Buy livestock online or at LFS

pituca

:jumping:I have not yet bought a fish per say I just started my tank about 2 months ago so I might not be much of a help (my friend and G.F. gave me already 3 fishes). That being said i did get some Cleaner clams and crabs from SWF and they came fast and where all fine. not to mention the LFS around me charges 3 times what the prices are here. :scared:

zanski

Originally Posted by watson_ab
which do you recommend????
9 times out of 10 its cheaper to buy online. But you have to have a minimum $$ order to get "free" shipping. The only downfall is you dont get to see the fish. But I have had great experience buying on swf. Wouldnt buy online in the summer when its hot though. plus they charge a expensive gas fee during the summer months. Good luck! REMEMBER the LFS is only after your money!

renogaw

the only thing holding me back from buying here is you cannot observe the fish to make sure they are eating and healthy. with this sites 15 day guarantee though and lower pricing i am leaning towards here.

zanski

Originally Posted by renogaw
the only thing holding me back from buying here is you cannot observe the fish to make sure they are eating and healthy. with this sites 15 day guarantee though and lower pricing i am leaning towards here.
They wouldnt send you a sick fish because, they would never see you again... lol thats why the guarantee is there

renogaw

Originally Posted by Zanski
They wouldnt send you a sick fish because, they would never see you again... lol thats why the guarantee is there

im sorry to say but any fish bought anywhere could have ick. i've read in the disease forum about swf orders and sick fish. they WILL see you again because you have to reorder $75 in order to get your guarantee fish.

watson_ab

Only thing I don't get is why they would put a min. $ amount vs. just charging you the shipping cost. They are pretty much making people buy more than they need and feeding a problamatic issue: everyone is saying that you should only get 1 new fish every couple weeks (at most)?????????
Granote you could buy a bunch of equipment but by the time you do this you just wated the money that you wanted to save...double??????????????

zanski

I know a lot of people that have SW tanks so we share an order. Also I agree with you but some people have more than one tank

windmill

ANYBODY that guarantees their saltwater fish knows what they are doing. Find a local fish store that has a guarantee - I bet you can't.
Guarantee means they know what they are doing and are confident in their specimens and procedures. Other than not being able to see the EXACT physical appearance of a fish and the minimum order there is no reason why one shouldn't buy online. And personally, I don't care if a fish's coloration isn't exactly as it should be, I'd be disapointed if it had scars or a screwed up fin or a missing eye or something, but that still wouldn't bother all that much. Handicapped fish need a home and lovin' too, if not more so than healthy ones.

chipmaker

My lfs here, matter of fact both of them carry a warranty of 15 days on their marine critters.........prices are much chepar, I can see what fish or critter I am getting, I know how long those critters have been in the tank due to placement labels on tanks, I do not pay exhorharant s hihpping and handling and fuel surcharges or boxing charges, and I do not have to spend a given amount to get free anything. I just refuse to buy what I can not see swim or move aorund as what yu get is left to the integrity of who ever is manning the net and I seriously doubt there are many out there that really care its a matter of filling in the squares when it comes to mailorder anything. So I really only ever order hardware or dry good online whose descriptions and integrity of items is not questionable. To much opinions as to fish and critters exist.

windmill

Damn chip, must be nice.
I have one LFS here and it has a terrible selection with terrible tanks rarely clean, no guarantee, not even on freshwater.

zanski

yeah there are LFS's in Atlanta that guarentee fish. Mostly because if the fish gets sick, they care about the animal and want to fix the problem. They know the fish stands a better chance being brought back to the store and getting treated then letting a reefer qt the fish.

zanski

Originally Posted by renogaw
im sorry to say but any fish bought anywhere could have ick. i've read in the disease forum about swf orders and sick fish. they WILL see you again because you have to reorder $75 in order to get your guarantee fish.
Didnt know about that, never had a problem ordering online.

renogaw

3 lfs's:
1 has a 72 hour guarantee
1 has a 48 hour guarantee if the fish has been in their tanks for less than 14 days. (basically it has lived 2 weeks in their tank, you killed it, not them)
1 has a 24 hr guarantee.

shogun323

I like buying mine from my fish store. That way I can observe them over a period of time, watch them eat and so forth.
There have even been times when my LFS has multiple fish of the same species and they will even steer me away from fish that they have observed exhibiting odd behavior. Also, nearly every fish will have different markings and some may have more robust colors than others. I like the ability to hand-pick what goes in my display tank.

windmill

I knew I lived in a crappy place.
No LFS with any guarantee for many, many miles any direction. Hell, given the same situation as chip and renogaw; I wouldn't be buying stuff online either. I hate their "$79 minimum order"......I don't even think you CAN place an order for livestock less than $79.

