Can amphipods eat ZOAS??

meowzer

Just as the title reads
CAN THEY???
I have 2 groups of zoas that are slowly disappearing....I have checked them day and night..afternoon and morning etc...
I have dipped one in FW, and also in lugols...NOTHING
the only thing I ever see on them are amphipods
SOOOO can they????

nissan577

never dip zoas in freshwater thats bad. many zoa lovers told me it stresses them. also try putting them in another tank.

meowzer

Originally Posted by nissan577
http:///forum/post/3195188
never dip zoas in freshwater thats bad. many zoa lovers told me it stresses them. also try putting them in another tank.
LOL...I'm not gonna move them...what IF they had something on them..then I would spread it...I have other zoas in this tank that are fine though too
so is that a yes or no to the amphipod question

scopus tang

Yes, there are some amphipods that will eat zoas - however not many, and it is far more likely that something else is causing them to close up and melt, and the amphipods are simply eating the decaying tissue. Is there any evidence of a brownish fungus on the closed polyps? If so, remove the zoas, dip in a lugals iodine dip or a Hydrogen peroxide dip, and brush them off with a soft bristled tooth brush.

meowzer

Originally Posted by Scopus Tang
http:///forum/post/3197297
Yes, there are some amphipods that will eat zoas - however not many, and it is far more likely that something else is causing them to close up and melt, and the amphipods are simply eating the decaying tissue. Is there any evidence of a brownish fungus on the closed polyps? If so, remove the zoas, dip in a lugals iodine dip or a Hydrogen peroxide dip, and brush them off with a soft bristled tooth brush.
That's the thing...there is nothing out of the ordinary..

I did the lugols dip too....it's only affecting these 2 colonies also.

bill109

whats going to stress them more..
a couple of minutes in fresh water or something eating them and keeping them closed every day..
i fw dip and i recommend it. it will kill all the critters on there. good or bad. dont leave the zoas in there for more than say ten minutes. its a quick dip. fw is okay for zoas because they are all closed up..

bcollett

I had an instance where my Zoanthids and Paly's were all staying closed up.
Ironically it happened after I installed a new protien skimmer and my water params went from swamp like to pristine. I think the rapid change in available food in the water put them in to shock. During that time however I had one colony of Zoas that were thriving. I just did my best to keep my water parameters in spec and steady and after about a month or two they all started opening again and spreading like wild-fire.
I have also had Zoas disappear though, but they weren't being eaten, they were just dropping off of the rock. They would come loose and float off in small groups usually. I tried placing them in a different area when that started happening. They were near, but not touching, other corals and i think maybe they were just looking for a better place to live. After i moved the colony to a new place in the tank, they stopped releasing from the rock and all was well again.

gill again68

I am certainly asking and not suggesting here as I am not informed but if everyone has amphipods in there tanks wouldn't more people be having this issue or could it be a system by system thing where food for the pods very?
PM coming Meowzer.

spanko

Agree with Kray here. Here is a discussion from Bob Fenner.
"Meat eating amphipods... comp./removal 8/26/2009
Hello! I have a nano tank (approximately 20g) that up until recently has not had any problems—all creatures are growing, show great polyp extension, and coloration. My parameters are all in line with the hobby standards and I do not dose anything.
<Good desc., protocol>
I change approximately 40-50&#37; of the tank water per month, which is about 2.5g per week. I recently noticed seemingly large amphipods hanging out at the base of my red people eater Zoanthid colony and I just assumed they were cleaning up, until now. The last few nights I have witnessed the amphipods eating the skirts and then moving on to flesh surrounding the mouth and by morning all that's left of the polyp is a horrible looking nub. They have devoured almost four polyps and I fear it's going to continue.
<Likely so>
The rest of the colony continues to look beautiful, fully extends, and doesn't have Nudibranchs, Zoa spiders, poxs, or any type of infection.
I have done some research and it seems that there's differing opinions whether amphipods actually behave in this manner.
<Some species definitely do>
For three nights, I have personally witness these creatures sitting, picking, and eating the flesh. I have tried to shoo them away, but can not sit in front of the tank all night. Also, I have purchased a 6-line wrasse to help control the amphipod population, but it seems that the wrasse goes to sleep well before the amphipods come out.
<Good observation>
I have thought about feeding the tank extra food in case the amphipods are starving, which doesn't seem like a good idea due to increasing the nutrient load and aiding in another meat eating amphipod explosion. I've thought about removing the Zoanthids to another tank, but I'm worried that the amphipods will just start munching on another colony. Do you have any other suggestions? Words of wisdom?
<Bait them out, remove them>
I greatly appreciate your help. WetWebMedia is a fantastic resource, thank you!
Sincerely,
May S.
<Do "look about" re various trapping products, procedures... can be done. Happy hunting. Bob Fenner>"

garick

certain zoa's are notorious for just suddenly melting away also. just FYI Fine one day and melted away the next for no apparent reason.

kraylen

Originally Posted by Garick
http:///forum/post/3224535
certain zoa's are notorious for just suddenly melting away also. just FYI Fine one day and melted away the next for no apparent reason.
That has nothing to do with the pods though.

garick

true but, but he never said he see's them eating them just that they are on them.
They could just be eating the melt/waste from them melting. So depending on the zoa they could just be melting and the pods eating the dead.

meowzer

WEll this was a while ago....and most of the zoas "disappeared" funny thing is they are now growing back....so I have no clue

garick

what kind/color are they? I know some people with africans that melted to like 1 or 2 then grew back.