Can you ever get rid of ICH!

beth

Administrator
Staff member
What type of tank setup do you have? Reef, Live rock, inverts? It may be possible to treat in tank depending on your tank setup.

mavgi

i am sorry beth i think that there is big misunderstand here i will try to explain:
first i don't have any problem with my fish or in my tank.
the first post was made by the member : kaseykagan and he ask " if there is option to get rid from ich forever"........
i post him back that he can get rid from ich but there is nothing like that forever becuase if in the future if water parm changed ich or disease can show up again (like the case with high temp...)
you post :
If the hobbyist QTs their fish appropriately, treating ich as it arises in the QT, then a display need never ever have ich. And that's a fact you can bet on.
in the past i have a case of high temp 86 degree and the fish get stress ich show up i did not add any fish or other invert and my fish was healthy.
becuase of that i ask if you sure in 100% that you can get rid from ich forever.....
the reason i ask you all this question and give all the sample in the other post before was that i don't want the members can think if they treat correct ich (as all the treatment should be)
ich can't never show up again ..... if the water quality get bad like high amonia or high nitrate or high temp fish can get stress and ich or other disease can show up and it's can't be like the member ask forever........

scubadoo

The only proven additive that is effective in combatting ich is copper. Most aquarist that use these so-called miracle cures draw coorealtions...I added the voodoo mixture and my fish got better. ...therfore this stuff works.
Many conditions can contribute to disease outbreak if present in the system. Improve on these condtions and the disease may subside. The aquarist may be unaware that this is what contributed to the treatment short-term success...and not the so-called witches brew.
Based on known studies and science today.....how can one additive kill one invert and leave all others alone? It defies logic based on proven science. Also, many of these manufacturers also produce copper based treatments...if these so-called miracle cures work why do they produce the copper based treatments?
If you beleive in these so-called miracle cures calll up the manufacturer(s) and ask them the ingredient(s) that kills ich while leaving all other inverts alone...or their studies that support the claims.
This garbage is nothing more then colored water with some slime coat additive.

sunny

Beth,
I you have ich in your display tank. Should you take all the fish out and put them into a QT? Or should you treat your fish in the display tank and take out all inverts and place them in the QT?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Depends on your situation. I would not across the board recommend either. If a hobbyist has a fully cycled QT that accommodate all the fish for a month, then move to QT could be a viable option. However, if the hobbyist has 20 fish and is going to setup an emergency QT, it may be better to move LR and inverts to QT or a rubbermaid. With a reef tank, however, you really don't have too much choices.

jer4916

Easy way to prevent ich or remove it from your tank.
First QT all new fish for 30 days to make sure they are 100% rid of ich.
2. run your main tank with a UV ...it will keep the water clean...
3. keep your salinity low...but not in hypo..it wont hurt your corals or your fish..and ich/parasites HATE it...
ich should not be a problem if you follow those steps...
again if you keep good water quality..your fish should never get ich...and if they do....remember crap happens..its a fish..it sucks...but its not worth loosing sleep over... you can always buy more! :)
~Chris

sleasia

Beth.....I just went over to rainforest cafe and begged to talk to the woman who maintains their beautiful fo no live rock huge tanks. Interesting info. They qt all fish for 30 days before putting them in the tank. They use freshwater dips then put them in qt and treat with either hypo or copper (which is what you've been saying all along). Ofentimes they also treat each fish sequentially during the 30 day qt with other antibiotics and meds. the person I talked to also stated that ich likes water temps from 78-80 so to help prevent ich from flourishing in the tanks they keep the water at 75 degrees. I have a blue face angel which has no signs of ich but I was suspicious of it because it had been darting a bit...I figure It had ich in the gills or somewhere I could not see it....so I lowered the temp of my tank from 78 to 75. It has been almost a full week now and the blue face angel is doing fine, hiding less frequently and eating more and not darting around.....However, I have a uv and a chiller, so lowering temperature to a tight range is no problem....my other fish are also fine and ich free...they include 4 false percula clowns, 1 bangaii cardinal, 1 spotted puffer, 2 cleaner wrasses, and three chromis and the blue face angel....(jeuvenile)...I also have blueleg hermits, turbo snails and three sea stars (orange linkia, red general, and chocolate chip) which are all doing fine. nitrite 0 nitrate 0 ph 8.3, salinity 1.024 temp 75..... Beth...do you know anything about this? is it safe to keep the tank at 75 indefinately? does it help ? Thanks

