Canister Filter blowing bubbles

revrick3

I had a defective Marineland 360 cannister that they replaced with new unit, it would not stop leaking from around the seal. This one hasnt leaked but has started blowing micro-bubbles. tried tech at Marineland and their recommendations didnt help, took unit apart, checked all gaskets and o-rings, lubricated all of the and all seems well, no bad hoses or connections, I have even shook the unti and tilted it several times to get any trapped air out. I followed their instructions but it hasnt helped. It will shoot a small burst of bubbles about every 15 seconds, then seem to stop, then their they are again, It is keeping my tank messed up and bubbles on everything. No fish yet so that isnt an issue. Any suggetstions from you guys, this is driving me crazy.

sickboy

I'm not quite sure about how to stop this, but it may quick as the filter gets broken in.

b0b82

It is sucking air somewhere.Check the seals on the sucking side.You can also turn it off and look for leaks.

aztec reef

Take it appart and look for leaks,clogs,detrius buildup,clean if necessary, reasemble and try it again.

revrick3

Just did all this again few minutes ago, took apart along with hoses apart and reinstalled everything, no clog, no leak visible. contacted Marinland again and they are sending me out another unit, this is second replacement in 2 weeks, starting to wonder about this filter. Thanks for help, if you have any other ideas let me know.

jordan01gts

I have the same problem, have had the marineland 360 for less than a year and now it keeps blowing bubbles every 10 - 20 seconds.

jordan01gts

I just cleaned the cannister and changed the o-rings on the hose manifold, it appears to have fixed the problem, 10 minutes with no bubbles yet

indy2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by revrick3 http:///forum/thread/335582/canister-filter-blowing-bubbles#post_2775624
I had a defective Marineland 360 cannister that they replaced with new unit, it would not stop leaking from around the seal. This one hasnt leaked but has started blowing micro-bubbles. tried tech at Marineland and their recommendations didnt help, took unit apart, checked all gaskets and o-rings, lubricated all of the and all seems well, no bad hoses or connections, I have even shook the unti and tilted it several times to get any trapped air out. I followed their instructions but it hasnt helped. It will shoot a small burst of bubbles about every 15 seconds, then seem to stop, then their they are again, It is keeping my tank messed up and bubbles on everything. No fish yet so that isnt an issue. Any suggetstions from you guys, this is driving me crazy.
Disconnect it and "THROW IT THE TRASH" Your just wasting your time and money...They last about 6 months and they start having issue..been there done that..and I don't care what kind of brand..your going to have problem with canister filters..Take your money and invest in a good wet/dry sump...

gemmy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy2009 http:///forum/thread/335582/canister-filter-blowing-bubbles#post_3337745
Disconnect it and "THROW IT THE TRASH" Your just wasting your time and money...They last about 6 months and they start having issue..been there done that..and I don't care what kind of brand..your going to have problem with canister filters..Take your money and invest in a good wet/dry sump...
That statement is inaccurate. The issue with canister filters stems from neglecting to do the proper maintenance on them. I have been using a canister filter with no issues. My water parameters are great.

al&burke

From what I know with canister filter you should make sure that any connections on the suction side of the pump are submerged in water, ie - i have an FX5 and they come with a grilled inlet then it connects to the hose that goes to the filter, they said when you put it together to make sure the rubber connection is fully submersed, so if it did leak a bit you are not sucking air. Hope this helps.

indy2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemmy http:///forum/thread/335582/canister-filter-blowing-bubbles#post_3337749
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indy2009
http:///forum/thread/335582/canister-filter-blowing-bubbles#post_3337745
That statement is inaccurate. The issue with canister filters stems from neglecting to do the proper maintenance on them. I have been using a canister filter with no issues. My water parameters are great.
Maintenance and Neglect in some cases maybe true..but I'm speaking from personal experience, in my case it was not due to maintenance nor neglect, they seem to clog on a constant basis, they malfunction, you have to replace parts etc, i've used them for the first 1yr 1/2 (Saltwater).. now in the hobby going on 4 yrs.. from cheap 50.00 all the way up to 400.00 canisters to me it was more of a headache, having to break it down take it back and upgrade to a better one...I strongly believe they should only used on fresh or brackish tanks...I have them running on my 75 gallon fresh and a 72 gallon brackish..with "NO PROBLEMS"...And what does your water parameters have to do with it? That has nothing to do with what the "original post" was asking...

al&burke

Another thing that I did was slightly back off on the return of the canister and the bubbles should go away, mine did anyways. My FX5 has two separate shut off's.