Can someone ID this?

bugmanjp

Would someone be familiar with this "thing"?
Don't know if plant animal or mineral but it likes pieces of shrimp...
Thanks

dhraako

I wouldn't hold it to being that..but I'm not to sure what it could be either though
Aiptasia usually has much thinner tenticles..longer too..and not normally that coloration..maybe someone can give you an id though...neet lookin thing
and hey if it spreads all over your tank and begins over growing everything..well then I'm wrong...but I'd just watch it..make sure it doesn't begin to do this

T

thomas712

Greetings, welcome to the board

Excellent photo
Near as my information gets to what you have is that I find its similar to the Phymanthus species of anemone. I saw a pretty good pic of something similar to what you have. Exact name of what you have? I do not know.
I would get rid of it if it were me.
Thomas

Originally posted by Bang Guy
Aiptasia sp.

You sure? What about the bands around the tentacles?

bang guy

I can only see tentacles on the rim and none on the oral disk. Perhaps some would be visible at a different camera angle but I'm pretty sure. Sure enough to recommend removing it.

T

thomas712

Here is a pic that I have borrowed from somewhere else that comes close to what you have. At least closest one I could find in my library of web information.

bugmanjp

Thanks to all who've responded -- and here we were feeding the little fellow! I've jumped over to the 'everything you wanted to know about aiptasia' thread and it looks like I need to pay more attention to things!