Camera Shopping ISO pics

earlybird

Mods- move this thread if you need to but I figure I'd get more replies in this forum.
My camera broke recently and I'm shopping around.
I'm looking at the koday easy share Z612 but would like to see some of your favorite pictures and would like to know the camera that took them. Thanks to those who participate.

teen

these were taken with my little brothers dimage Z3. dont know much about it, but it was a few hundred bux a few years ago. its a nice camera, tkaes nice pictures and i just let my brother set it up to take pics of my tank.
heres some of my favorites

earlybird

Thanks teen. I'm hoping to get some more pictures and camera recommendations. I'm fishing a dolphin, wahoo, and kingfish tourney this weekend and I must have a camera.

N

nemo_66

Depends on how much you want to spend. if you have a hefty budget, i would go with the DSLR.

perfectdark

I bought a Minolta Maxxum 5D Digital SLR 6.1 MP. Mainly because I had Minolta film camera SLR and I could use the same lens on the digital camera. So all I had to do was buy the camera body and I was all set. However I did end up getting another lens because digital format is configured on a different scale than film so the same lens on one doesnt equate to the same aspect ratio's on the other. Its a relativly expensive camera but the pictures are awesome. And I havent even really dialed it in yet.
Here are a couple

N

nemo_66

Wow perfectdark, your tank is starting to look good, im getting jelauos.

anyhow, i would get a canon whatever your dicsion may be. good luck.

reefkprz

what ever you do dont buy a HP photo smart 433, they are junk. IMO you should try for one that has lens zoom not digital zoom. digitall zoom tends to make the pictures blurr a bit. kodak digitals are ok, but I dont like the photo editing software, I used my buddies for a while and all it did was bogg down my machine for limeted options.

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
I bought a Minolta Maxxum 5D Digital SLR 6.1 MP. Mainly because I had Minolta film camera SLR and I could use the same lens on the digital camera. So all I had to do was buy the camera body and I was all set. However I did end up getting another lens because digital format is configured on a different scale than film so the same lens on one doesnt equate to the same aspect ratio's on the other. Its a relativly expensive camera but the pictures are awesome. And I havent even really dialed it in yet.
Here are a couple
You got the camera I want! My Minolta 5000i died and I have all these lenses. I just need the body also. Great looking shots!

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by teen
these were taken with my little brothers dimage Z3. dont know much about it, but it was a few hundred bux a few years ago. its a nice camera, tkaes nice pictures and i just let my brother set it up to take pics of my tank.
heres some of my favorites

I love this shot! Looks just like mine!

teen

Originally Posted by Tiberius
I love this shot! Looks just like mine!
i was trying to capture the blue and red stripes around his eyes, there pretty cool looking. :happyfish

perfectdark

You got the camera I want! My Minolta 5000i died and I have all these lenses. I just need the body also. Great looking shots!

Lol ty, it really is a nice camera. IMO Minolta is under rated not being one of the premiere names it is usually forgoten about. Not many people know that Minolta invented SLR's a long time ago, eveyone else just jumped on board.
You know that famous auction site right? well thats where i got mine brand new. Search it, you'll find a camera body cheap. Good Luck

perfectdark

Originally Posted by Nemo_66
Wow perfectdark, your tank is starting to look good, im getting jelauos.

anyhow, i would get a canon whatever your dicsion may be. good luck.

Thanks man, I am slowing down a bit and trying to let the tank catch up. I dont want to overload it too much too quick. :joy:

earlybird

Thanks. I'm looking for a camera with image stabilization and good optical zoom which I believe is different than digital zoom?

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by PerfectDark
Lol ty, it really is a nice camera. IMO Minolta is under rated not being one of the premiere names it is usually forgoten about. Not many people know that Minolta invented SLR's a long time ago, eveyone else just jumped on board.
You know that famous auction site right? well thats where i got mine brand new. Search it, you'll find a camera body cheap. Good Luck
That is where I was looking! Just haven't gotten around to committing myself to click the bid part.
I had my Minolta back in '85. It lasted 22 years! Everyone used to stare at my camera when it rewound film!

T

tiberius

Originally Posted by teen
i was trying to capture the blue and red stripes around his eyes, there pretty cool looking. :happyfish
I love it how he always stares at me. He follows me when I am looking at the tank. He now backs in to his hole in the rock. Gets in there about 15 minutes before the lights go out. He used to swim in it and turn around. He has gotten such a belly on him.

perfectdark

Originally Posted by earlybird
Thanks. I'm looking for a camera with image stabilization and good optical zoom which I believe is different than digital zoom?

Yes absolutly it is. Most Digital SLR's have optical zoom, not digital. Let me rephrase that, most decent Digital SLR's have optical zoom.
The difference in a nut shell is, optical zoom allows you to zoom in and out of a frame without losing its quality no matter how far in you zoom to moves you closer to the object being photographed. Digital Zoom is not bringing you closer to the picture, it digitally crops the picture and then enlarges it to the size of your view finder, resulting in a poor quality picture.
I am not sure about todays Digital SLR's but when I got mine stated in an above post. It was about 2 yrs ago, it was the only Digital SLR that had image stabilization. Although its an over kill with slr's mainly because there is no shutter lag in an SLR so there is no need for it. It would be like adding that into a film camera. But the functions of the camera allow you to add alot of lag into the shutter for more dramatic shots or to allow more light in. for that reason the IMS is a must, but I have never used it.
Your std cyber shots and others of that type have a real lot of lag time before the actual picture is taken as you press the button it has to focus then you press it fully, it re checks focus measures light and snaps the shot. All that even though takes no more than 1/2 sec to 1 full sec can blurr a pic with out the stabilization feature.

perfectdark

That is where I was looking! Just haven't gotten around to committing myself to click the bid part.
I had my Minolta back in '85. It lasted 22 years! Everyone used to stare at my camera when it rewound film!
LOL Thats funny but I hear ya. I actually still have my film camera body that I dont want anymore its a Maxxum 5 Lol. All I did is upgrade to the 5D, its about 4 yrs old and has only been used for 2 so its not that unheard of yet. If you still want a film camera let me know. I have the case for it and everything.

marinfire1

i dont have pics yet but i went out and bought the olyumpus 770sw which u can take underwater without a case and it works for like snorking and stuff so u could get some cool inside ur tank shots...its water proof up to 33 ft deep which is very cool and its also drop and crush proof... its a little more $$ like in the $320 range but its well worth it....the pics i have taken with it are amazing