can someone simplify?

can someone simplifythe salt water world for me?
like the freshwater good filters algea eater and your good with regular maintance. what do i need to have to make it as eazy as posible to maintain. i have a 35 gal tank.

jacknjill

Well the thing is, saltwater tanks are rarely "easy" to maintain. Even when you have your tank where you want it and are ready to just let it sit and grow, you still have to keep up with water changes, cleaning, water testing, salt levels, bulbs, and if you have corals, most likely you will have to move them around or trim them to accomodate growth. Ive had both and I think saltwater tanks will always take more maintenence.

jacknjill

ps, if its the cleaning you're trying to cut down on, then a good cleaning crew of snails and hermits may help.

al mc

Originally Posted by tattoofishguy
http:///forum/post/3230835
like the freshwater good filters algea eater and your good with regular maintance. what do i need to have to make it as eazy as posible to maintain. i have a 35 gal tank.

More information needed. If you are going to have a reef tank it takes more time/maintenace than a Fish only tank.
IMHO, in general, freshwater keeping requires less time/money than saltwater.

bang guy

In my opinion no saltwater tanks smaller than 100 gallons are easy. In my experience it takes 10X more time to maintain a 35 gallon tank than a 200 gallon.
That said, firsttry to figure out what you would like to keep. Heartier, smaller, docile fish are easier to keep that about anything else. Once you get into a reef the time and expense increases if you want to do it right.
Principles are - stable water conditions, lots of waterflow. In my opinion a 1/2" sandbed plus a skimmer will take care of all of your filtration requirements.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/3230865
In my opinion no saltwater tanks smaller than 100 gallons are easy. In my experience it takes 10X more time to maintain a 35 gallon tank than a 200 gallon.
This was one of the 1st bits of advice I got when I first got into SW; quite a while back. I specifically recall "1 drop of poison is a whole lot deadlier in 20 gallons of water than in 100". You can apply this logic to a zillion situations.I think it is still true and not emphasized often enough. Perhaps the "Nano" craze has something to do with it.
To the OP---I'd read a good SW book, like Bob Fenner's "The Conscience Marine Aquarist" from cover to cover; then ask a lot of questions as you move ahead. Also, IMO, avoid getting advice from big box pet retailers.
This isn't a slap, just an observation: if you are looking at keeping something "as easy as possible"; this may not be a good hobby/addiction for you. Simple=quick=disaster

J

jstdv8

It's whatever you like, personally i don't like reading books that arent suspensefull but you can also get just about any info for getting started from the sticky posts at the top of each forum here. Theres days worth of reading there. Then if you have individual questions come back to the beginners forum and ask specifics. Or you could just keep asking questions here :p
Just do get alot of info so you don't jump in blind. There is a fair amount that goes into all of this from filtration to cycling to tankmates getting along.
Everything changes depending on what you want to keep in your tank so start with that and we will help out as needed :)
good luck!

beaslbob

Originally Posted by tattoofishguy
http:///forum/post/3230835

I just use macro alage to maintain the tank.
If you do not have sps corals and most especially if you have a FO or FOWLR tank, macros are basically all you need. But for delicate sps corals there is more work required.
my .02

dockery07

IMO - the larger the tank the easier it is to maintain and it is a lot more forgiving. Which is why my 29 gallon cube is sitting here empty

deejeff442

thats easy to answer it takes alot of cash .
no matter how many questions you ask you will always get different answers.you will get basics but it will still take alot of cash to learn this hobby.we have all lost our share of livestock and it adds up pretty fast.
in reality the more cash you invest via lr,lights,skimmer,r/o system etc.
the easier it is to keep everything alive .the advances in equiptment these days is amazing but it will cost ya.you can easilly invest the same amount of money into a 35 gallon as you would a 200 gallon.