Calarpa taking over my tank! Help

javatech

If you don't have any corals in the tank just keep it dark for a week
or what i did with some Bryopsis was to cover the spot with a pach of pond liner for two to fore weeks and after that it never came back

murph

Originally Posted by Tonidonova
I have caulerpa that is disappearing. What do I need to do?This is my first saltwater tank.
Macros having a hard time growing may not be a bad thing. May indicate that there is a lack of nutrients to sustain it which for the enclosed system is a good thing. Or it could be low light conditions or something is eating it faster than it can grow.
If your testing vary low for nitrate and phosphate all alga's have a hard time growing. The point of having these macros is to eliminate the above. You may have accomplished this.

goulding.c

I had it start taking over my 125 once. It was so out of control with all the lights that I had to take drastic measures. Handpicking was not working as it would grow back so fast. I took out the 6 large pieces of live rock with it on it and put them in the fuge in the dark for 2 months until it died off. I had a few othe rbig pieces of base rock that I just put outside in the 10 degree winter weather for a week. Now it is all back where it should be in the refugium.
All the other options are great too but in some cases it will over run everything if condidtions are right. The stuff in my refugium now doesn't even grow at all anymore. Which I guess is good since all my trates and phosphorous is 0.
CG

805puffer

Hi, has anyone ever heard of sea urchins eating the calerpa? I talked to my lfs and they said that they would eat a good amount of it. I have a lot of little polyps and stuff like that growing on my live rock, so i would rather not turn the lights off. Thanks for the replies anyways. Is it good to have calerpa growing in the sump tank? Thanks Bye

goulding.c

I heard that to about the urchins, In my case I decided that at 6 inches a day move from right to left in the tank I had to take drastic actions. I added emerald crabs, the yellow tank seemed to eat everything but it at least he didn't even help after I hand pulled everything I could see.
Now in my sump I have it but it has never grown an inch in a year. I have low lighting in there, but my nitrates and phosphorous is zero or very very low. I also use those phorsphorous removing pellets in a hang on filter. When I added that my algea problems pretty much disappeared, and that may also help to slow the kelp growth. I would just be careful, I seen many tanks that a little was added and before you know it, it has covered everything so thick it could have been sold asa cha cha chea tank. It grow right over polyps and corals too which blocks there light.
Anybody else see tanks follow this scenerio?
CG

goulding.c

That sounded wrong, I meant that the kelp was growing 6 to 10 inches a day covering everything from right to left in my tank. I did not think anything could eat it that fast.
Sorry not a very good typer or speler

cg

805puffer

how many crabs do you think i should add. I have one crab right now. Did you eventually add any urchins? I'm going to put a unicorn tang in there, the lfs said he would eat it right up, I hope there right. Has anyone ever had a unicorn tang, maybe you guys can give me some info on them. Thanks

goulding.c

I had 4 crabs one yellow tang, no urchins. After watching them for 3 weeks and not even make a differance, I started pullling rock and puuting it in the sump with no lights. Once I put the rock back in the main tank everything grew right back on it very quick. Ho wfast is it growing? Mine was growing so fast there was no way any tangs or crabs could have consumed it fast enough. Good Luck
CG

symon

I have a yellow tang, and she is an alge eating machine, although i don't have anything growing wildly, but my tang donen't allow nothing to grow!

bang guy

Originally Posted by goulding.c
That sounded wrong, I meant that the kelp was growing 6 to 10 inches a day covering everything from right to left in my tank. I did not think anything could eat it that fast.
Kelp can grow incredibly fast. If you harvest it diligently then it will quickly run out of nutrients to support that kind of growth.