can eel get ick?

btieu

hi, i got a snowflake eel in my tank. and 3 of my tangs that is in the same tank have ick. at this moment all of my fishes are in the ht tank. and i was curious if the eel can get ick or not. if so, do you suggest that i put him in the same ht tank or a different one? any information would be helpful. thanks in advance.

oyam1

dont fear
the eel will jump out of the tank soon and die anyway.
and as for keeping 3 tangs in a 72.
they are so stressed they will probably not make it out of the QT, and if thet do they will soon be ill, or dead.
sorry, but thats the FAXXXX.

oyam1

BUT TRUE!
btieu looks like some one who cares about the fiah and the hobby.
just a wake-up call.
IMO most eel die of suicide jumps.
and 3 tangs in a small tank = stress.
just make some changes and keep having fun.
:happyfish

btieu

well geez oyam1..seem like you went thru this experience before?? i know most eel die from jumping out of fishtank. but what do you know about my fishtank?? you assume that i have an opening from my lids?? its seal nice and neatly. and 3 tangs in a 72 gallon consider small?? i dont know about that, but im pretty sure you might be right about it. beside, my tangs are not as big as you prolly think it is. they are only 2-4 inches. all introduced at the same time. and with alot of caves in my tank, they seem happy. thanks for your concern though.

oyam1

you may be ok for a bit longer.
most say no tangs in less than 100gal.
and no more than 1 unless over 150gal.
like i say the fact that you got a QT, and are doctering your fish says alot about you (good).
im just passing on some info i feel is right.
the way i did it was just to get you thinking.
your fish could live years, and if so 3 tang in a 72 will (should) not work.
good luck
:happyfish

beth

Administrator
Staff member
oyam1, if you want to give helpful advise based on what you know, then fine, but please don't take that tactic here. You could have certainly have given the heads-up about the eel without the drama and accusatorial tone. I'm sure you would not like it if I told you that your grouper was going to die because you didn't QT it before puting it in your tank with ich.
Now, lets just stay on topic here, which is btieu's eel and ich problem. We are all here to share and help, not be mean.
btieu, is your tank FO? Take a look at the FAQ Thread and the topics on Hyposalinty and Refractometers. If your fish have ich, then, as I told oyman in his thread, all fish are exposed and vulnerable. They should all be treated.

oyam1

i dont have a grouper or ich.....
and i hope i made it clear that i think beitu does care about his fish.
how do you feel about 3 tangs in a 72 for the long-run?
just something i feel beitu should think about.
sorry for getting off focus...:happyfish

drkdweller

dude you such an @$$
Why wouldnt 3 tangs be ok in a 72 you dont even know what 3 tangs he has. 2 yellows and a hippo would be ok. what fish do you have in your tank. If i see more than one fish that needs to be in a tank the same size you have then im going to give you ---- because because thats like saying ex. a hippo tang requires a 75 gallon tank a yellow tang requires a 75 gallon tank, because they both require a 75 gallon tank he can only put one of those fishes in. well if that was the case then he could only put one fish in his tank. any more would be to stressfull.
Hate ppl like you think you know everything. That your word is law. bull

[hr]
help out ppl here that have problems. Dont be
like the way you are. Dont assume ppl dont care about there fish.

btieu

beth, my tank is a reef setup. all of my fish are now in the ht tank to cure from ick. even though only 3 tangs have it. i just dont want to remove all of my live rocks and coral out again just to catch those fishes. and im pretty sure thats the best way to go.
oyman1....thanks for your rude way of helping me out. if i didnt care for my fishes, i wouldnt bother wasting my money and time setting up my tank. like what i told you, my tangs are small. but once they get big, i will get a bigger tank for them. please dont assume people.
drkdweller, thanks for sticking up to me...i have a purple, a hippo and a naso tang in my tank. with a flame angle, orchid dottyback, yellow wrasse, sleeper gold head goby, snow flake eel, and some cleaners. is that over populated?? if so, i can always give some of my fishes to someone else.
anyone is free to give me their expertise. but please dont put it in a rude manners. again, thanks!!

|2ain

umm, should you have an eel in a reef tank, and 75 gallons is not enough for a tang, 125 is min.

drkdweller

depends on the eel. sfe can be housed in a 30 as well as a chainlink moray. Lets face it the hobby is addiciting i started with a 20 then a 55 then a 75 and last a 29. Im sure he'll upgrade someday(we all did) and if he says his tangs are small and everyone is happy(thats the important one) then let them be.

btieu

12ain....you are absolutely right about the tangs. but as for now, these tangs that belong to me are fairly small. but once they get bigger, they will have a bigger home. and about the eel....i done some research. some say its reef safe, and others say use with caution. so in a way, i took a gamble at it. and eventually, its working fine for me. thanks for the tip 12ain. :)

oyam1

hey Drk I do know everything, like your an A$$$$$$$$$$$
go cook some fish.
btieu, please let us know if the fish make it.
good luck

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Look, lets not "preach" and berate. This is a BB not the pulpit. The set up is not ideal by most standards, but we all live and learn in this hobby. No one learns by shaming them publically. And, from my view, when someone does that, then they are more interested in showing up someone than in helping the hobbyist learn. If you wish to make a valid point about tank size and specimen choices, then it can be done in a way where the recipient of your view may actaully listen and learn, not get defensive. In any case, everyone quit the back and forth bickering. Lets stay on subject.
The only viable treatments for ich is hyposalinity and ich. Anything else is risk-taking. But, you have to decide what to do.

krowleey

Originally posted by |2AIN
umm, should you have an eel in a reef tank, and 75 gallons is not enough for a tang, 125 is min.

you keep thinking that

btieu

well....sorry that my question causing this conflict beth. didnt think it was going to get out of hand.
krowleey, what you mean by "you keep thinking that?" so are you agreeing or disagreeing with 12ain? just wanted to get your opinion. im fairly new to this reef aquarium. i accept any feedback that is offer.

krowleey

i disagree, i think you can have a tang in a 75 and not require a 125 thats a opinion. a yellow or blue would be fine in a 75 IMO i know ppl that have had thiers for many many years

btieu

oh cool, thanks for the info krowleey.
also, what is this brown rust looking thing that is on the aquarium glass? some people tell me its from leaving the light on too long. which i dont. is there anything i can do to get rid of it beside using the mag float? or is it natural? anyone?? thanks in advance.
update on my fishes: it been 3 days that my fishes are in the ht tank. ick is beginning to disappear. fishes still looking healthy. thank goodness.