Can you ID these Gobies?

mag395

I caught these in a minnow trap behind my house. I have no idea what they are and can't seem to find an ID anywhere. Anyone know what they are?

travis89

Looks loke it might be a shrimpgoby(pink & blue to be exact). Look at the picture this site has to see if thats what you think since you can see the goby in person.

zanski

I think shrimp goby too, def. not a clown goby IMO. Wish i could catch fish like that in my back yard lol... I want to move to florida so bad. do you live on a canal, or on the beach?

celacanthr

It's highly unlikely that it is either of those gobies since the gobies pictured were collected in Florida waters, whereas the other gobies are found elsewhere (Indo-pacific, indian ocean, etc).
I have no clue what it is! How big are they? Can you describe their behavior? Are they sifting sand? They shoudl be fine, but my only worry is that they may be specialized feeders (like mandarinfish), or that they need cooler water than your tank. What temp is the water were you collected them from?Have you seen them eat anything yet? are you on the atlantic, or gulf side of florida?
Any information would be useful.
-CELA

connor

Originally Posted by Travis89
Looks loke it might be a shrimpgoby(pink & blue to be exact). Look at the picture this site has to see if thats what you think since you can see the goby in person.
DEFANITLY not i have a pink and blue shrimp goby and looks nothing like it

emperor11

Its obviously some kind of predatory brackish water goby, I'm just not sure of the exact species. It kind of looks like its in your saltwater aquarium?! :scared:

celacanthr

Originally Posted by Emperor11
Its obviously some kind of predatory brackish water goby, I'm just not sure of the exact species. It kind of looks like its in your saltwater aquarium?! :scared:
I am not sure about that, since I have a very similair species in my aquarium, that definantly came from the florida keys.

emperor11

Originally Posted by CELACANTHr
I am not sure about that, since I have a very similair species in my aquarium, that definantly came from the florida keys.
Really? Hmm...very interesting. I just came up with my guess, because a friend of mine, had a brackish species, that looks similar, though not exact to that fish. And, it was indeed predatory.

glowplug

Have you tested the water behind your house? Just curious as to what it comes out of. Cool your lfs in really in the back yard!

mag395

I live on an intercoastal canal on the Atlantic side of FL.
They are predatory. I dropped a baby shrimp that I caught behind the house and it snatched it up in about 2 secs. I've been feeding them small pieces of jumbo shrimp.
They don't sift sand through their gills, but one of them uses its tail to move it around alot.
The one is about 3.5 inches and the one with the yellow dorsal is < 1 inch
I'm not sure of the temp outside, I imagine it jumps around b/c of the tide and the sun. I want to do a water test on it, see what comes out. I have a feeling it will have extremely high nitrates.
It is in my saltwater aquarium. I started another one so I can put canal fish in it and learn about what's in there. So far, I've caught small pompano's, shrimp, gobies, lots of figure 8 puffers, snappers, a snook, what I think was a ghost eel, blue crabs, fiddler crabs, catfish, a toadfish, a remora, and 6 bull sharks. Definately won't be going swimming in there. :scared:
Thanks, Dogstar, I'll look through that.

mag395

Ok, I found the small one. Lophogobius cyprinoides
The larger one with more color still eludes me. I went through dogstars list and noting looked like it. I also looked at the swf shrimpgobies and I don't think it's any of them. The blue spot shrimpgoby is the closest body type wise, but it doesn't have that many blue spots and didn't come from the Indian Ocean.

stanlalee

Originally Posted by OMGsaltwat
I agree... jmo

two people with poor eye sight lol

i guess it does have a few simularities like the dorsal fin

mag395

I tested the water behind my house and to my surprise it was perfect. Nitrite 0, Nitrate 0, Amm 0, Ph 8.2, Alk ~250. Guess you can't beat God.