can some 1 tell me what this is

It looks like a baby anenome, It has a pink body w/ a green band around the tip of the main body. the tinicals are clear with a white tip. they are about as round as a nickel but one of them is about a quarter. now i have about 5 of these in my tank. I have pepperment shrimp in there and the seem like they sting them cause they jitter and move away quickly. sorry for the poor photo but i had to use a magnifing glass to help. the camera sucks for tank photos.
mike

bang guy

I see the pink organism in the middle. I really can't tell from the pic. It could be a baby Aiptasia or a Carribean mushroom of some type. Or one of another few dozen animals ;)

justinx

Ok, now for some strange reason I can all of a sudden see what it is that is being referred to. And If I am guessing correctly based on picture and description, it looks to be similar to what I have in my tank. Are there little tentacles coming off the body? Are there white tips on the ends? Is there a slit for a mouth? If so, then yes my friend, you have the same problem that I have. Glass anemones. They reproduce quite readily in a tank, and pack a nasty litte punc if they touch corals. And to make matters worse, thet can move.
If anyone has any ideas on what to do about these things let me know. I have about a dozen in my tank that dont really cause a problem, but I would really like them gone. And unfortuantely taking out the rock and scrubbing is a no go.
Justin

justinx

I just re-read your post and you answered all my questions. Yes, you have glass anemones, as do I. I dont know what to do about them either.
Justin

michaeltx

I have a caribean calimorph(SP?) mushroom that looks identical to the fuzzy pic LOL
the tenticals are clear and retract all that good stuff.
is it pulled in during the day and out at night?
Mike

waterdog

If you want to get rid of them, stab them with hot kalkwasser paste. Just do a search here for glass anemonies. There are like 5 million posts on them and how to get rid of them. I have found that getting them with very high kalkwasser doses "melts" them and the peppermints take care of the rest.

bang guy

Is it one of these?
Pseudocorynactis sp. aka Strawberry Mushrooms

Astrangia sp.

Aiptasia sp. (about to be eaten by a Nudibranch)

bdhough

Anyway to control the Psuedo's Bang Guy???
Are they as bad as aptasia. I think they are kind of neat. Definitely different. I know they tend to grow in shady spots as well.

bang guy

Pseudocorynactis are harmless unless you're a piece of detritus or an uncoordinated pod. I wouldn't worry about them at all.

Thanks evryone that is what they are. Sorry about the pic it was real crapy but I think I know what they are now. I do have 4 peppermints in there to kill the aptasia so hopefully they will take care if those too. thanks for all the replies. here is the whole setup.
Bang guy should I get a Nudibranch. What I have in the tank looks just tike the one in the photo with the caption "Aiptasia sp. (about to be eaten by a Nudibranch)"
mike

bang guy

Originally posted by mr.flameangel
Bang guy should I get a Nudibranch.

I would caution against it. It may or may not work. What usually happens is the Nudi gets caught in the current and is then sucked into a powerhead or an overflow.
These creatures have a neutral buoyancy and ride the currents to change locations in the wild.