bulkheads upside down

ablazinob

has anyone heard of installing bulkheads upside down in the overflow and if so which side does the gasket go on the guy at the fish store told me that i could install them that way???
please help asap

robchuck

It doesn't really matter which way they are installed, as long as the gasket is on the flange side.

bailey52

Hey squidd.. did you use AutoCad to draw that? JW, im thinking about doing a full AutoCad setup of a tank and see how heat, and point light of a MH would work at diff depths

masala4080

Im taking cad next year for school. It would be AWSOME if I could draw my tank. CAD is awsome.. something im thinking about going into for college.

bailey52

What do you want to go to school for? I use it all the time at school, its incredible how complex a program can be, and how many different things it can do.

bang guy

Originally posted by ablazinob
yes i am trying to hard plumb it

Installing it backwards is a bad idea IMO. Do you need a different type of bulkhead?

christssol

My bulkheads are backwards. I did them in the back of the tank though not the bottom. I did them backwards so I could glue all the plumbing without thread to avoid leaks yet still have the ability to remove the bulkheads if need be without cutting the pipes all apart. It has been running for a year to the day with no problems :)

castiron

A few months ago I thought I read a Squidd post to keep the seal to the outside and the nut to the water. It was difficult to reach 36 inches into the overflow to tighten the nut but I hard plumbed it up completely only to find a leak. What a pain to reverse! Squidd straightened me out after that. A lot of waisted time and money on the plumbing. My local pet store also said to keep the gasket to the water to prevent dry rot years down the road.
Squidd, It only took me 6 months and alot of $$ but I've got my 150 going now! Pictures in a few weeks.