Can I Add Live rock??? Pics

nrr15

I have Had this tank set up since January 07. Is it possible to add live rock now. at the time it was a little out of the budget with the new lights and such. I don't want to crash tank at all costs info and or opinions would be appreciated! Thanks.

jpnewreefe

What size is the tank and how much rock do you have now?
You only need about 1.5LBS per gal.
Anyway buy quality rock,and its ok to add 15-20LBS then wait 3-5weeks and add the next 15-20LBS and so on.

nrr15

The tank is 125gal. I now only have 15 pounds. Now you see why i want to add more. I have another tank to cure rock in but no light for it does it need light to cure? or just let nature take course. Does one brush the new rock clean first or leave it be? Thank you very much for your advice!
P.S. The rock in the tank is lava rock! only two pieces are live.

jpnewreefe

buy quality live rock.They sell cleaning kits but u can use a regular soft toothbrush.Buy what you can afford add about 20lbs at a time to your main tank.Shoot for 130-185Lbs of rock.

stanlalee

you can add cured rock bought locally (make sure its cured) or you'll have to cure any uncured or shipped rock in a seperate container/system before putting it in the tank. I added 25lbs of cured local rock months after my tank was up and running but I also only put in a piece per day and placed the rest in my saltwater mixing bin in saltwater with powerhead just to be safe (didn't want to add all 25lbs at once incase they lied and it wasn't cured. adding a little at a time and testing is more safe).

nrr15

Thanks Guys that was the answer i was looking for. I am in the proses of setting up a Ice Cap 660 and 4 T5VHO in addition to the 6 54wT5s i already have. as soon as i get that done i will start that project. I will update pics when i get then done.

benter

you can cure it without light separately to be safe..But I prefer to use a light if you have one , just in case you happen to get a light needing hitchhiker on your new rock...but definitely make sure it is cured before you put it in your DT...

nrr15

Just picked up 77lbs of live rock. It was in a box sitting on the floor of the LPS just got dropped off. Its Figi rock in the quarantine tank now.

renogaw

i would personally remove the lava rock when you put the new rock in. something about leaching bad chemicals and minerals into the water.

b bauer

Originally Posted by renogaw
i would personally remove the lava rock when you put the new rock in. something about leaching bad chemicals and minerals into the water.
do you remember where you saw this I have some in my tank and I cant find anything in the search posts.I want to know what to test for.thanks

reefkprz

Iron would be a good thing to test for, both chelated and non, most of the minerals lava rock can leach you wont have test kits for. its safer not to use it.

larryndana

Originally Posted by renogaw
agreed.
Also, live rock is cheaper online. but you also don't get to pick what pieces you like. For me, i just take it into my lfs and sell it to them if i don't like it. Last time i lost 10bucks for a little over 20lbs, oh well.

reefkprz

here is a break down of one type of lava rocks mineral content
Nitrate Nitrogen.................................4.0 p.p.m.
Phosphorus........................................6.0 p.p.m.
Potassium.........................................59.0 p.p.m.
Zinc.........................................................6 p.p.m.
Iron..................................................10.0+ p.p.m.
Copper...............................................5.5+ p.p.m.
Magnesium.......................................2.0+ p.p.m.
Boron.................................................10.0 p.p.m.
Sulfate.................................................7.0 p.p.m.
Organic Material...........................................5%
PH.........................................................8.2 Units
Calcium..................................1.3 Meq/100 gm*
Manganese...........................0.6 Meq/100 gm*
Sodium...................................0.1 Meq/100 gm*
Cation Exchange Capacity..3.2 Meq/100 gm*
* Milli-Equivalent per 100 grams
not stuff you want to introduce to your tank willingly.

nrr15

I have the new live rock curing in the qt tank still.
On the LAVA ROCK idea, where i live every pet store has there know-it-all people who will tell you completely different ways to do things. I will be the first to say that lava rock IMO was 80% of the reason i had a huge algae bloom after my tank started. Thanks reefkprZ
for your info on the rock i am in transformation mode now to get the rock changed out. WE all know LIVE ROCK ISN'T CHEAP!!!
ONE MORE QUESTION???
I tested my amonia levels after the first day of the rock in the QR tank and it was off the charts K. Then i cleaned the rocks again with a tooth brush did a 100% water change and 12 hours later it was at 2.5ppm am i aiming for Oppm or will a small reading be O.K.?

reefkprz

thats nice looking LR.
aim for zero ammonia, that will indicate that the LR is breaking down more waste than it is producing. if you add it with an ammonia reading still present it will be like adding waste to your tank, thats kind of an oversimplistic explination. but it wont bve benificial to add it while it is still producing ammonia, Ideally you should have no amm or trites before you add it as at that point it will be capable of maintaining a balanced nitrogen cycle, the cycle never ends it just balances. when it gets thrown off you get ammonia spikes or trites, this should never happen in an established tank, definatly something you want to avoid when you already have livestock, in an empty tank it wouldnt be an issue, but as you have livestock patience is key.

nrr15

Hey i had an idea to protein skim the qt tank to help remove some of the waste between water changes. good idea? bad idea?

oyam1

Curing rock, skimmer and heat and flow are key.
Light if you are curing, dark if your cooking it.