chipmaker

I have an opinion on rhe warantys offered though and for the most part they are not needed, sat least the opng term warranties are not. Arrive alive and maybe 48 to 72 hours thereafter yea, but the rest is just hype. Places can not make a living out of selling dead or dying fish. If the fish is in good health when it is caught, bagged and shipped, and its shipped properly, and then when its received, its acclimated properly, there just is not a reason it is gonna croak in week or 14 days. I do not even give a second thought to buying a fish or other critter if it is in good condition when I see it in any shop, ***** included which does not have a warranty. If its eating and swimming normally, and doing what its supposed to do, then there is not any reason it should not be fine when its acclimated when I get it home and the next day and the next and the next. Unfortunatley there is just too many people that do take shortcuts in acclimating and buying a fish or do so on a whim and are still not correct with their waters parameters, but it is always going to be the lfs that gets the bad rap for selling bad fish. Heck even Wally World sells decent fish.
The so called minimum orders for free shipping IMNSHO is a gimick and lead on. Dirt cheap prices on lots of stuff, but to get a warranted item its not right to have to go through yet another minimum $$$ order again. Thats one problem for a lot of foloks right off as they are starting a new tank and now have to throw 75 or more bucks worth of livestock in it and possibly overload the biosystem initially. So why spend 75 bucks to get a fish for $2.00 and get saddled with add ons you really should be waiting on anyhow if its a new tank. So spend the 2 bucks for the fish and spend the approx $20 for overnight shipping and forget the so called free shipping.Nothing is free in this world and you know it, your paying for it one way or another. Ya ever think that if ya supported a lfs prices may eventually go a bit lower with being a constant or repeat customer.....The shops around here recognize a person after a few trips in the shop and its not hard to get a lower price or a good customer discount.....One hting you can play is you want how much for that (fill in the blank)? Heck no, I can get it for half that price online and what the shipping costs is still gonna be less than what Iwill have to pay tax...Thanks...odds are most if not all will offer you a break price wise or if a fish comes down with something thats out of line, they usually make up in some way for problems warranty or not. Warrantys to lots of folks is just a simple way to shrug responsibilities in acclimating and such......and you can tell by a lot of posts on this forum its commonly done, and those folks that refuse to buy and use test kits or proper test processes. So I for one could care less about a warranty if the fish is in good health.....and the shop is reasonable in how its tanks are maintained. I have fooled with fish a long time and I have had relatively very few FW or SW related deaths within a week or two of purchases.
I did buy a bunch of sexy shrimp one time from a well known online vendor of allkinds of pet products, run by two vets. OUt of if my memory is correct 20 sexy shrimp I had 3 that died in transit. I called them up and they said to keep track and callem back on the last day of the warranty just incase any more died. They stated they would not ship an order out until the warranty period expired just incase another critter died. But after that warranty period, they would send a replacement for all cirtters that died with no incurred charges for me such as shipping etc, or they wold issue a store credit or issue me a credit back on my credit card. No dead bodies to send back for proof either. That is the only mail order of live critters I have ever made and odds are it will be the only one as I have no need to order online really.....I do really think its assine to have to send back a body for a critter that costs a buck or two, and then pay high shipping costs to have warranted item resent......and that isone item that I look or would look for if dealing online to have to prove a death.....if they can not trust me to be honest then I can not trust them or whoever to sell healthy items either it goes both ways. I also like thew ability to be able to talk to a human being no matter what the items I buy are......I just am not into this email and e commerce crap and dealing with a shopping cart and then have an issue and have to jump through hoops to get it resolved.

E

emeralcrab

I for another one don't have a good lfs close, the one we do have does not get a good selection in. No guarentee either.
I have ordered from this site, fish are great, the only thing I don't like is their service. You can't talk to anyone. Don't e-mail ya back either. Plus sending back a dead fish is, I guess fine. I know there are dishonest people out there so what ever the policy is I'm fine with it.
I have ordered from the {edit} site, fish have been awesome......they have been great about crediting back my card on corals that have died. I haven't had one problem with them. And you can talk to a person. Plus you don't have to send dead item back. You do pay shipping but what is a person to do when your local doesn't get anything in, plus is higher then I can online it with the shipping.
I have some orders out right now from two other sites, hoping they will be as good to deal with as the {edit}. So far I have been able to talk to people on both site, they actually would rather talk to you then e-mail also. {edit}.. is one on them.
To all of you people that have awesome LFS
To all of us that don't,
we have to take our chances with ordering on line or having a boring tank. I for one have had great experiences ordering on line. I have had a little trouble with the shipping end, but that isn't the fault of the online store. And when there has been a problem the online store has been very helpful. I recomend ordering online, when you don't have any other choice it is the only way to go. I would LOVE to have a awesome LFS to choose my corals and fish from. But up here in the wilds of Montana, there just isn't anything.

petjunkie

Everything in my tanks are online purchases except for a rock of hairy mushrooms and a royal gramma. I figured the distributor to the pet store up here couldn't screw up a gramma. For me to buy fish locally I have to pay three times the price for a fish I can't see. I have a very small pet store and they order from a guy six hours away, many times the fish spend two days making it up here with no heat packs or oxygen. Most of the freshwater fish don't make it and there's no guarentee. I have never had a problem ordering online from several different places. As for shipping, I don't even care anymore, but this place has the cheapest around and as I only order a few times a year I usually buy one or two fish, restock my cleaning crew, and maybe throw in some coral. If I could buy stuff around here I'm sure I would though but not an option for me.