can zooxanthellae die?

pwnag3!!

Can a coral lose its zooxanthellae?
i mean... the coral flesh is still remaining the floresceing part is jsut gone.

robchuck

Originally posted by pwnag3!!
Can a coral lose its zooxanthellae?
i mean... the coral flesh is still remaining the floresceing part is jsut gone.

That's what happens when a coral bleaches.

bang guy

FYI - Zooxanthellae are brown, they don't flouresce.
Some corals produce flourescing proteins for various reasons.

dburr

What type of coral is this? SPS? They can expel the zooxanthellae if it is stressed out like with a heat issue. It can also come back if the surroundings return to normal.
Did anything happen to your tank to stress it out?

zonut

corals start expelling zooanthella at 74-78 degrees farhenheit. and they replace them when water is optimal again, it is a symbiotic parasitic relationship. Sounds to me tho like rob was stating you just have a bleaching, is it new coral high in the tank? you can burn them as well. It also may need more light, it depends on the type of corals what watts per gallon you have for the lighting. lots of variables to consider. could also be a neighbor sweeping it.

dburr

corals start expelling zooanthella at 74-78 degrees farhenheit.
Where did you get your info from? Their are some reefs that go to the mid 60's for temp.

zonut

not lowest tollerable depth for the animal but any coral regardless of being equatorial in range or being near freezing temperature bottom dwelling corals once any coral is in water over 75 degrees or so it starts expelling its zooanthallae as a response to the temperature. I am aware that coral can exist at temperatures below that. But be honest how many of you guys have benthic deepwater corals that thrive in 35 degrees. id venture none of you. i made the statement without clarifying because i thought it would be implied these are corals living at no lower than 200 feet and are more than likely softies since he used the term flesh.

pwnag3!!

Originally posted by zonut
and are more than likely softies since he used the term flesh.

LPS have flesh also

bang guy

Flourescing has a lot more to do with lighting than zooxanthellae.
I'm totally confused about the statement of corals expelling Zooxanthellae above 75. That's just hogwash. The typical tropical coral can't even grow below 75.
I've seen tons of Anemone in 90+ degree water with plenty of Zooxanthellae and tomes of Anemone in 40 degree water with plenty of zooxanthellae.
All were in knee-deep water.
Where are you getting these numbers Zonut?

zonut

yes its true they can live in that temp. and they still take advantage of the relationship at that temp, but at over 75 degrees they start shedding zooanthellae from themselves. But yes color doesnt have alot to do with zooanthellae. As far as where i found that info , i have read it lots of places. There is only actually like a 2 degree zone where corals arent constantly expelling zooanthellae, + or - that area and its a constantly unstable envinroment for the microalgae. Luckily tho there is so much of it we would never know the difference.
He asked is it possible for zooanthellae to die and the answer is yes and its also possible for it to shed it for any number of stresses wether it be lighting changes, stinging neighbors water quality and temperature fluctuations etc etc. water.
And just because a coral is growing in knee deep water in the reef zones of the equator and the water is 90 degrees doesnt mean its not expelling zooanthellae at the time.

bang guy

Perhaps there's a mis-communication here and I'm not understanding your statement.
What would be the result in your scenario, let's say where the temperature almost never goes below 75F and is normally above 85F.
Will the corals have Zooxanthellae or will they expell them?

gregvabch

i think what he's trying to say is that it's a "normal" occurrence and not necessarily harmful to the coral; an adaptation to the temperature in which it's in..... i think :D
it's my understanding that the main thing affecting zooxanthellae production is the amount of sunlight received in combination with what each species receives in the form of sustenance from its environment.
i've never read anything about temperature affecting the production/expulsion of zooxanthellae..... i'd like to read the articles you're referring to if possible because it's pretty interesting to me....... greg

dburr

Anyone have the National Geographic nov 2004 issue?
page 60, end of 2nd paragragh. "in Figi corals can survive in waters up to about 86 deg. F. Beyond that, it's like asking corals to shift into a gear they just don't have."
I like to know where 75 comes from. I run my tanks at 78-80 and it's been 4 years now. If your statment was true my corals should be dead. I do have a few that have been with me for 4 years too.

bang guy

Just do a search on Southern Red Sea Corals. These are the guys that have the overdrive gear to survive 90F+ temperatures.