Can you stain an old deck with out major sanding?

biggredd

I have my house for sale now and have an old deck. The wood looks obviously worn. If I were to stain it would I need to do major sanding on it or could I just rinse it off and stain it with a decent outcome? Deck is probably 10x20', no rails.

soto

since you're selling, you shouldn't shortcut anything that could affect the appearance. it's been a buyer's market, buyers usually buy on emotion, and details in certain appearances are a big play on emotions. Fire up the sander Red & get grindin.

biggredd

Figured that would be the answer. Good a time as any to go and get a new belt for the sander and get grindin.

biggredd

Just a high powered water spray will clean it up? The wood is not rotted, just aged looking and very brown, not yellow and nice like it should be.

bigarn

Depending on what size nozzle you use it will take it down to bare wood if you want. I've done it myself and was amazed at the results. You can always rent a good one to.

lovethesea

Originally Posted by bigarn
Or you can powerwash it first .... faster, easier and neater than sanding IMO.

ditto and make sure its good and dry before you stain/seal it.
you will be amazed how much it will clean it up.

biggredd

Sounds like a lot easier to power wash than get down and dirty with a sander. The deck isn't terrible, just doesn't look new. Maybe I'll call Home depot or a local rent shop and see what's up.
Thanks.
also, how long do you think an open container of stain will last? I've lived at my house for 3 years and the guy that owned it before me left quite a few partially used containers of stain around. Think they are any good for saving a few bucks?

reckler

the only thing I didn't like about power washing is all the paint chips you have to clean up when your done.

gen1dustin

Yeah I would use a pressure washer instead. If you don't own one see if you can borrow a buddy's or some places rent them out.

tangwhispr

Behr. makes a few products that work pretty well, you apply them before pressure washing...they have them at HD, menards, etc

uk cats

Hey Biggredd, I recently had the same issue except for we wasnt selling. I have a deck thats about 30x15 and hasnt been touched in years and I finally wanted to try to restore it. This is what I did and it came out great got alot of compliments from neighbors. I first pressure washed the deck removing as much build up as I could. Then take some outdoor bleach (I think it was made by clorox) and scrubed the deck real good esspecially the areas where mildew was. Then rinsed the deck off real good. If you have plants close be careful and cover them up. I then let the deck dry then put my stain on. I use what someone already mention (Behr). Turn out pretty well. Good Luck

biggredd

Sweet! I'll see if any buddies have a power washer and go spend a few bucks on stain and bleach. I'll take before and after pics.

bigarn

Originally Posted by Phixer
Or you could install vinyl cladding over the wood and never paint or stain again.
He's moving ......