Cableguy's 75g (First salt water tank) *Journal*

cableguy

No he didnt have a shell at the time, thats why I thought he was dead.
Holy crap, that joes juice is NO joke! After staring at the tank for about 2 hour yesterday, and then another two hours today, I found a total of seven of those manjano's- 5 on the same rock. The one was about the size of a quarter, but the others were from the size of a dime, to very very very small... like the size of a pen. On that big sucker I sprayed some juice on it and the thing was dead with in like 30 seconds. It like sucks all of the life out of them.
The extra that floats around the tank wont hurt other things like clams and feather dusters will it? Stuff seems too strong, almost scary strong on how quick it killed those.

meowzer

What do you mean you sprayed it?? Joes Juice comes with a syringe, and you just inject some into (or on) it....should not be a lot extra floating around if you do it right

cableguy

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3248650
What do you mean you sprayed it?? Joes Juice comes with a syringe, and you just inject some into (or on) it....should not be a lot extra floating around if you do it right
Correct. There was just a little extra that would float around. I only filled the syringe about 1/5 the way and squited it onto about 7 of them and still had some left over.

cableguy

So this live rock I got, is awesome. The amount of life it has is amazing, and well... a little too much!!
I have seriously went on a anemone rampage. They are springing up in farms. I have killed or tried to kill like 20 or more. A bunch of little tiny ones and then two bigs ones about the size of a quarter or more. And I just saw another one but Im now washed up and eating some pizza, so he will have to wait until the morning.
Tank stats:
pH: 8.2
Ammonia: ~1.5 (Still on the up... :( )
Nitrite: ~.25
Nitrate: 10
Time for bed.

tang4me

Great purchase on that rock. Looks really good. You may end up not liking that CC. It tends to show algae/debris more than sand. It also traps debris so it will have to be vacuumed. Tank looks really good though!

ibanez

Chances are, your battle with majano will be on-going for the next couple of months. Just hang in there you will get them. If you turn your pumps off before treating them it helps with stuff not floating around.

cableguy

PH: 7.8
Ammonia: ~2.0
Nitrites: ~ 1.0 <--- Changing (Has always been a blue, Now is a purple.
Nitrates: Still a solid 10
With this crazy high ammonia and nitrite things are still alive and moving... for now.

cableguy

Ammonia: Between 1 and 2
Nitrite: I cant tell if its 1.0 or 5.0??
Nitrate: 20
Saw one of my Mantis shrimp crawling around about 30 mins ago so it must not be too bad in there.

cableguy

Just ordered 120lbs of sand. Will be taking out *most* of the CC and putting sand down instead. Seems CC is a little too messy and sand I think looks better. (All white sand)

cableguy

Caught two of the mantis shrimps... I know I still have at least one more in there.
Ammonia: .5 (on its way down!!)
Nitrites: Again, cant tell if it is 1.0 or 5.0??
Nitrates: 20

tang4me

Originally Posted by cableguy
http:///forum/post/3251167
Just ordered 120lbs of sand. Will be taking out *most* of the CC and putting sand down instead. Seems CC is a little too messy and sand I think looks better. (All white sand)
I did the same thing on my first tank. I cursed the day I put CC in. You will definitely like the sand better. Looks more natural too. Try to get as much of the CC out as possible. Remember the CC will be pushed to the surface as the sand settles if you cover it.

cableguy

Tank is looking good..
Level are on the way down down down down... ;) Happy here!
I am waiting for my joes juice / astipia x regiment and my 120lbs of live sand to come and re scape after finding and killing all of the manjano's and taking out the CC and replacing it with the Live sand, so hopefully the tank will not or if at all, it will mini cycle this weekend and then I can start with a small CUC and then a fish come next week / weekend.
Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: .25-.5
"Verry nice!"
Ohh crap, I just remembered I still have the biggest of the three mantis shrimps I still have to get.. ugh! He just might be the unlucky on and get the scissor trick if he wont goto the trap where I caught the other two.

cableguy

Ammonia: 0
Nitrites 0
Levels are looking good.
How do you raise the PH? Im going to have to do some more reading... So far I think if I add some calcium it will up the PH..?

browniebuck

I believe that there is a product that will do that, pH plus is one of the names that is out there...never had to use it, my saltwater has always been right on in terms of pH (what brand of salt are you using?)

browniebuck

one thing that you could do, assuming that your barnacles die off, is get a barnacle blenny, they like to call them home. I have a diadema psuedochromis in our 29 gallon that lives in an old urchin shell...neat to see things get re-used in the tank.

cableguy

I forget the name... its like Ocean something.
ha! Those things are friggin cool!
I gotta get rid of this last mantis before I get anything. Worst part is, he is big and just a gorgeous red and I really dont want to kill him but I cant trap him so we will see... Still waiting for my live sand to come and swap it out with the CC so he still has a couple more days.

cableguy

Just got my Metal Halides installed... The tank looks amazing. I will get some shots.
.... hurry up live sand!!!

cableguy

Surprisingly I got my live sand today so when I got home, I went to work.
Getting out all of my CC was a PITA and between doing that and putting in the live sand my tank is now a cloud. Once the sediment settles I am going to pull out the rock where I think the last mantis is and spray some soda water into the wholes of the rock... see what comes out. If I can hurry up and net him and then throw him in my temporary mantis tank, I will. I'd rather not kill him as he is the best looking out of the three.