Can anyone identify this?

I've got some LR with all kinds of creatures crawling on it. These caterpillar looking things along with hundreds of baby crabs. The baby crabs I am assuming came from 1 of the 2 I have in the tank. Except one crab ate the other now I'm down to 1 crab. But I have NO idea what these caterpillar type things are. Their are quite a few. There pinkish with a light black stripe some are very little and some are at least 2 inches.
I hope you can view the image..if not let me know and I'll use photobucket.

meowzer

Bristleworms...they are actually good for your tank since they eat detrius and other waste
DO NOT try to touch one though.....the bristles will sting you, and from what I hear it HURTS

S

saxman

if you do a search for "Gammarid amphipods", you'll most likely find your "baby crabs", if not Gammarids, they are most likely mysids or Munnid isopods.

seamandrew

Yeah, those are bristleworms in your picture Coffeejunkie...as long as you have a Fish only tank with live rock don't worry about them. But if you have coral or inverts such as clams/scallops, these bristleworms can be a serious problem. There are fish who love to eat them, I believe the royal dottyback is one of them, but be forewarned, I had one of them until just about a month ago and they can be rather territorial.

socal57che

Most bristle worms are not hunter/killer organisms. Most only eat things that are dead or dying. I have never, ever seen a bristle worm eat a healthy specimen.

detguy313

Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/3216471
Most bristle worms are not hunter/killer organisms. Most only eat things that are dead or dying. I have never, ever seen a bristle worm eat a healthy specimen.
+1 i've seen them mow down something that was dead or on its way out but never go after anything that is healthy

So now I know what those things are. There is a ton of life on this rock. I have never seen so much on one rock. I've got another pic that's pretty cool. My puffer seems to be best friends with my crab. So far he has not even tried to eat him but he will lay on top of the crabs shell. Pretty interesting behavior. I figured he'd eat the crab but so far he's not even interested.

garick

Puffers normally eat any and all shellfish/crustaceans. Its normally just a matter of time really. I think they eat small fish or bigger fish since they have teeth.
Those teeth need things like hard shells to grind on so they do not grow to large they kinda remind you of rodent teeth that need to chew things to keep them short.

Yeah this lil porcupine is just a little baby really. I figure it will only take time till he figures out that he can eat it. It is kind of funny to watch him rest on top of the shell though. The crab is very aggressive towards him of course. I figure 1 day I'll come in and find him chowin down..!! It's only a matter of time!
Originally Posted by crypt keeper
http:///forum/post/3218082
porky puffer is still small. give him time. You will have no cuc or corals if you have any

But where did they come from? I had the rock for a couple months before I noticed hundreds of them running around. I just figured my 2 crabs that I had in the tank had mated. And then the female ate the male kinda deal. Cause after the one crab ate the other not to long after that is when they started appearing.
Originally Posted by socal57che
http:///forum/post/3215479
Amphipod pic...

socal57che

They were introduced with your rock.
Stuff will be coming out of your rock long after you add it. My first peanut worm showed up nearly a year after I added my LR. Organisms live deep within the rock and hide very well. Pick up a LED flashlight with a red lense attachment to watch your nocturnal creatures. I spend as much time staring into my tank in the dark as I do when the lights are on.
If your starter sand came from an established aquarium, they could have come in it also.

bcollett

Originally Posted by seamandrew
http:///forum/post/3215996
Yeah, those are bristleworms in your picture Coffeejunkie...as long as you have a Fish only tank with live rock don't worry about them. But if you have coral or inverts such as clams/scallops, these bristleworms can be a serious problem. There are fish who love to eat them, I believe the royal dottyback is one of them, but be forewarned, I had one of them until just about a month ago and they can be rather territorial.
There are some tales of these worms crawling inside a clam and eating it from the inside out, but I have 3 clams, some different gorgonians and many other corals, and I haven't had an problems with bristle worms. They are awesome CUC members, I had a red firefish die in my tank and i couldn't get to it in the rocks but i could see at night severeal worms coming out to clean it up and by morning it was pretty much gone. I also see the worms out at night cleaning the clam shells off. They are detritus eaters, they dont care about living tissue. There are types of worm that can be very harmful to any tank and one of those are the Eunicid worms/Bobbet worms. They can get MUCH larger than your ordinary Bristle worm and can be predatory on small fish. They're also kind of ugly... There are also coral eating bristle worms but they are not so common either and are a different color. They are mostly a silver color with white bristles and at the base of each bunch of bristles you'll see a red band.
The bristles aren't that painful. I get them in my figers a lot and its no worse than a small splinter of wood or little metal shaving. Pull it out and alls well.
As for ways to control the population, I've seen my Coral Banded Shrimp munch on them from time to time. I wish now that i had bought a Pair of CBS instead of just one. Oh well.

ericjn

I remember having a sally light foot crab in my tank with my porc puffer, and he never bothered him for a while then one day im come home from class and the crab is up in the tank one leg in my puffers mouth...another in my niger triggers mouth, another one in my luna wrasses mouth....another one in my clown tangs mouth.......sad thing was they hadnt pulled him apart yet i can only imagine what was going through his mind at the time...."hey guys whats up...why....why are you guys lookin at me like that...what what are you doing.....OOOOMMMMMMGGGGGGG YYYYYYYYY!" it was sad at the time but now looking back on it....pretty funny, poor crab. But dont trust you porc mine was probly the ring leader in the tank.