Buying Used Live Rock

oscar1129

Hello,
Im new to this hobby and was wondering about some incite on live rock. My local fish store charges $6 a pound (US) but I found a guy local that is just wanting to get rid of his set up. He is selling his rock at $3 a pound. I asked about the condition of his tank and he said that he hasent really done anything to it except for topping it off and feeding his fish, maybe two or three of them. He could never get his nitrate level down is why he wants to get out of the hobby. What can I do to make sure that the rock is in good quality? Should I test his water to see if there is any unsual amounts of contaminents like nitrate or copper?
Thanks,
Oscar1129

uneverno

Welcome to the forum.
All live rock is used, so to speak. As long as the tank you're getting it from reads 0 ammonia and nitrites, you should be ok under the following condition:
It needs to be rock that is saltwater safe, i.e. not lava rock, not slate, etc.
That he can't get rid of his nitrates has nothing to do with whether or not the rock is doing its job. Nitrate is the end result of what live rock can do in the Nitrogen equation.
If there are heavy metal remnants, such as copper, in the tank though, I would avoid the rock altogether. Heavy metals will kill your inverts and they're almost impossible to get rid of.

ophiura

Can you ask for a pic of his tank and rock and post it?
In general it is not an issue - maybe even better - to buy "used" LR like this. It tends to have more growth and will have less die off.
BUT, it can backfire. And I am a bit worried. It is sad to see someone get out of the hobby for something like nitrates which can be resolved. :(
Anyway, if it is covered with algae and such it may not be the best deal. If you are in the St. Louis area, check if you have a local reef club. You may find equally good deals there from folks.

al mc

While unlikely, it is possible to bring in parasites. like Ich, as well with any wet surface (fish, inverts, rock) in this hobby. If you are able, I would 'QT' the live rock for 4 weeks before adding it to an estaablished tank.

deon nyc

when i stater my tank i got some free rock from a guy i knew but his tank was not the greatest. so i left the rock outside for a few week in the backyard letting the rain and sun hit it. yes this kills everything on the rock but then it became base rock that i used and after about 6months that rock came back alive. cheep or free is always but u have to have the time and dont rush your tank it took my 1year b4 i started fish to my tank. remember just have fun. where are u located if that guy have more rock i wont mind getting some myself.

oceandude

Just point blank ask if he has ever treated his tank with copper. If not, the rock will be fine. L/R even if cured will have a mini cycle once removed and transported. (even short distances). Unless you transport it completely submerged with an air stone going.

oscar1129

Thanks for all the posts!
I can't get a picture up here for some reason, but from a picture that I saw, the tank wasnt cloudy. But there was nothing growing on the rocks, no coral or alge. I dont know if he just didnt get into the hobby at all or what. I'll be sure to ask about the copper treatments.
Quarantine is a good idea, but do I have to do it on my initial setup. Like I said, I very new to this hobby. I plan on setting my tank up with freshwater this week just to make sure my pluming and sump are built correctly, then in goes the saltwater, live sand, and live rock.

oscar1129

I just got off the phone with the guy, he said that he has never treated the tank with copper. Also there is little stuff growing in the tank, he said that he has had his lights off for quite some time. Maybe thats why there isnt much on the rocks?? There is a fish in the tank that he regularly feeds, so the rock is being used. He also mentioned that there are some types of growth the "pop" up on the rocks. He didnt make it sound like anything bad. The tank as been establised for 1.75 years.
Man I wish I were an expert....with time.

meowzer

The pic you posted is his tank? I think if it was set up for almost 2 years the tank itself would have more growth on it.....look at the back wall and sand...they look wayyyy too clean

oscar1129

Thanks meowzer
I set up an appointment to go pick up the stuff, I guess its worth the savings buying like this. I will let ya know when I get to actually see it. Maybe I'll get to ask some more questions when I get there.
Thanks again, I look forward to learning and sharing experiences on this forum!