can corals sting you and hurt you?

katsafados

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3025739
No silly, silly...
I can't post where the artical comes from because the site won't allow it. I did however copy the artical itself with the ref they used.
Here it is:
A last note: Be Careful!
So, they are all hardy and easy to care for, but there is one more thing you need to be particularly mindful of when it comes to zoanthids. Many types are very poisonous.
There are several types of commonly available zoanthids, including all of the palythoans, that can produce a deadly toxin (appropriately called "palytoxin"). It is found is the mucous coat that they cover themselves with, and if you get enough of it in an open wound, or your eye, mouth, etc. - it just might kill you. Many hobbyists have reported cases of numbness, sickness, and/or hallucinations, but the stuff is actually strong enough to kill, as well.
Handling them when you have a wound is an obvious no-no, but when you touch a colony and get the slime on your fingers (which is unavoidable with these things), it is imperative that you don't rub your eyes, suck your fingers, or even pick your nose until you have washed your hands thoroughly. Really, you should never handle these without wearing protective gloves.
Some hobbyists (including me) have handled zoanthids without gloves many, many times in the past, but it is now well-known that things can go very wrong when this is done, even if you have no wounds you know of and plan on washing your hands immediately after touching a specimen.
Wear the gloves!
References:
•Borneman, E. 2001. Aquarium Corals - Selection, Husbandry, and Natural History. T.F.H. Publications, Neptune City, NJ. 464 pp.
•Burnett, W. J., et. al. 1997. Zoanthids (Anthozoa, Hexacorallia) from the Great Barrier Reef and Torres Strait, Australia: systematics, evolution, and a key to the species. Coral Reefs 16: 55-68.
•Delbeek, J. C. and J. Sprung. 1997. The Reef Aquarium: Volume Two. Ricordea Publishing, Coconut Grove, FL. 546 pp.

scaryy stufff!!!

flower

Originally Posted by Katsafados
http:///forum/post/3025743
scaryy stufff!!!
Yes I thought so too. I think we owe it to our friends here on this very helpful site to educate about a potential danger so everyone can be safe. Zoas are so popular, allot of teens are fragging and these grow awful fast. So I think we need to get the word out.

katsafados

I'm kind of scared to start my tank now. I cant be as careless as I am with my cichlids! lmfao I just hand my hand in the tank feeding my tire track eel some worms.

flower

http:///forum/post/3025764
I'm kind of scared to start my tank now. I cant be as careless as I am with my cichlids! lmfao I just hand my hand in the tank feeding my tire track eel some worms.
Handling anything and not washing your hands can be just as deadly. Are you going to stop going to the bathroom?
Doctors and nurses must wear gloves, they handle deadly germs everyday.
So just be educated and take the proper precautions. That way it will always be an enjoyable hobby for everyone.

katsafados

Originally Posted by Flower
http:///forum/post/3025770
Handling anything and not washing your hands can be just as deadly. Are you going to stop going to the bathroom?
Doctors and nurses must wear gloves, they handle deadly germs everyday.
So just be educated and take the proper precautions. That way it will always be an enjoyable hobby for everyone.

I acctually already stopped going to the bathroom FYI

flower

http:///forum/post/3025778
I acctually already stopped going to the bathroom FYI

sooner or later its gonna happen...then you have to wash more than your hands!

P.S. Please ...wear gloves!

pezenfuego

Yes, polytoxin. Doctors can't treat that. Most won't even know what it is. Just don't touch your eyes. Zoas are among one of the most popular corals, and I have never heard of anyone dying from palytoxin. Still gloves are a good idea.

bill109

i heard a story where someone tried to boil the rock to kill the zoas on it because they didnt like them and the fumes and smoke caused him permanent lung damage.
also when you frag zoas, wear eye protection. they can squirt their toxin at you. have also heard that someone was fragging them, they decided to squirt and it got into his eye. he almost lost his eye..
lastly, they are currently using palytoxin to in the cancer research center because of its toxicity.
i heard this from a very experienced reef keeper

blazehok68

the other day i was ripping some shrooms off of a rock because the were growing over some zoos. of course i wasnt wearing any gloves, but i ended up scraping my middle finger on one of my rocks and having a little open cut. well a combination of the saltwater and the slime from the shrooms (which i think are poisonous) made my middle finger with the cut swell up pretty good. your body is pretty tough though. swelling went away within 3 days and cuts are healing nicely.
so my answer is yes.

there was an article where this man was fraggin his zoas and when he places them on the ground ontop of his towel, his dog came in and ate a small frag he thought nothing of it. he told his dog to leave, a couple minutes later when he walked into his kitchen the dog was dead.. there was another piece stating this man almost lost his eye when a zoa squirted while he was fraggin he was hospitalized and he was very very close to losing his eye sight he said he was down to like 10% visibility after a few hours of the squirt. those things like many other things in the sea have toxins to defend themselfs. but some do it in different ways.

flower

Originally Posted by fishstick4sale
http:///forum/post/3027097
there was an article where this man was fraggin his zoas and when he places them on the ground ontop of his towel, his dog came in and ate a small frag he thought nothing of it. he told his dog to leave, a couple minutes later when he walked into his kitchen the dog was dead.. there was another piece stating this man almost lost his eye when a zoa squirted while he was fraggin he was hospitalized and he was very very close to losing his eye sight he said he was down to like 10% visibility after a few hours of the squirt. those things like many other things in the sea have toxins to defend themselfs. but some do it in different ways.

Gottcha...goggles and gloves! Empty the room of pets, I bet he had a Golden retriever, they eat everything.
You may have saved a life or an eye today.

pezenfuego

The more we get into this hobby, the more our houses look like drug labs...
Just thought I'd point that out.

shaded light

i've never been stung by a coral or anemone, and have never worn gloves.
i have been stung my a foxface, which hurt.
if you hve an open sore on your hand i would use gloves or not touch the corals.