Calling all experts

I use RO water with Instant Ocean salt and then add liquid calcium, iodine, strontium and molybdenum to my water I make for water changes. I used to use Purple Up but I didn't like how it jumped my iodine levels so much even with small doses.

sepulatian

Originally Posted by Marine Fanatic
I use RO water with Instant Ocean salt and then add liquid calcium, iodine, strontium and molybdenum to my water I make for water changes. I used to use Purple Up but I didn't like how it jumped my iodine levels so much even with small doses.
Same water I am using, but you add more stuff. And mine comes from the ground. I do not suggest well water for most people. I happen to be lucky with my location.

sepulation, you are indeed very lucky to have good quality well water...I'm envious.
Farslayer, thanx for the link.....learned something new tonight about diatoms :) I never had diatoms in any tank that I can remember...I have never used tap water.....besides using low grade play sand and tap water, what else can put silicates in your tank?
Hserock, sorry we kinda got off track a bit but as you can read....water quality that you place in your tank is very important.....check your local Walgreens or even Walmart...a lot of them have RO dispensing units right outside and it's very cheap....or bribe sepulation for some of that magical well water

shipwrecked

Im having the same problem,I dont have an ro unit either,Im using the aquarium pharm tap water purifier,but unfortunately it doesnt do a good job at phosphate and silicate removal,but Im experimenting with using a filter filled with silicate and phosphate remover and using it overnight to see if this is a cheap remedy for now...the best advice would be an Ro unit,but as we know,this is kinda costly...I also had an outbreak of red slime,covering corals,and LR,glass,the faster I cleaned the more it covered.I did use an antibiotic,not good practice,but it did keep it at bay...well I'd add more,but I have to get back to cleaning the glass in my 90....

bang guy

Originally Posted by Hserock
It's just the darn ugly diatoms. I guess my question was answered that even ro water can have diatom issues.
Here are a few more questions:
Are there diatom loving creatures????
Are ro systems a pain?
Oh, I should mention this tank has been up and running for 1.5 years w/original stock. So I know it's the water and not new tank syn.
Is spring water a better option for topping off between water changes than tap with chlor-out?
The Diatom population in an aquarium is usually only limited by the amount of Silicate in the water (not Silica).
RO membranes typically only remove about 70% of Silicate from tap water. A DI will remove 99+. Excess diatoms will be reduced a LOT just by using a RO/DI filter.
Most of the snails in the hobby will eat Diatoms. For many types of snails diatoms are the staple food.