Can anyone ID this?

fishieness

Originally Posted by sign guy
fishiness do you think that it is gonipora
that i do
dragonboy: the poster never said it was a tube though. just that it retracted into a skeleton at night
and viet-tin has it right one :happyfish theywere once considered very easy to keep, but now that everyone is so finiky about their reef with low nutrients, most of them do not survive with out proper feedings. deep sand beds, and improper filtration used to provide these animals with a lot of natural foods. But now with protein skimmers, and oversized sumps and such, they do not find the food they need form the home aquarium. which is why they die. but if fed the proper sized food often, they can do great. a coral farmer in my reef club named Justin has been aquaculturing these for years. he did a presentation testing all different foods anywhere from seabass blood to pepermint shrimp eggs. The size of the peperming shrimp eggs seemed to have the best effect. oyster eggs also would work great, but can be expensive. and to my knowledge no one sells pep. shrimp eggs. other zoo plankton foods will also work however like cyclops eeze as viet tin has mentioned

puffer32

I believe its some type of clove polop, does it resemble these on the right at all? But there are many types of clove polops.

fishieness

the centers do look a little like a clove..... but i personally have never seen a species of clove polyp with that many fingers on the skirt. im not saying there arent any. jsut that i havent seen any and would love for anyone to post a pic of their cloves for comparison.

blb9

Well, a lot of good info
! I think this is goniopora, first of all because the coral definately retracts in to a hard, flat skeleton. No lumps or tubes, only protrusion in the fleshy polyps. I do not have any skimmers, but I do have a very deep sand bed ( 2-4 inches). This seems to account for it's health

L

lbaskball

Originally Posted by BLB9
Well, a lot of good info
! I think this is goniopora, first of all because the coral definately retracts in to a hard, flat skeleton. No lumps or tubes, only protrusion in the fleshy polyps. I do not have any skimmers, but I do have a very deep sand bed ( 2-4 inches). This seems to account for it's health

I think its a geniopora too, but i am also leaning towards zoas but I think its a geniopora..lol Thats pretty awesome that its growing.

grumpygils

This coral came on my live rock(uncured) and is doing very well. It's entire tissue swells up during the day.
I think it is alvepora. Easier than gona and more prolithic. I have it growing in several areas of my main tank.
Mc

blb9

grumpygils, I read somewhere that alveleopora has 12 tentacles per polyp. this coral has 24 tentacles per polyp, which my book says is the mark of a goniopora. I could be wrong, though

grumpygils

grumpygils, I read somewhere that alveleopora has 12 tentacles per polyp. this coral has 24 tentacles per polyp, which my book says is the mark of a goniopora. I could be wrong, though
Mine is really tiny so I can't tell for sure how many tentacles but I think it is 24? Maybe mine is gona but I don't think so. I need to ask my LFS guy....again. I told him about it and he said it was something but I can't remember what he said it was. It was neither gona or alvepora?