a few other threads in which it happened to others as well.
:mad: On the other hand, your stuff looks great!

robchuck

Nice work!!!
Your photo-documentary shows how easy it is to make Aragocrete rock. Hopefully you've inspired others to make their own rock!