Came along with some acans, what is it good or bad?

star27624

No apparent damage to the acans themselves. There appears to be an indention that would fit this critter. I have it hanging out in a bag of SW atm. I have a breeder box thing that I can place it in until there is a definitive ID on it. I wold hate to destroy it just because I don;t know what it is.

spanko

Hard to tell from the picture. Looks like it could be a shrimp of some sort, Mantis or Pistol. Need a clearer pic me thinks.

star27624

Definitely not a type of shrimp. It resembles body-wise a spider in a way. It was alive when I posted these pics, I am not sure if it is still alive or not. I will try to get some pics of the underside of it here in a little bit.
Belly shot

Back shot

Where is Cranberry at when you want her?

keri

He looks too big to me to be a zoo eating spider, looks more like a little lobster or hermit without it's shell *shrug*
zoa spiders

size comparison (they are quite small, that's a zoa polyp that it's laying on)

cranberry

Funny, I saw these for the first time about a month ago while at a fish convention. I was amazed and had no idea what they were at the time. Nothing like I'd ever seen. They are evidently coming in on acans/micromussa (or whatever... I don't claim to know much about corals :) and the corals I saw were riddled with them. Man, I totally forget their name, but it's home in my notes (I'm at work).
They are a crab or a shrimp... something like that, if I remember correctly.... they look more like a crab but I remember thinking I would never have guessed them as such.... so I'm not sure.
They are harmless to your coral, I remember that.... I think. I got a few really really bad pictures at home as well. They were in one of the zero-edge tanks and there is no way to focus with those unless you have a photobox.... mine wasn't with me.
I will get you the name when I get off :)
I want one.... LOL.

cranberry

Okay I'm home :) I'm going to post my very very VERY bad pic. I don't even know why I am posting it actually.... it really is that bad, but you can see it's the same critter. I'm pretty sure it's a crab, but I need to go to my book to see what I wrote on them.

cranberry

Bingo. Galatheid crab. Sometimes called a squat lobster.
*hugs her notebook*
I wrote: conflicting reports. More research needed. I believe commensal.
Which means.... some are saying bad things and some are saying they are good. I need to look around in the writings of those I trust. From what I read I believe them to be commensal.
Am I spelling that right? Commensal? It's showing up with a red underline. And there's no suggestions in the dictionary. LOL.. I suck at spelling.
Do you still have squatty?

cranberry

Y'all are talking behind my back about my bad picture, aren't you?

Is Squaty still with us? Does he have friends?

star27624

Originally Posted by Cranberry
http:///forum/post/3037369
Is Squaty still with us? Does he have friends?
Squaty is amazing still with us in his little deli bowl. I had moved it from on top of the tank to some shelves next to the tank ad had forgotten all about it. When I saw your posts I went and looked and was very surprised to find a live critter. I haven't found any others, though I do suddenly have astrina-looking starfish that are munching on favia's and monti's.