Calcium level help

elohssa

What should the calcium level be on newly mixed saltwater? The reason I ask is, last month I switched from IO to Oceanic, not because I wanted to, but for convenience. The lfs in my area started stocking it and the nearest IO (by the bucket) is 80 miles away in Spokane, so I switched. I've been dripping kalk since July and my tests have been perfect.
PH 8.3
Alk 3.06
KH 8.45
Cal 420
But tonight I tested after doing water changes with Oceanic for a month.
PH 8
Alk 2.56
KH 7.2
Cal 450
I have water for changes on hand at all times, so I tested it for cal. and it was off the chart, my test goes to 500. Is this normal?
Should I stop dripping kalk until I get my levels back in balance?
Thank You for any help.

klongo

I don't have an answer - but I've been using Oceanic for several months and have the exact same results. For what it's worth, the readings are extremely stable. I've been doing daily readings on my new tank for the past week (two months old) to determine how much calcium is being depleted and it doesn't seem to be using any! pH 8.0, alk 2.5, CA 450 - every day for a week. My coralline is growing like crazy.....

bang guy

That sounds normal to me for Oceanic. You will need to supplement extra Bicarbonate though so keep testing ALK and add as needed to balance with your Calcium level.

klongo

Another board mentioned using baking soda to supplement - Could it really be as easy as just adding baking soda and using Oceanic salt? :D (nothing is ever THAT easy)

sleeri

Could someone please explain the baking soda bit? I'd like to know why it's needed and how you add it? Just curious.