Can I Add Live rock??? Pics

nrr15

thanks Lesley i kinda did that a long time ago this thread has been going for a while.
Check out my calcium reactor question i am really excited to hear from you guys about it!
Hey by the way i am looking in to a few diffrent kinds of calcium reactors. Has anyone used the Corallife ones, or tunze, or Koralin (i think thats what it was called) if so witch one is better?

hefner413

Originally Posted by stdreb27
I'm assuming you used petroleum jelly on the outside of your tank? Wipe off the excess. Then get a microfiber cloth, spray some glass cleaner on the cloth and wipe the tank down. microfiber does a really good job and getting off grease and oils and stuff from glass.
What's the jelly used for? to help the background stick?

nrr15

Yes if you take petroleum jelly and wipe it all over the glass (pretty thick) then apply the background it makes a solid contact with the glass making the color be very vibrant. I looks neat i guess but i would like to tone down the light refection in my living room.

hefner413

Originally Posted by NRR15
Yes if you take petroleum jelly and wipe it all over the glass (pretty thick) then apply the background it makes a solid contact with the glass making the color be very vibrant. I looks neat i guess but i would like to tone down the light refection in my living room.
So are you going to change it to black or something?

hefner413

not really... yeah, black would make sense. Really, the only other thing you could do would get block it by getting a bunch more rock, but that would be a ton of rock and you might not like that look. Whatever you do - gotta post a before and after pic.
The nice thing about just changing it to a black background.. you can always change it back if you don't like it.

nrr15

I am still trying to figure out what microfiber cloth is used for do i can find some! If you know let me know thanks!

hefner413

you mean like microfiber cloth used to clean sensitive surfaces? Most places have some in the eye glasses area - they use microfiber cloths to clean glasses. Is that what you mean?

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by Mikeyjer
Did you paint it??? I actually like the blue background!

Nothing you can do but to scrape it off the glass with a razor or a scraper, at least get a part started first with razor blade, then start scraping. I would get a spray bottle too and spray the back before you start scraping, that way you keep the paint in clumps instead of million pieces, it's like spray and scrape...

That's why I buy those background covers instead of painting it in case I get tired of it...I went with black on mine, it make sense to me since it make things pop out better, but it really dims the tank as well. With the Blue background, it really make it look bright and pretty...With that in mind, I might hit the store for a blue background....

I got an idea when I was planning my reef setup so I gave it a try. I knew that once the tank was in place I wasn't about to remove it for anything, so I had a guy from a local auto body shop come over and apply 20% (allows 80% of light through) smoke gray window tint to the sides and back. doing it this way I've added the impression of depth looking through the tint to the blue painted walls behind. If I want to change colors, I repaint the walls, not the tank and I don't have to contend with salt getting between the glass and the stick-on background.

C

calvertbill

Originally Posted by NRR15
I am still trying to figure out what microfiber cloth is used for do i can find some! If you know let me know thanks!
I just bought a packet of 25 cloths (a little larger than face cloth size) at a BJs for $9.95.

nrr15

Thats a good idea bill. The way that you applied your background is the theory behind mine (not letting salt leach) and getting the vibrant color from the background. I think i might go that rout. Sorry im still not familiar with were to get microfiber cloth. There is no BJ's here in Yakima WA. Is it a car cleaning rag, or a material from a sewing store or what?