buying the right sand

dicemanj

I am going to change my CC to LS. I plan on buying 1 20lb bag of LS from my LFS, and get about 100ls of play sand.
I can not find the southdown sand at Home Depot. I have checked several other stores as well. All I can find is play sand, some of it says premium play sand. How do I know if this sand is okay to use.
Do I need to rinse this sand before I put it in my display tank? I am going to put my LR, shrooms, CMS, and anenome in a container with heat and power heads, using the same water from my tank. How long should I wait to put the same water and LR back into the tank. If I am using the same water, do I need to worry about doing anything else.
I know this questions has been asked several times, but I am still a little unsure on if the play sand is okay?
Thanks

logan15

maybe someone can post the sku of the Southdown sand bags and BTW you dont wash them the particles is what is needed for the bacteria :D
Logan

bang guy

Just my opinion, but I would not use Silica based play sand. If you can't find Arragonite sand and don't want to have it shipped to you then I'd suggest a more pure silica sand than what is used for play sand. Silica sands suitable for aquariums are pure white and not crushed. Also avoid pool filter sand as it contains lots of jagged edges.
If there's a warning about the danger of silicosis then it's probably ok for aquarium use. I still recommend spending the money for aragonite sand though.

twoharts

HI dicemanj
I called the Southdown Company and asked them where I can get their product. They said "they sell to Home Depot, Lowes and also check with Ace Hardware,"
They also said "they market it under the name of "::
Yard Right
Dura Skate
Old castle
ANd SouthDown
I hope this helps as I am also looking for the same stuff where I live.
:D

dicemanj

I know this is not the same as SD, but SD is not available in Columbus ohio.
I am looking for alternatives
Thanks again

dicemanj

my question is at this point, will this sand work. My plan was to use this and top it off with a 20lb bag of LS.