can i do this?

kev.1979

my canister filter is leaking too bad to continue using it. i have a 72 gallon with 75lbs liverock, 2 chromis, clown. How long will my tank be ok until i can get a new filter?

dragonzim

Do you have any powerheads or anything else providing any water flow? Provided your tank has been up for a while your live rock should be providing all the biological filtration that you need.

kev.1979

i have two 1200 powerheads and a skimmer. tank has been set up since last november. How long will it be ok like this. do i really need a filter.

sickboy

I'm no expert, but I think you should be fine for a while. I've read of people only using a skimmer and live rock, no filter.

mr_x

you will be fine indefinitely. i would buy another powerhead to increase flow though, but to answer your question, no. you don't need a cannister filter.

happygirl

I have a 55 gallon, no sump. 70 Pounds live rock, and flow equal to 50-60 times. I had a HOT magnum for a long time, and it was hard to get myself to throw it out, but I did. My tank looks way better now, no bubbles from the discharge, and no worries that I'm harboring anything in the cannister. I also have an Octopus HB-300F. Go for it, you have planty of natural filtration, you will be fine. I do suggest a skimmer.

kev.1979

thanks for all the help! i'm geeting rid of this canister and i think i will sleep a little better knowing my house isn't gonna be flooded when i wake up!