can i do hypo with established sand in tank?

reefjunkiee

Originally Posted by Beth
http:///forum/post/3164284
I can't decide for you about whether to get rid of the mandarin.
As I said, they have natural immunity, and most likely yours will not have ich. If it does get ich, you will know it within a couple of weeks, which is why I have told you to keep daily watch on the mandarin to see if you see ich. In the meantime, your other fish are in treatment, and you will know about the mandarin way before the other fish return.
The ich will not hide on the mandarin waiting for an opportune moment. If by some rare chance, this mandarin gets ich, then you will know it and be able to deal with it before your other fish are ready to return to the display. I have yet to ever see a mandarin with ich, though.
Have you ever seen ich on this mandarin? If not, then why do you think you will see it now?
i asked because some people are saying it may be resistant but some of the parasite will go into his gills, and you will not know and reinfest the tank. i have never seen anyone with proof that a mandarin had ich ever..

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Do you have the means to QT the mandarin then since you seem pretty worried? You will need to have the means to supply the mandarin with copepods during QT.
You can try this, which will extend your fishs' stay in QT. Just return one fish to the display following hypo. Wait three weeks to see if you don't notice a problem then move the other fish to display if all is clear.

nuro

im not sure if it helps but i have a mandarin that suvived and ick outbreak that killed the rest of my fish. i waited a coupel monthes before adding new fish to the tank whiel the mandirin was still in there, sure enough no more ich

nuro

im not sure if it helps but i have a mandarin that suvived and ick outbreak that killed the rest of my fish. i waited a coupel monthes before adding new fish to the tank whiel the mandirin was still in there, sure enough no more ich

reefjunkiee

that does help, i have now heard several people that did the same thing. i think i will keep him in the tank because i dont have a second QT tank just the 56 gallon. i guess this will be a great test for others to follow as well and maybe take some of the worry out for others.

al mc

Nothing is 100% in this hobby but if you keep the mandarin I would feel confident that he will not harbor Ich while staying with the LR in your DT.
Your other alternative **IF** he is eating frozen mysis/brine shrimp, you could put him in hypo. While many feel he will not meet all his nutritional needs with the frozen foods he should be OK on the frozen food for 4 weeks.

reefjunkiee

my test kit shows under .25 of ammonia, i did a large water change but its still there. i am also using prime, does prime work to keep it non toxic? what else can i do my fish are doing great minus this.

reefjunkiee

well after battling ammonia spikes, i removed the sand bed and went with barebottom. the only fish i lost was my royal gramma, but he got his a$$ handed to him by the purple dotty which i got rid of. my tangs seems fine which is my major concern and of course my little clown i love those two. i went out and bought a whisper ex 70 powerfilter and a whisper 40 to gowith my marineland so i have all three of those on my tank. i also added bioballs to give some more help along with a ammonia badge. i am ready to do daily water changes, as i was with the die off from my sand bed. hope i made the right choice, at least i', ready to go with copper if this hypo fails, which after 5 days my blue tang still has white spots.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Why did you remove the sandbed??

The spikes are due to the lack of natural filters removed from your system (live rock) not the sandbed. The easiest fix would have been to add back a couple small pieces of sacrificial live rock, or some rubble rock.

reefjunkiee

i had a billion worms in the sand, which were decaying. my water was foul looking and cloudy, and i could not get the ammonia down, i feared for my fishes safety.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Were they fireworms? You didn't have a DSB did you? Are you keeping the sand cycled then else where?

reefjunkiee

http:///forum/post/3167849
Were they fireworms? You didn't have a DSB did you? Are you keeping the sand cycled then else where?

im not sure what kind they were but i have TONS. no i didnt have a DSB but it was a few inches, and i tossed the sand out. this tank is now a full time QT/hospital tank.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Sorry to hear that. Usually, there is not a problem with sandbeds and hypo. Even fireworms will frequently survive hypo, though not all will, naturally. However, it sounds like your sandbed had well-established populations of sandbed micro-inverts.
Having a permanent QT is a decision you will not regret, believe me.

reefjunkiee

http:///forum/post/3167968
Sorry to hear that. Usually, there is not a problem with sandbeds and hypo. Even fireworms will frequently survive hypo, though not all will, naturally. However, it sounds like your sandbed had well-established populations of sandbed micro-inverts.
Having a permanent QT is a decision you will not regret, believe me.

i do believe you, and in fact im glad i made the move. this tank will remain in operation and cycled for future additions.

reefjunkiee

I am happy to report, hypo finished fish back in DT and ich is destroyed. I lost one fish (royal gramma) but that was due to a purple dotty beatin him down. blue tang, yellow tang, Kole tang, clown pair, 5 chromis, watchman goby and a B cardinal all good and lovin the 125. i kept my 30 gallon set up as perm QT, it's so very nice having no ich.