Can you go without mechanical filtration?

oceanic110

How many of you do not have a mechanical filtration (canister, wet/dry,etc.)? If not what means do you have(Live Rock, Weekly water changes, etc)?

nas19320

Most of my filtration comes from my LR and skimmer with water changes but I do have a small HOB filter to run carbon, and other media's, most of the time it is empty though and jsut serves as extra circulation.

beaslbob

My fresh tanks have no mechanical filtration, no circulation, and no water changes. Just the tank, sand plants, fish, and light. Works great. The idea is the plants do all the filtering.
I do have a refugium and tetratec on my 55g salt. the fuge has a filter box and pump. Hope to get rid of the tetra some time. Again no water changes and lotsa plants.
I only use un treated tap water straight from the faucet.

corky

90 g. reef with a skimmer, 5 powerheads, 120 lbs. rock, 5-6" live sandbed. 15 - 20 % water change about every 5 weeks.

pbuck

I do not have any mechanical filtration. I use a refugium, with an ETSS skimmer, and the occasional carbon.

80 gallon reef, no mechanical filtration or skimmer. About 100 lbs live rock, and a 15 gallon refugium with lots of sand and algae.