CandyCane GROWTH????

meowzer

I have had this candycane for 16 months...bought it as a one head frag...got 2.....it has never split, but the heads have doubled in size....The larger one usually has one mouth directly in the center, the last 2 days I have noticed multiple mouths on the larger head...does this mean it is going to split??? (finally)

speg

I'd say so. That looks like four mouths in the pic or no?
Feed it every other day. They'll split fast once they start.

meowzer

YUP....Looks like 4 to me too :) I get so mad..lol..I read a lot of threads, and when people say HEYYYY I just got a candy cane alst week and it split
I'm like WHATTTTTTTTTTTTTT

meowzer

Well I feed the tank every day with a large variety...all soaked in vitamins. I tried to feed the candycane specifically, but it would never hold onto anything
I even tried at night...so let's just say it feeds off the tank
I also use some phyto stuff, coral foods and such periodically..(LOL...I'd have to get up and look their names up and I'm lazy)

speg

that could be the problem then. the tentacles aren't coming out or they are? Mine usually feed well but some nights they just won't extend their tentacles at all.

meowzer

you know, they have never had large tentacles like some of the others I have seen pics of, but when I feed, their mouths do open

speg

Originally Posted by meowzer
http:///forum/post/3273996
you know, they have never had large tentacles like some of the others I have seen pics of, but when I feed, their mouths do open
I'll try to get a pic of mine when they're ready to feed. May take a day.

meowzer

OK....when mine eat they look like the pics above....when it is not feeding time, you really can not see the mouths

speg

do you have a pic of them that's not so close up so I can see the whole coral?
please.

speg

well here's mine. The first pic is without any tentacle extension and the other two you should be able to see them.
We obviously have different types of candy canes. The mouths on mine are always visible and when they get hungry they tend to almost look like a balloon because their polyps swell really big.

speg

Yeah, there's lots of different ones. I like the ones that glow green--pretty cool.
I like yours. Those polyps look huge.

btwk12

i wouldnt b able to have a slow growing coral like that, i get mad if i dont c growth in a month or two lol! but 16 months WOW!

xcali1985

Those are the trumpet kind and yes they are the slower growing kind. Try placing them in a higher flow area of the tank and more light to see if that stimulates them. I usually kill all flow in my tank then pour a mix of photo and zoo plankton on them slowly. The start to open fast. a little broadcast shot before sometimes helps the process along with getting them to open up.

meowzer

They're kinda stuck where they are, but I have a lot of flow going on....they are also in the center of the tank..heightwize...under 250W metal halides....I feed all different stuff....I guess they will grow more when they are ready..lol

xcali1985

My daisy polyps were like that, didn't grow for 6 months now i cant stop them. Starting to swap out rocks and sell them. They encust 10x10 rocks within 2 months. LFS gives me 60$ a rock. on top of that they seem to love base rock so its cheap.