diane4

I sometimes wonder if ich lays dormat in live rock. It seems that people either love live rock or despise it. In my saltwater mostly fish tank, (I have 3 pieces of live rock in it for appearance and for something to hide behind and pick at. But sometimes, I wonder, if you are doing fish only, I think not having rock in it reduces the chances, in addtion to good water quality and stable temps.
I know with the weather change, you have to double check the temps of your tanks. A suddent drop unoticed in your tank can make them sick.
My question is, once you have eliminated ich from your tank and it has been more than the 30+ days since it has been around, and if you have not introduced any new fish or animals - then how can fish ever develop ich again. Is it fair to say, that it is impossible for a fish to get ich if ich has been completely cleaned out of the tank (which I did for 6 weeks to be sure) and you never introduce a new animal without QT, and keep params stable and clean - is it safe to say, you can't possibly get ich.
Even if someone never added any new fish or animals and they let their water depreciate somewhat, how could stress or poor water quality do anything to the fish other than reduce it's imune and create stress. If ich isn't present int he tank, it can't invade - right?
I defer that question to Beth, since Beth was a godsend in helping me battle ich in the first month I had a saltwater tank. Beth, I have never forgotten your help and will always be appreciative of your help at that time. Your the best

beth

Administrator
Staff member
sleasia, it is fine to keep the aquarium at 75 as long as your animals are comfortable. Most inverts need it a tad warmer. And that temp really isn't going to prevent ich either.
I never recommend so many prophylactic treatments with meds for fish who are asymptomatic. If hobbyists want to perform hypo prophylactically, that is fine, but not copper and antibiotics.

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Ich is a parasite and needs fish tissue to complete its life cycle [which is 23 days] and to feed off of. So, in the absence of fish, ich has no means to survive. It is like a flee. If you put a flee in a jar and don't give it blood, it will die. LR can not provide ich with all of its needs, so it can not support its life.

guitarfish

I'm late to this thread, but have been a member here on these boards for a few years, and will say this right off the bat: I haven't come across anyone online who has treated more fish (successfully) for ich then Beth. Everything I have ever read that Beth has written about ich is true.
Proof? I have a 75g reef tank that has been ICH FREE for a year now. In the same room I have a 20g QT tank, with fish in it right now that have ich. When those fish are cleaned, via hyposalinity, then they will get a passport to the big tank.
There was a time when people thought maggots and flies grew out of rotting meat. Heh heh heh. Now we know better. Ich isn't ever-present, and it doesn't come out of thin air (or should I say thin water?) The only way it can get in your tank is if YOU PUT IT THERE.
Although only fish can actually be infected with ich, the cysts can attach to live rock, sand, snail shells, etc. I had a situation where a bag of macroalgae was pulled from an ich infested tank, and when that macroalgae was put in a clean tank, the tank became infected. So, if it's WET, QT IT!

clownfish4

yes but they will all was have it, I know this might be strange but when they get stresd out the ich will apper so when they are not stresed out it is not a problem.

guitarfish

Fish cannot get infected with the ich parasite if ich isn't in the tank. It doesn't matter how stressed out they are. This isn't someone's opinion, it's well-documented science.

buzzword

Beth, I had a tang die of Ich about 7 weeks ago, no other fish had it. I waited 6 weeks with none of my fish showing any signs of ich. I added another tang 10 days ago who came down with ich. This fish was at my lfs in copper for 3 weeks and then held for me for another 2 weeks and showed no signs of ich when I got him. Could the ich have still been in my system? Could it have been with the new tang? Will my system always have ich if I cannot get all of my fish out and treated? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am struggling to keep him alive right now and really don't want to loose him.
Thanks

sleasia

Beth...sorry to be late to reply. Thanks for the information. I think I will have to raise the temp a bit. I have inverts. Though none of my fish have ich (visible) and the angel is now acting fine and not jerking about anymore infrequently when it swims. I lost my red general starfish the other day though and have no clue why unless like you say it was the temperature. I have had my tank at 75 degrees for two weeks now. one of his legs began getting whiter, then another so i put him in the qt tank, but unfortunately two days later he died and disintegrated. the other two sea stars (orange linkia and chocolate chip) are fine. the water conditions were ph 8.3, sp gravitiy 1.024 temp 75 nitrites 0 nitrates 0 calcium was in the 400 range.. It might have been related to the fact that I had topped of with r/o water without any salt in it, (usually I add at least a little salt to my top off water) and perhaps the plain water was blowing directly onto the red general from one of the returns...I'm not sure, but I am now trickling my top off water into my sump (which is what I usually do, but for some reason I didn't this time) I also have snails and blue leg hermits which did not seem affected. Darn! I really love those sea stars.