Canister Filters, best - worst?

firedog

I have Fluval and I am happy with them (one ea for my fresh and saltwater tanks).
But you can't count my opinion because I haven't used another brand of canister.

partsman

i've been very happy with my Fluval 404 over the last years , first using it on a fish only rank with full chambers . now with the conversion to reef i'm only running carbon - with of course the mechanical filter pads .
works 4 me anyway...............and has been the most reliable so far i've used .
Michael
Katrina Land , louisiana

dragonzim

I've been using an Eheim 2217 for about 2 years now. Aside from cleaning it out every few months its been maintenance free and VERY effective. I havent used any other brands though so I really dont have a good comparison.

ty dragon

I love the Eheim on Turtle tanks...Haven't used them on Fish though....They don't clog as fast as the Fluvals do nor the Proquatics (Petsmart) junk ones.
Just a PITA to clean out....But I think all of them are a PAIN....The Eheims fill from the bottom and clean comes out of the top...Lots of room for the bio stuff !!!

S

saltlight

I have the Filstar XP3. Very easy to clean and does a great job with the water. I like the flexibility with adding media to the top basket!
saltlight

69stang

i have been using a magnum 350 for 12 yrs. it still works great, easy to clean, and you can buy a pro with bio wheel and attachments for $89. online. i also have a fluval and i think it is a pain in the butt. just my opinion, go with your gut

lion_crazz

Originally Posted by Cartman101
I dont have one, should I get one of these?
No, as long as you have a filter, you are fine. This is just another type. I still like sumps the best.

yimmy

I have a nu-clear canister...cost like 160$ though...I'm upgrading to a sump and skimmer and stuff soon

saltfan

I have a Nu-Clear using a 25mic filter. Things are great, has a spot in the center for medea, and can run up to 1600gph, I have a 1537gph on it and its very nice.

ophiura

If you are still in the planning stages, I personally would reconsider using a cannister filter at all. I would personally go with a sump or wet/dry depending on what sort of things you are keeping.

T

thomas712

Originally Posted by ophiura
If you are still in the planning stages, I personally would reconsider using a cannister filter at all. I would personally go with a sump or wet/dry depending on what sort of things you are keeping.
Amen to that. Although I do have a canister filter, it sits on the shelf until truly needed for special occations. Perhpas to occationally polish the water or for emergancy use.
Thomas

nytrillium

I have a magnum 250 HOT. I like it. All i use it for is to run carbon every few weeks though. Right now it is providing flow in my 20 long with newly cycled rock.

maxalmon

Originally Posted by ophiura
I have a 404 and was using it to filter water and circulation. Ophiura would you skip the canister all together, I've got 4 tanks going up and this one is a fish only, 90g, LS, wet/dry.

ophiura

If you have a properly sized wet dry, I see no need to use the canister for anything more than polishing now and then. It is redundant. I would add a powerhead for some circulation. Do you have any LR?

phixer

I dont own a canister filter. Would like to get one soon. The Diatom filters by Vortex are outstanding for freshwater tanks, and claim that they wont disturb benificial bacteria in marine systems. I havent heard much mention of them for marine tanks though.

maxalmon

The wet/dry is sized for the tank. 2" LS bed. 96w compact light with moonlight. This is a show tank and is 36" tall, so I skipped LR for this tank. It's filled with coral heads that I have had for 15-20 years (I will no longer buy them) I simply don't want the look of LR in this tank as I don't think it will do very well at this depth? Or should I atleast try some LR? Maybe try and pile it up high..

ophiura

Originally Posted by Phixer
I dont own a canister filter. Would like to get one soon. The Diatom filters by Vortex are outstanding for freshwater tanks, and claim that they wont disturb benificial bacteria in marine systems. I havent heard much mention of them for marine tanks though.

Rarely are diatom filters used for any more than short term clarifying of a tank...maybe run for a few hours for polishing.
They won't disturb the bacteria because those are on surfaces...but, IMO at least, in a reef tank they would be somewhat detrimental. If a tank is running well, IMO, there is just no need for a diatom filter other than for use now and then like after a water change.
Maxalmon - is this a predator tank or with large fish? Anyway, IMO if the wet dry is the right size, there shouldn't be a problem, so long as the tank is not overstocked, etc. But then a canister won't help you much if it is anyway.