Can Anyone identify this invert?

rck-star

Do you know what this thing is ?
Its about 3 inches long by 1.5 inches wide and moves like a snail.....
its all white. I have seen it a couple of times and I thought it was a coral until I saw it moving today....
Thanks
Joe

shoreliner11

Probably a nudibranch as said above. Have you lost any corals or anything? Generally most nudis have specialized diets so most do not last that long in our tanks. Nice pic though.

fishamajig

Looks like a lettuce nudibranch to me. does it have a green spotted color? and the lettuce nudibranch is an algie eater so it can exist in your tank as part of your clean up crew.

yosemite sam

Is there any way you can get a better picture? It looks somewhat like lettuce nudibranch, but I'm still not convinced. The head the a ruffles on the side look a bit different. Watch is closely. Some species of nudibranchs are coralivores.

rck-star

My finger leather is very shrunk and pulsing xenia are constricted as well
Is this becase of the invert?
It is always under my finger leather?
It comes out when lights are off.
Should I get this thing out of my tank?
Thanks
Joe

yosemite sam

I would take it out, just to be safe. Do you have a refugium or something to put it in, to see what it eats? How long have you noticed it in the tank? Is there any visible damage on the leather, can you see if it has been munched on? Did the change in the leather and xenia coincide with the appearance of the nudibranch?

clown52

Ok now THAT one really came out of no where..... Bang you amaze me. :thinking:
I mean do you just have some kind of amazing search engine you just aren't telling us about?!?

bang guy

I've seen a lot of wierd animals in my tanks over the years. When I see one I try to eventually figure out what it is.

rck-star

No Spots ... its all white ... the sides almost look like coral branches. I just noticed it over the last month. I have been adding rock about every two months. Its a 250 gal. I have over 150 lbs of rock and the tank still looks half full. I am converting to a refugium this month.. I am going to pull it out and see what happens ...
I have another hitchhiker in my tank ( No PICTURE) I have seen it twice in the last year. It blends in to the rock and is about the size of a 50 cent piece. It releases a puff of smoke or ink whenever anthing gets close to it.. It looks like its smoking a cigerette ... lol I have only noticed it when the lights first turn on.
it is very hard to find ... Like I said I have only seen it twice in the last year. any ideas ?
thanks for all the info guys.
Joe

bang guy

Not if it's what I think it is. I'd need a pic to know what it is for sure though.
Typically Coral Munchers are egg layers.

bang guy

Originally posted by Yosemite Sam
Bang, just out of curiousity, do you know it's name, or at least the family name?

Sorry, missed this post.
Try a search on Tritoniopsis sp. The nudi I had was a Tritoniopsis elegans